Skip to content

Is it a good idea?

Bg2 quit2 working on my old computer a couple years back and would not load on my laptop. A week or so ago, missing the game, I tried reloading it on my laptop again. It works, but with problems. Seems my favorite old mods are a bit buggy nowadays. Saerileth crashes when her big adventure comes up and a bunch of other little annoying things.

My wife wants to get me EE for Christmas, but I have questions first.
1. Do I have to unload the mods that are working?
2, Does it enhance the old mods, or some of them?
3. Can I use old mods?
4. Can I still use debug mode?
5. Is it more fun?

Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Your "old" mods most likely won't work on EE, and they won't automatically transfer over.
    Most of the mod owners have updated their mods to work with EE, but not all.
    You may not need some of the mods, some things have been fixed that were always fixed by mods before. You can still go into console and mess around.
    Yes, it's more fun. :)
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited December 2013
    1 and 3: It looks like most mods are compatible (or will be) with BG2:EE. Here's a complete list:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1

2: No, but EE does seem to have breathed some new life into the BG modding community, so you might see some tweaks and improvements to old mods coming from the modders themselves (if they're still active).

4: Yes

5: That depends on personal preference. I really like the new kits, the UI and other tweaks make a big difference, and the new NPCs and related quests are imho well done and in keeping with the original story/tone. For 25 bucks, I would definitely recommend it.
  • FredtaFredta Member Posts: 3
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a try.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    A different system isn't necessarily going to run the original BG games any better than the one Fredta has now. Newer computers are generally not going to get along with them well. I suppose it might be possible to find someone selling an old computer that will run it okay, but then the question is how long will that old computer last.

This is sort of the point of the EE versions. Fans of the games now have the option to play them (with improvements, fixes, and additional content as a bonus) on modern hardware.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited December 2013
    Emptiness said:

A different system isn't necessarily going to run the original BG games any better than the one Fredta has now. Newer computers are generally not going to get along with them well. I suppose it might be possible to find someone selling an old computer that will run it okay, but then the question is how long will that old computer last.

This is sort of the point of the EE versions. Fans of the games now have the option to play them (with improvements, fixes, and additional content as a bonus) on modern hardware.

That and buying a different system will probably cost a lot more.

The EE works great on every PC I've installed it on, and it's just as fun (more so, I would argue) as the game you remember. I would recommend buying it directly from Beamdog and not Steam, however - both to support the developer and to ensure that you receive the fastest updates.