Skip to content

Viability of a Golem NPC Mod

KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
One thing that always disappointed me was the "golem" that you get at the end of the Mage Stronghold. You can ask it to wait, patrol or follow you, but can't ask it to do much else. This is a shame because it has many strengths (though it can still be killed...I've had it happen before in the initial Lord Argrim ambush).

Basically my question is this: is it possible to make a golem NPC mod that would use the golem paper doll? The Big Metal Unit already makes a standard PC doll look like a golem, so it shouldn't be too hard to have something like this as an unremovable "suit of armor" for the golem NPC that gives it its buffed statistics.

Obviously such an NPC would have at most limited banters, but he could be upgradeable through quests or through giving up certain items and whatnot.

Comments

• AranneasAranneas Member Posts: 282
    no reason at all this shouldn't be doable ^.^ you can set a creature's animation to anything, and any NPC can be made to join the party.
    I'd just recommend you stick to one of the smaller golem models just so your new companion will continue to fit through doorways and such.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I would be careful with golems. They have 100% magic resistance and that is very, very powerful. Basically golem would smash any mage/lich who would not have Imprisoment or Lower Resistance. Golem is also immune to mind affecting spells/abilities so mind flyers would not have means to kill him (golems don´t have a brain).
  • belascobelasco Member Posts: 18
    I think a sentient golem using the human paperdoll and all brown coloring would be an interesting npc.
  • KogornKogorn Member Posts: 104
    @velehal Liches can still summon pit fiends and other craziness that could take a golem on...so I'm not worried about balance there....and beholders have disintegrate (doesn't that work on golems?). You'd be right regarding mind flayers though. I know SCS gives them additional psionic abilities that work regardless of resistance (i.e. ballistic attack), but in the vanilla game it would be really overpowered against them.

Anyway, if I decide to do this it would probably take a good long while. With law school behind me I finally have time to learn how to use WeiDu, but it will take awhile for me to become familiar with it.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    My current play through of bgII I am a bhaal spawn thats soul was cast out of its body by a being from the far realm. He came back to life by taking control of an advanced golem which had not yet been activated by its master so this would be a vary interesting mod especially if it also added the golem or construct as a playable race.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    i would be careful with doorways. a golem npc might not be able to fit through all the narrow corridors in the game, because unless it's a bg style flesh golem, they are all significantly bigger than PCs.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    If someone could shrink it a little or make a completely different paper doll if possable it might work
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

i would be careful with doorways. a golem npc might not be able to fit through all the narrow corridors in the game, because unless it's a bg style flesh golem, they are all significantly bigger than PCs.

ctrl + J
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Um.. considering that there is already the upgradeable (ToB) Golem manual which already gives you a Golem - ok.. not exactly a NPC and just once a day for 10 rounds, but still you can get a Golem anyway.
  • AkuroAkuro Member Posts: 93
    Hey,

what about combining my idea of changing the familiars into specific golems with special abilities?
    Therefore you wouldn't need an NPC slot AND have solved the problems with doors ("Command golem: Disassemble yourself and assume cube shape." instead of "Get into my pocket you little prick!" harhar)

I mean - you didn't use your familiars at all, did you? ;)