Skip to content

Strongest single class Level 1 Character the Elven Archer?

I just started a new game with an Elven Archer, and I am quite impressed with how powerful this kit is!

At level 1 and a composite long bow bought from the prologue inn, and just with standard arrows, my character's stats are as follows:

* THAC0: 14
* Damage per hit: 5-10 (avg: 7.5)
* Attacks per round: 5/2
* AC: 4 (could be lower, but I am wearing regular leather armor, not studded leather)

For a pure class level 1 character, that is incredible! I'm not sure how half of an attack works in AD&D2e, but let's say for sake of simplicity that she gets 2 attacks in the first round, a conservative estimate (rounded down the extra 1/2 attack). Let's also assume she is facing a character with an AC of 4, which seems reasonable at the game start as well. This means that, ignoring critical hits, she will hit 2x in the first round of combat an average of 25% of the time, and do an average of 15 damage!

I was able to take on the Ogre south of the Friendly Arm Inn with only Imoen in my party and no cheesy tactics. Silke was a piece of cake in Beregost as well, as a Level 1 with only Imoen in my party.

Could this possibly be the strongest level 1 character that is a single class?

Comments

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2013
    Seems like a reasonable conclusion. Archers get a ton of bonuses right at their creation, so I can easily see them dominating the level 1 playing field.

Also quite powerful is a fighter/MAGE at low levels. Max melee stats plus splint mail plus Find Familiar gets you a basic fighter with a nice chunk of extra HP, which is very noticeable at level 1.

Edit: Said fighter/thief for some reason. Doh.
    Post edited by Madhax on
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I don't think this has really ever been disputed. They are arguably the strongest character for a PC in all of BGEE, as they start extremely strong at level 1 and that only continues every time they level up.

With a Composite Longbow +1 and ranged Thaco bracers, even at specialized you're thaco can be in the low single digits by level 8 in BG1. Add in being an archer and you could safely assume that almost every arrow or bolt is hitting, since most enemies don't go into BG2EE (or more specifically ToB) crazy armor stats to counter the crazy Thac0 of melee types.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    @madhax how are you casting find familiar with a fighter/thief?
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    That is true -- Fighter/Thief I have heard is very powerful, but it is expected of a multiclass to be strong at level 1 since you get both class abilities "for free" at that point, no penalties yet (ie, no slow leveling up to level 1 of course). Fighter/Mage I have also heard is powerful. But for a pure class, Archer takes the cake.

I forgot to mention, I am also getting 13 HP per level, so HP aren't too shabby either. Since Archers use the Fighter tables for bonuses to HP from constitution, I will soon increase that to 14 HP per level once I get the tome of Constitution.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    I reckon a Priestess of Talos is 2nd most powerful(maybe 1st)
    -She can use all armour, all shields
    -Has only 3 less HP then the archer
    -Can become IMMUNE to arrows, fire, lightning, and cold
    -Lightning Bolt at level 1
    -And she hasn't even touched her cleric spells yet...

My money would be on her in a duel.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I reckon a Priestess of Talos is 2nd most powerful(maybe 1st)
    -She can use all armour, all shields
    -Has only 3 less HP then the archer
    -Can become IMMUNE to arrows, fire, lightning, and cold
    -Lightning Bolt at level 1
    -And she hasn't even touched her cleric spells yet...

My money would be on her in a duel.

In a duel yes, but I think the author had in mind what is most consistently powerful against low to medium level creatures ... not other PCs.

That said, yes Priest of Talos is pretty awesome.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Do you actually get any archer bonuses at level 1? I don't believe you do which means it's the same as any other fighter. As such I think a bow-using blackguard would beat it simply because poison weapon is ridiculous.

A dagger throwing half-orc berserker might be stronger as well because you get 2 attacks per round (same as bow), strength bonuses AND berserk.

Or a dual wielding half-orc barbarian. Not sure what the best Candlekeep weapon is but bastard swords sounded like a good bet. His stats while berserk: 14, 18 thac0 and 15-21 damage per hit. God damn :O
    Yes, in a duel I could see the Priest of Talos being the strongest -- a lot of the Archer's strength disappears if you don't have a second person for melee. However, I am referring to getting through the beginning quests in the game, not to a head-to-head fight. The Archer isn't meant for a duel. That said, I think you have hit on another one that may be about the same level of ease at the beginning as the Archer.

Also, I believe other kits may eventually equal or exceed the Archer, only talking about early on.
  • ZarakinthishZarakinthish Member Posts: 214
    butsam said:

I'm not sure how half of an attack works in AD&D2e, but let's say for sake of simplicity that she gets 2 attacks in the first round, a conservative estimate (rounded down the extra 1/2 attack).

