Skip to content

Heal not curing confusion?

PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
Problem: Heal doesn't cure Confusion when cast on a character.

Expected Behaviour: Since Heal heals mental disorders caused by spells or injury to the brain, one would assume it to heal a confused mental state.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    It never did. I don't think it should either.
    It's not a real change in the brain made by a spell but rather a continuous magical effect. In the original AD&D player's handbook there is nothing about healing or removing it, but consider this: the deafness spell can ONLY removed by dispell magic, so I believe it's the same.
    (although one can argue that deafness is just an illusion)
  • AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    edited November 2013
    if deafness were an illusion, it would be of the illusion school.
    instead, it's alteration, which means it's actually temporarily changing your ears not to work. not as if it's causing damage to your ears, or else healing would work, but probably something along the lines of a birth defect-type of effect. heal doesn't solve these types of problems on its own.
    confusion has to be a similar idea - except that it's an enchantment. it's not any sort of damage that's been inflicted on you, but your mind simply isn't able to interpret the information running through it properly. perhaps it's like a fog in your head that you struggle and fail to think through. the actual neural pathways of your brain haven't been altered, but the way they would normally function is being changed by the spell.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited November 2013
    Aranneas said:

if deafness were an illusion, it would be of the illusion school.
    instead, it's alteration, which means it's actually temporarily changing your ears not to work. not as if it's causing damage to your ears, or else healing would work, but probably something along the lines of a birth defect-type of effect. heal doesn't solve these types of problems on its own.
    confusion has to be a similar idea - except that it's an enchantment. it's not any sort of damage that's been inflicted on you, but your mind simply isn't able to interpret the information running through it properly. perhaps it's like a fog in your head that you struggle and fail to think through. the actual neural pathways of your brain haven't been altered, but the way they would normally function is being changed by the spell.

Deafness was an Illusion/Phantasm in the original player's handbook. http://s9.postimg.org/3mju9jj8v/deafness.jpg
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Technically, the description of heal says it should cure confusion and any other mental issues caused by spells.

That said if someone can confirm this also didn't occur in the original BG2 game (i.e. BG2 didn't have heal cure confusion either), I'll close this off as working as intended, since I believe that is in fact the case.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Thanks Gate, Will move this to Not an Issue. -- Working as intended.