Skip to content

#7219 [CORE] - Pick Pockets over 255.

PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Issue: Believe this is a legacy bug as well, but after raising Pick Pockets to 315, shop keeper caught every attempt at thievery. When stopping at 245, successfully robbed shop keeper blind with multiple successes.

Expected behaviour: Either pickpockets caps at 255 and cannot be raised further, or amounts about 255 should have improved effect.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    No problem, potions do cap out at around 290 (mine capped at 295 from a 135 base skill), then a potion of Mind Focusing will take you higher.

I suppose the theoretical highest would be a 3 dex character pumped via Master Thievery potions to the soft cap, then potions of Mind Focusing to bring Dex up to 25.

I can supply a savegame if you really want, but it's not merchant/potion specific, so it's trivial to mock up values in EE Keeper and see the sudden drop in success rate.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Here you are, standing next to a merchant with two potions chugged (245 Pick Pockets). Potions popped onto the quickbar.

If you drink a single potion your success rate will drop instantly, whilst staying without drinking further should offer a minimal chance of failure.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @Pantalion: Where's the cut point? Is it 255 or beyond? That makes a huge difference in this discussion.

If the cut point is 255, it's an 8 bit issue. If the cut point is above 255, then there's another issue involved.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    It's 255. It's an overflow issue present in the original BG2 as well.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Yea, confirmed the 255 Integer overflow. The bug has been updated and upgraded to a "B".