Skip to content

Black Pits XP Cap?

I know the Black Pits has an XP cap that is variable based on class (it is essentially a level cap of level 10). How does this work for multiclass or dual class characters? Are they allowed to reach level 10 in each class, or level 10 in one class (and whatever level <= 10 in the other)?

Also, how does it work for dual class? Can I dual class a character at level 9, then earn xp to work my way up to level 10 in the new class and gain the old class abilities back again?

Also, how is this implemented in Black Pits 2 in BG2:EE?

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2013
    The XP cap counts towards all classes.. - here are some examples:

Maximum Level with 161.000 XP:

Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, Cleric, Monk = Level 8
    Mage = Level 9
    Thief, Druid, Bard = Level 10

Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Cleric, Ranger/Cleric, Mage/Cleric = Level 7/7
    Fighter/Druid, Fighter/Thief, Mage/Thief, Cleric/Thief = Level 7/8

Fighter/Mage/Cleric = Level 6/6/6
    Fighter/Mage/Thief = Level 6/6/7

You just can calculate those by using the XP tables. Hope the examples will help.
    butsam said:

Also, how does it work for dual class? Can I dual class a character at level 9, then earn xp to work my way up to level 10 in the new class and gain the old class abilities back again?

It works similar.. you have to look in the XP tables.. what would be possible to get for your 161.000 XP?.. let's say you want a Fighter with 6 levels and then dual to another class.. just check how much XP it will cost to get you that 6 fighter levels (32.000) and hence you know, that you can still spend 129.000 XP for another class (again.. this is just an example if you have to calculate with that 161.000 XP cap).
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    Kurumi, that is the case for the main quest, but what about the Black Pits? I thought the Black Pits had a level cap, not an XP cap, and it is not clear to me how a level cap works for multiclass or dual class characters.
    edited December 2013
    butsam said:

Kurumi, that is the case for the main quest, but what about the Black Pits? I thought the Black Pits had a level cap, not an XP cap, and it is not clear to me how a level cap works for multiclass or dual class characters.

Ah.. yes.. you are correct.. I forgot.. it's a level cap (10 per class) for Black Pits - that's true
    Yes, but is that level 10 for one class, level 10 total (ie, a fighter/mage level 5/5 is "level 10"? I hope not...that is far weaker than a level 10 single-class character), or level 10 in each class (for example you could dual at level 9 and still get up to level 10 in the new class, or you could become a level 10/10 fighter/mage)? It isn't clear to me how it works for multi-class characters...I really hope it isn't level 10 total among all classes (e.g. Fighter/Mage lvl 5/5 is capped since the sum of levels is 10), would make playing a multiclass character fairly worthless in the Black Pits...
    edited December 2013
    Ah.. nope.. it's level 10 for single classes (Druids 11) and for Multi classes you take the XP from the class with the highest XP at Level 10 n split it among the other classes.

Example: Cleric/Ranger (Ranger needs 600.000 XP for Level 10, so you have a 9/9 Cleric/Ranger)

And for dual classes you can't (with the strange exception of Druids) exceed the max XP for a level 10 char in the currently active class after dualing.. hence max 250.000 XP for a character dualed into Mage for example (ie. Fighter/Mage dual 7/9).
    Post edited by Kurumi on
    butsam
    ahh, ok that makes sense. Thanks much for the help!!! :)