It actually isn't that difficult. You just keep alternating between having three attacks in one round and two in the next. Thus, two rounds of combat equals five attacks.
    I got another one. Half-orc Cleric of Helm. 9-15 damage, 4 attacks, and 13/17 thac0. If the dual-wielding thing has been fixed you'd only have 3 but that's still more than most people.

Oh, and dart-throwing blackguard. 3.5 poisoned attacks/round.
    @nano

Since that is a pure cleric, are you making sure to include the reduced thac0 from only having (max) 1 point in dual wielding which applies main hand and offhand penalties?
    Now that I think about it, most of the BG1 archer's power comes from other sources, not archer bonuses. As such an assassin>fighter dual would be an amazing ranged character.

You could achieve assassin 2/fighter 3 and grand mastery by 5250 exp. That's ridiculously strong for a point where most other classes (archer included) are only level 3. The archer only has mastery at that point as well, while you're already rocking 3 poisoned attacks/round.
    @Dragonspear

Cleric of Helm? The created weapon bypasses those penalties because it ignores proficiencies (or something silly like that)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    nano said:

Now that I think about it, most of the BG1 archer's power comes from other sources, not archer bonuses. As such an assassin>fighter dual would be an amazing ranged character.

You could achieve assassin 2/fighter 3 and grand mastery by 5250 exp. That's ridiculously strong for a point where most other classes (archer included) are only level 3. The archer only has mastery at that point as well, while you're already rocking 3 poisoned attacks/round.

Not a bad idea, but you'd lose the exceptional strength bonus, and I'm pretty sure rogues cant start with points in longbow.
    It's too bad there isn't an Archer/Mage option, that would be the sweetest dual class ever. From what I've heard, the primary drawback of archers is late (BG2 end and ToB), due to the lack of +4 arrows. Imagine what would happen if you could instead dual at around level 10ish...killing 'em from a distance with arrows if possible, spells otherwise!!!

Re. abilities -- That is true, actually some of the bonuses are due to an Elven Fighter...such as -1 THAC0 with bows and high Dex bonuses, not particular to the Archer kit...but they are things you don't normally take for other Fighter-like characters. Some are also due to a ranger with 2 starting proficiencies in bows, and somewhat due to the Candlekeep cheap Composite Bow.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I never played them but I was thinking maybe a f/m/c may be the strongest at first level? At least because of the number of spells and fighter level. Yet I'm not so clear on how multiclass works earlier on.

If not then Archer is probably the best level 1 (which really means he is th tallest midget in the circus :p)

nano said:

Not a bad idea, but you'd lose the exceptional strength bonus, and I'm pretty sure rogues cant start with points in longbow.
    True, though as an archer you don't really care about exceptional strength and by the end of the game you'll have 19. It's better that you don't start with longbow points because you won't be able to add onto them when you dual to fighter, and that's when you drop 4 points into it (with the fifth at fighter 3). I would spend the initial thief points on long swords or something with a mind to becoming a dual wielding fighter in BG2... but in that case you may not want to go for longbow at all and grand master in short bow or crossbow.

I never played them but I was thinking maybe a f/m/c may be the strongest at first level? At least because of the number of spells and fighter level. Yet I'm not so clear on how multiclass works earlier on.

If not then Archer is probably the best level 1 (which really means he is th tallest midget in the circus :p)

I think a F/M/C could at least kill most other level 1 characters between Command (no save and instant) and Sleep.
    Madhax said:

Yeah, yeah. Brain fart, meant fighter/mage =P

OK phew I was kinda jealous you apparently get High Level Abilities at Level 1!!
    edited December 2013
    @Nano:

While its true you have a slight short term advantage in that window, lets go through the list:

IF you dual class:

20 Base
    19 +1 to hit for being an assassin
    17 +2 from dexterity
    14 +3 for being a fighter
    13 +1 to hit from Longbow/Composite Longbow
    10 +3 to hit, +5 to damage (Grand Mastery)

So at 5250 xp, your Assassin 2/Fighter 3 will have 1 use of poison per day
    With a composite longbow he'll have 10 Thac0, and deal 8 (Another +2 from the composite longbow)-13 damage per shot, at 3 shots per round (assuming I did my math right).

