Skip to content

Funniest paladin kit?

ShireShire Member Posts: 58
I was gonna ask for the best kit, but they probably go hand in hand. ^^

Im currently on my solo playthrough, but its so damn fun to think, create and build a new character so im already thinking about my next one.

Im gonna play a duo with Aerie.
My male paladin will protect and service my romance and future family with his life and the big juicy Carsomyr.

What kit experiences do you guys have?
Post edited by Shire on

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Cavalier. Losing access to missile weapons isn't really a downer since... who uses those on a paladin anyway? Blackguard is also neat though.
    Dragonspear
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Inquisitor > Blackguard > Cavalier > Undead Hunter > Paladin

If you play on low difficulty setups, Blackguard may be better than Inquisitor.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2013
    Inquisitor. No mage will ever be threatening when you've torn down all of their defenses with one dispel.
  • ShireShire Member Posts: 58
    I will play on core.
    Considering Carsomyr also dispell magic, does that remove the pros about Inquisitor a little bit? Or is his dispell and also true sight still much better?
  • CelsoCelso Member Posts: 3
    I've been alternating Cavalier and Inquisitor for a decade...
    I have the impression that after you get Carsomyr, you don't realy need the dispel...
    And in your specific case, Aerie could provide the true sight.
    And for more information, look to this link:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/18521/best-builds-for-a-long-term-paladin-either-inquisitor-or-cavalier
    [Deleted User]
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    It depends on how you play your game. If you are using SCS, for example, many mages will protect themselves with Protection from Magic Weapons, which means Carsomyr cannot hit them and thus not dispel them. Inquisitor Dispel is also instant cast (unlike any other dispels, including Carsomyr's on-use), dispels at a much higher level (=higher chance of success) and dispels multiple targets at once (you'd need to hit them all with Carsomyr). Lastly, Carsomyr can be more difficult to acquire if you're using a high difficulty setup.

The True Sight is also very, very useful. In fact, I often find myself using TS much more than Dispel Magic. Like the Dispel, the Inquisitor's TS is also instant cast, which can be quite relevant.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It depends a lot on whether you're playing BG1 or 2, but overall I think Blackguard is the best.

Cavalier: His immunities to fear, charm and poison are incredibly relevant in BG1, but so is his lack of missile weapons. I'm never sure how useful his +3s vs dragons and demons are since those enemies aren't that frequent.

Undead Hunter: His immunities are far more relevant in BG2 and while undead typical aren't as hard as demons or dragons, you do fight a lot more of them.

Inquisitor: A bit different to the others, having two great abilities but being significantly worse than the others in a fight in BG2 since he lacks spellcasting. Spellcasting doesn't come into BG1 for paladins so he doesn't lose out there, but neither are his Dispel or True Sight as useful as BG2.

Blackguard: Immunity to fear is great in BG1 and level drain is great in BG2. His poison weapon ability is *really* good in BG1. He can still use missile weapons and has spellcasting so he's great in both games. No real disadvantage at all.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Mmm, dispels...

But for your game I would go with Cavalier. It fits the idea much better. They're the classic dragon-slaying knights in shining armor, and who better to guard a lady than that? You don't want Aerie to be stuck with a militant zealot like an Inquisitor, after all.
    Shire
    edited November 2013
    nano said:

Mmm, dispels...

But for your game I would go with Cavalier. It fits the idea much better. They're the classic dragon-slaying knights in shining armor, and who better to guard a lady than that? You don't want Aerie to be stuck with a militant zealot like an Inquisitor, after all.

Ive been leaning towards Cavalier also for the knight reasons and such. Thanks for making me decide! ^^
    Also thanks to all the rest for your input. I love a good discussion.
    nano
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Funniest? I guess Undead Hunter. But only if you
    Align with Bodhi. Especially if you go with the hero option
    Post edited by elminster on
    EudaemoniumShirejackjackMontresor_SP
    Ninjachanging the subject abit. What stat can i dump a little if needed? Str and buy the belt asap?
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    For what you describe, I'd definitely go with a cavalier. It just suits the knight and his lady approach better than the rest. It's hard to name a dump stat on a paladin, especially if you are going to duo and run the entire series. Intelligence isn't really that necessary for 98% of a paladin run, although if you go too low you will have a not-so-fun time with the mind flayers. You really don't need a super high strength since there are so many strength-boosting items in the game, but you'll want to start with at least enough strength to wear decent armor early in the earliest parts of the game.
    Shire
    I should add that i will jump to BG2 direcly since its a duo with a BG2 npc afterall.
    Gonna roll abit and if im forced to i will lower str abit and buy that 19str belt as soon as possible.
    Should be able to afford it right after circus tent and shadow thieves questline which got a crazy 10k+ final reward.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Shire said:

Im gonna play a duo with Aerie.
    My male paladin will protect and service my romance and future family with his life and the big juicy Carsomyr.

Blackguard would be most entertaining...protecting your little...elven...#R- RATED COMMENTS THAT SHOULD NOT BE READ BY ANYONE#
    Shire
    Opsie. Ive never rolled higher than 92-93 or so. Now i get this while making my Paladin!
    BG1.jpg 308.5K
    Aristillius
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Why the really high Wisdom? Do Paladins get benefits from it now or is their requirement just super high?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Not sure, but I think 13 is the min wisdom.
    edited November 2013
    I should add that its the stats before i touched them. I just got a big "wow" and took screenshot right away. ^^

18/94 str
    18 dex
    18 con
    11 int
    14 wis
    18 car

Imagining playing though BG1 and get all the tomes... But i wont, takes alot of time.

EDIT: Yes 13 wis is min. Ill let it stay on 14 since 11 int is somewhat of a magic number anyway.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    ryuken87 said:

Inquisitor: A bit different to the others, having two great abilities but being significantly worse than the others in a fight in BG2 since he lacks spellcasting. Spellcasting doesn't come into BG1 for paladins so he doesn't lose out there, but neither are his Dispel or True Sight as useful as BG2.

Instant True Sight and instant+double level Dispel is much better/useful than any possible cleric spells you can get. It's not funny at all...
    Vithar
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    The problem that I've always had with Inquisitors is that their dispel magic also dispels your own party's protections in addition to those of your enemies - so yes, they are very powerful, but also a bit reckless.

Cavaliers are very well suited for BG1 (assuming others in your party can compensate for their inability to use ranged weapons), but Undead Hunters surpass them as better suited for BG2 IMO. Blackguards may be the consistently best kit through both games - assuming you don't mind playing as an evil char (and unable to use Carsomyr).

Ive started my Cav and picked up Aerie. Gave the church some money and started doing easy reputationquests to get 20 asap. Did the tanner, Cooper Coronet will be next. Followup gives me Lillacor. First on shoppinglist is Robe of Vecna, Bracers ac3 and probably Plate of Balduran.

Already got the throwing axe from the party in sewers so no problem there!
    Dragonspear