Skip to content

Sorcerer or Blade?

Byakko110Byakko110 Member Posts: 11
So I recently got both the enhanced editions for Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 off of Steam and with some free time coming up I've decided I'm going to try to play through the whole series, from the original to the end of Throne of Bhaal. Now, I'm not exactly new to the series; Baldur's Gate 2 was actually one of the first games I ever played. However it has been some time since I last played and so I'm curious to hear what other people's thoughts are.

While just about every class looks interesting I think I want to try this run with either a Bard, specifically a Blade, or a Sorcerer. To me they make some of the most "sense" given your character's background and they each offer some fun options. The Blade brings a lot of variety from swords to magic as well what is still a decent lore value, so I might be able to save money/magic on identify. Whereas from what I understand the Sorcerer can wield phenomenal cosmic power when built right, and who doesn't enjoy that? So between these two, which would you prefer and why?

Comments

• KladozKladoz Member Posts: 13
    I'd say that Blade is a more fun class. Mage spells and some solid combat abilities along with general bardiness

But a sorcerer will be much stronger once you achieve a decent level
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Sorcerer, if you're familiar with the spells so as to not unintentionally gimp yourself.

Blade if... Well, I suppose if you don't like Fighter/Mage/Thief.
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    I'm playing as a dragon disciple (sorc kit). You get a dragon fire attack once per day, better AC, and 2 constitution bonuses, at the cost of 1 spell per level. If start with 18 constitution, after you collect up the 2 constitution bonuses, your character can naturally get regeneration, which is pretty cool. The dragon fire attack is good for clearing out a room. As for the fewer spells, it really isn't *that* many fewer. You'll still be able to work well as a caster.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited November 2013
    Sorcerer.. as I already mentioned in another thread, I value the BG series as one of (if not even) "THE" best D&D CRPGs for playing an arcane spellcaster.. the sheer power, variety and fun you can have with them is unmatched. But like @Pantalion hinted, esp. as Sorcerer you should be quite familiar with how the spell-system works.. but you can find enough help around here and also could test your build(s) a bit for yourself with "The Black Pits" series for example.

Don't ever make a bet with a tiefling. - Planar proverb.
    booinyoureyesDragonspearJonelethIrenicusJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    DragonspearjackjackThrasymachusJuliusBorisov
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    After level 4, the sorcerer is the most powerful class in the game. (With the right spell selections, of course)
    By the end of ToB a sorcerer can kill whatever it wants, whenever it wants to. If your looking for ridiculous power, sorcerer is the way to go.
    If you want to have a little fun, then go with the blade. They are powerful if you know how to use them, and bards are cool all around. The lore is fun, and so is pickpocketing.
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    I prefer the Blade. Blade (and bard in general) is my go-to class every time, in any game that offers them. I love the concept of the bard, I think they're incredibly fun to play and are very versatile in their playstyle.
    LuciusDei
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I would say sorcerer.
    JonelethIrenicus
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I love them both, two of my absolut favorites! But to have fun with a sorceror, you should know your spells quite well and it's not wrong to already have some preferences how to play with mages. A Blade is more difficult to screw up.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    Send me any questions you have, I've played them a LOT. :-D
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    Byakko110 said:

Astafas said:

A Blade is more difficult to screw up.

Challenge accepted.

Huh, does that mean you're choosing a blade, or you're going to try your hardest to nerf your bard, lol?
  • Byakko110Byakko110 Member Posts: 11
    Lace said:

Byakko110 said:

Astafas said:

Challenge accepted.

Huh, does that mean you're choosing a blade, or you're going to try your hardest to nerf your bard, lol?
    Nah, I'm still on the fence. It's just when people say I can't fail at something I get the powerful urge to prove them wrong. I try to keep that trait off my resume...
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Byakko110 said:

Lace said:

Byakko110 said:

Astafas said:

Challenge accepted.

Nah, I'm still on the fence. It's just when people say I can't fail at something I get the powerful urge to prove them wrong. I try to keep that trait off my resume...
    Leaving traits like that off your resume is simple. You can't fail.
    aqzina
  • Byakko110Byakko110 Member Posts: 11
    Fardragon said:

Byakko110 said:

Leaving traits like that off your resume is simple. You can't fail.

Well, the bad news I just lost my job. The good news is I have way more time to play Baldur's Gate now.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    So I went for blade and it's a blast but you gotta do the bard quest early cuz you get an amazing armor however I have resently switched it out for the jesters chain cuz I've found that you get so many magic items to protect yourself that you don't need your spells and you become a god at killing with just your swords at late game in fact I barly use neera anymore cuz my charname just one hits everything
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    I'm finding my blade very underwhelming in BG1. Offensive spin doesn't last through the early game whiff fest fights, not enough pickpocket to nab anything (without a few potions), and fairly limited spell number like any early caster. One thing a lot of guides and forum discussions about blades never really get into is the limited duration of offensive spin- the class is usually discussed as if the spin is up, which really isn't the case in BG1.

Of course, part of my problem might be that I'm in multiplayer with two buff fighter types; don't really need clever play for most fights and blade doesn't compare in melee. The class might shine more on a harder difficulty (we're on core) or with weaker party so you need to be tricky to win tough fights.
    nanoAstafas
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @HandofTyr I agree. I found the Blade to be pretty limited in BG1 because you don't get enough uses of Offensive Spin to use it often. THAC0 is critically important at early levels and the low level, rogue progression and lack of specialization means you're nearly useless when the spin isn't up. Fighters get fighter thac0, specialization+, and 18/xx strength all of which contribute a couple points and makes them hit harder and far more often than a non-spinning Blade.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    Yeah whenever I run a Blade through the saga, I use a crossbow through most of BG1. I build toward TWF, but don't start to melee consistently until near the end of the first game.

Edit: Bows also work, of course. Personal preference.
    nano
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, I end up forgoing melee and use them as more destructive versions of mages by giving them a wand of fire and a bow to shoot in between fireballs. They can dish out a ton of damage if you give them some arrows of detonation on top of that and use offensive spin. Four fireballs a round, hehehehe... Not very blade like but awesome in its own way.

Come to think of it, I wonder if the max damage part of the spin affects arrows of detonation.
    Astafas
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I definitely regret starting longsword/dagger on my blade at the start. I would have picked Bow/Crossbow/Dart for sure, since bg 1 is a lot easier if you only send in 1 meatshield and just sit back webbing and blowing things up from a distance
    EudaemoniumAstafas
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Blades in bg1 are vary underwhelming but I love them anyway
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I strongly prefer blades over sorcerers. (I prefer mages over sorcerers as well.)

In BG1, I highly recommend that a blade choose proficiency in daggers. They can be thrown (and get the blade's strength bonus to damage), and one of the best melee weapons in the game is a dagger (dagger of venom). The scimitar is another good weapon for a blade (esp. if you pickpocket the nice ones off of Drizzt later in the game).

With throwing daggers and scimitars, a low level blade can do okay. Build up two-weapon fighting (proficiencies at levels 4 and 8). Once the blade has two points in 2-weapon fighting at level 8, she/he will be pretty solid at combat.

And be sure to hang out with Dorn long enough to get something very helpful for all bards…
    DragonspearJuliusBorisovjackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    If only it didn't turn me green.