Our Archer 3:
    20 Base
    17 Thac0 for being a warrior type character
    16 +1 bonus for being elf
    13 +3 from dexterity
    12 +1 bonus from longbow
    9 + 3 from Mastery (and +3 damage)
    8 + 1 (every 3 levels of archer gives +1 to hit, +1 damage but I'm not sure if it applies at level 1)

So our 5000xp archer
    With a composite longbow he'll have a Thac0 of 8 and deal 6-11 damage per shot for 2 1/2 attacks per round
    He won't have poison, but at the next level he'll start getting called shot

Overall, at level 3 there is a minor advantage to the thief in terms of damage (although not to hit), but by level 6 (where the thief gets another +1 to hit, +2 to damage from high mastery and the missile weapon passive, effectively equaling your grand mastery plus having called shot) that will equal out (sans poison, but you only get 1 use of it per day).

Furthermore, this doesn't take into account the fact that this thread discusses most powerful level 1 character. In that case we have an assassin with 17 thac0 and using shortbows (2-7 damage) versus our elven archer with 13 Thac0 at level 1, capable of dealing 5-10 damage with a composite longbow.

Level 1:
    Assassin:
    Thac0
    20 Base
    19 Assassin
    17 Dexterity

Damage:
    1-6 base
    (2-7) +1 from assassin

Archer
    Thac0:
    20 Base
    19 Specialization
    18 Elf
    15 Dexterity
    14 Longbow of any sort

Damage:
    1-6 Base
    (3-8) +2 Specialization
    (4-9) +Longbow

1/2 attack from specialization

That said the Assassin/Fighter Idea is sorta a nice idea for an evil Party =)

Edit: (Just made an elven archer for another thread, realized my damage bonus from composite longbows was 1 lower than it should have been and warriors only had 14 Thac0 at the start with full bonuses).
    Post edited by Dragonspear on
  • CromCzCromCz Member Posts: 1
    btw guys, u rly should think more about roleplay and less about The best, the easiest, the most powerfull... booring. you can rly mess up and still have good time with this game, while not folowing any faq and just enjoying this beautiful game. btw i love elven archer :)
    Oh @CromCz I agree. First time I beat the game was with a stalker (and took it all the way to ToB if it weren't for that corrupted save all those years ago). Second time was with a cavalier. That was just something to do for fun, partially out of curiousity. I enjoy the numbers in D&D sometimes and figuring it out. Besides, I'm doing a runthrough in another thread with minimal reloads (i.e. no reload unless my character dies) and no ressurection (if an npc goes kaput then they go kaput), on insane cause I hate myself. This help cement which character I was going to run for that.

In another thread though, I talk of making a dwarven wizard slayer for funsies. Just trying to decide on a party for that, and knowing I SHOULD go evil in the end for more con...........it would after all help me kill casters even more, but I'd prolly piss off keldorn =/
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    butsam said:

I just started a new game with an Elven Archer, and I am quite impressed with how powerful this kit is!

At level 1 and a composite long bow bought from the prologue inn, and just with standard arrows, my character's stats are as follows:

* THAC0: 14
    * Damage per hit: 5-10 (avg: 7.5)
    * Attacks per round: 5/2
    * AC: 4 (could be lower, but I am wearing regular leather armor, not studded leather)

These stats are more the result of your ability points and racial choice (elves get an additional bonus for using bows) than your kit choice. I recently started a playthrough as an elven fighter/thief with 19 dext and 2 prof points in bows, and I had the exact same THAC and APR. In fact, any elven warrior class (fighters, rangers, barbarians) with 19 dext and 2 points in bows should get the same starting stats.

Archers distinguish themselves more as they level up, because they can add additional prof points to bows and crossbows the way a fighter can, plus they get additional hit and damage bonuses every few levels in addition to the prof point bonuses.
    @CromCz
    CromCz said:

btw guys, u rly should think more about roleplay and less about The best, the easiest, the most powerfull... booring. you can rly mess up and still have good time with this game, while not folowing any faq and just enjoying this beautiful game. btw i love elven archer :)

Pretty great first post, all done with an infinitely classy profile picture to boot. Welcome aboard!

nano said:

I think a F/M/C could at least kill most other level 1 characters between Command (no save and instant) and Sleep.
    If anything one of the few classes they'd have a problem with (well races) with that is the Elven Archer since elves get a natural 90% resistance to charm and sleep magic =)
    I've actually never seen elves resist Command despite resisting Sleep. Tried it out a bit on Xan which confirms my suspicions. But it wasn't meant to be a serious PvP build or anything, just something I thought of. If I wanted to fight at level 1 I'd probably take Find Familiar for my mage slot and spam Commands - I doubt many characters have the HP to survive three rounds of that.