Skip to content

Does haste grant an extra attack?

I always thought it did. On the character sheet no extra attack is shown, yet i feel like i do in fact get an extra attack per round when playing. Is this the case, or is it just improved movement?

Also, there is no difference between the haste from a spell or the boots of speed, right? Unlike in Icewind Dale I

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I dunno. I'm pretty sure Haste seems to stack with the Boots of Speed. I don't know if its intentional, but characters definitely speed up under haste even if they're wearing the boots, which implies to me that they aren't actually the same effect (or there is a bug/feature that means haste stacks with itself).
    Jairyanna
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    i noticed that too which is why i ask. they move doubly quick.
    How about an extra attack? When I put on the boots of speed it doesn't seem to grant an extra attack on the character sheet. However the spell does.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    In which case I would assume the boots don't actually give you haste, but just increase your movement rate.
    booinyoureyeslolien
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    The boots ONLY improve your movement rate, while Haste actually improves your combat speed as well as your movement rate.

Basically the difference between wearing a bracelet that improves the speed of your arm on your arm versus on your ankle which would speed up your feet. That is how the boots of Speed work. They speed up the part they rest on.
    booinyoureyesDeltaslayerlolien
    Thanks guys! The stupid haste symbol when wearing the boots was messing with my little hamster mind.

So now i WILL cast haste more often, even if it means i need to rest.
    lolien
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, the little icon is its own effect and it doesn't always mean you get the full benefits of haste. Same with the free action symbol - I know there are some items that put the symbol up on your character but it's NOT full free action and you can still get webbed or held or hasted, depending on the item.

For people who use haste just to run around - do you rest every time? I'll use it in battles but it seems kinda ridiculous to haste in order to run somewhere faster and then spend 8 hours sleeping it off.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    Yeah, this is why I removed the buff icons from equipable items. That and Amulet of Power.
    jackjack said:

In PnP, haste is a great shortcut to retirement.

How so @JackJack ?
    jackjack said:

It ages the affected character by one year.

:o:o:o
    QuartzFredjololien
    I guess that does give an advantage to your character if you are elven, dwarven or gnomish

Also that was only 2nd edition (I've actually only played Pathfinder... where it did not age you)
    lolien
    edited November 2013
    @booinyoueyes definitely would be okay to even haste Gorion 60 times since I do not believe they added that little fun fact to the game.
    jackjackbooinyoureyes
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Yeah, the original spell descriptions where copy-pasted from the PnP manuals, even when game implementation differed.
    jackjackstargazerb
    @GemHound It was a joke... about the Saerilith mods age. She's a romanceable 15 year old 0.o
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477

@GemHound It was a joke... about the Saerilith mods age. She's a romanceable 15 year old 0.o

Believe it or not 15 years old people usually do have partners :)
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    I always wondered about that... 15 is young, but not terribly so depending on culture. Now 13, that would be squicky no matter the local age of consent laws.

And it's sort of appropriate as you need to be a teenager yourself not to notice the OTHER, glaring issues with that romance. >_>
    booinyoureyes
    edited November 2013
    i dont think your character is in his teens during the second game though.

EDIT: hmmm.... how is statutory rape punished in Amn? Perhaps an alternate way to get into spellhold?

We must bonk for Imoen!!!!!
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    Fafnirnano
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Only if it's MAGICAL sex.
    booinyoureyes
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    The romance itself is really out of this world (pun intended), but we shouldn't apply western culture on Amn, at least as long as they don't sell space hamsters in pet stores.
    booinyoureyeselminster
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    There is nothing about anything that can make The Mod Which Must Not Be Named okay. Even if she were a few years older. There is a whole thread why on the subject on these forums somewhere.
    Man, I kinda feel bad for the creators. Cuz honestly, it was well made in terms of having a lot of content, being unique and in depth. It just... wasn't my cup of tea, or that of a lot of people.
    She basically took over the entire game. The only way you could even begin to try and enjoy it (not succeed, mind you, just make the attempt) is if you have beaten SoA so many times in the past that you just want a whole new game and don't mind... that... voice...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Heh, all this hate only makes me want to play the mod. Maybe I'll try it on my next run.
    booinyoureyes
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    GemHound said:

The boots ONLY improve your movement rate, while Haste actually improves your combat speed as well as your movement rate.

Basically the difference between wearing a bracelet that improves the speed of your arm on your arm versus on your ankle which would speed up your feet. That is how the boots of Speed work. They speed up the part they rest on.

Fun Fact: Drizzt won a pair of such bracers from a fight with a very strong Drow warrior. His opponent used them on his wrists to make his strikes significantly quicker. After Drizzt defeated him, he tried the bracers and found they were making him unbalanced, the same weakness he exploited in his opponent to win the fight. He decided to attach them to his ankles instead, allowing him to make more technically complicated strikes without loosing his footing. I'm certain these anklets are the only reason Drizzt has been able to match Artemis Enteri mano-et-mano.
    EudaemoniumDragonspearTsyrithlolien
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Tyranus said:

I'm certain these anklets are the only reason Drizzt has been able to match Artemis Enteri mano-et-mano.

I'm sure Entreri would like to think so in order to feel he didn't lead a bitter and lonely life all for nothing. Didn't they have several one-on-one encounters, some of which where all unbalancing factors were nullified? As I recall it they were pretty much 100% evenly matched until Entreri got a little older "and perhaps a little slower".

booinyoureyesDragonspear
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Tyranus
    @Shin

Artemis and Drizzt would end up going head to head in the VERY FIRST trilogy long before Drizzt would get his magical anklets.

And yes Drizzt attached them to his ankles because as @Tyranus said, the speed with which his opponent was able to attack caught him off guard at first. However, after "playing defensively" for a little bit, he began to notice that his opponent had to follow certain attack patterns to make up for the speed thus making him predictable.
    booinyoureyesShin
    edited December 2013
    @Tyranus ... Where do you think I got the example from?

Regardless, the fight in the Crystal Tower between Drizzt and Entreri was devoid of magic(beyond psionics from Kimuriel).
    Drizzt clearly won that fight, yet he lost due to Jarlaxle changing the rules.