Skip to content

Shoplifting nerfed?

Using Hexxat at a pickpocket skill level of 185 I was unable to remove anything from Gorch, the shadow vendor, or the vendor in the copper coranet. I reloaded and tried Yoshimo also to no avail. I was able to grab a minor amount of gold, a gem and a worthless scroll, but no items. It's been a long time since I have played BG2 but from what I remember that was the easiest way to get started. It is going to be much harder to gear up if I actually have to buy items.

Honestly I have no problem with it if it is a nerf, I was just wondering if I was doing something stupid preventing me from going on a shoplifting spree.

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I dunno about the rest, but Bernard has always required a ridiculously high skill (>200) to pickpocket with any success.
  • luvfatfishluvfatfish Member Posts: 6
    I tried a fourth potion (225) and couldn't get anything off of Benard, Joluv, the shadow vendor or Gorch. I get the "The target has no items that a cut-purse of your skill can steal."
    I just tried Gorch, the Shadow Vendor, Joluv and Benard at a pickpocket skill of 270 (which seems to be the cap you can get to with potions) and no luck on either with Hexxat. Unless my IQ has been drained by Triptophan, I don't think you can shoplift anymore
    I just went on a shoplifting spree to all the vendor's I could find in the adventurers mart area of the promenade. I got the regeneration ring off of Ribald, but nothing else. I could swear I used to be able to shoplift from at least Perter in the promenade and the scrolls off of Lady Yuth. Maybe I am mistaken?
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563

200 should be more than enough to shoplift from Ribald in the Adventurer's Mart.

Ribald doesn't have the option to steal from his store.
    I would chalk this one up to my memory being bad, but I checked out a guide on game faq's that mentioned shoplifting from some of the same vendors. Maybe it was changed sometime in the decade before the EE or in the EE.

Fine by me though. I would rather play a bit less exploity (new word FTW) anyway. I just wanted to clear out Gorch before he became unavailable...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Are you trying to pick pocket them rather than steal from their shop inventory? To steal from their shop inventory you actually have to talk to them and then go over to the "Steal" section of their inventory. I just did it with Gorch and it worked out ok.
    TJ_HookerEudaemonium
    Wow... Apparently I lost quite a few intelligence points in the intervening years since I last played this game. Thanks for your help Elminster!
    Eudaemoniumelminsterithildurnew
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    *facepalm* haha
    Eudaemonium
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Wow... Apparently I lost quite a few intelligence points in the intervening years since I last played this game. Thanks for your help Elminster!

Age does this to us all, don't feel too bad. XD
    albinocobra
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Ok, so this is a non-issue?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Avenger_teambg: Absolutely. It was fairly obvious from the start, and by the time I read the third comment by luvfatfish, I was already going, "Man, you're trying it the wrong way!"

Ah well, it happens.
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    I no using shoplifting there is enough money in the game
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Hafir wrote: »
    I no using shoplifting there is enough money in the game

it can be useful in the early stages when money is still a bit scarce and if you want to "permanently borrow" some spell scrolls for your low level mages, especially if you have 3 of them in your party
  • HafirHafir Member Posts: 97
    I know, I did it before I met BG world better, now I look how to challenge gameplay so like not to use stealing or fast exp gain, rewards boom option. Now for example I'm choosing like my aligment middle; so neutral options in dialoque etc
    sarevok57