Skip to content

Toughest Bonus Boss in All of Faerun

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if the one of many is the final boss in storm of zehir, then yeah, that is the most difficult fight I have ever fought in any rpg game ever, the first time I got to him, I could barely even touch him and he was straight up unkillable, he was so brutally hard I couldn't do it, so then I restarted looked up walkthroughs and guides to make the best gear possible and grinded my guys to level 21 because you can grow pass level 20 in that expansion, and took him down with ease, but that first time, I thought my team was P I M P, but apparently they were just C R A P
    booinyoureyes
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Habib. He always gets away...
    booinyoureyessarevok57
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Habib. He always gets away...

It would be awesome if the next DLC for BG2:EE let you kill Habib.

Or even better: Habib NPC.
    Special Item: Throwing Scimitar
    He is also immune to hold since he will not "suffer the indignity of prison! Hi-ya!"
    Tsyrith
  • OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
    Gorion in BGI. Have you ever tried to attack that fellow? He will wipe you clean of Faerun faster than Melissan.
    booinyoureyes
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013
    My vote goes to Demo, not because he's uber-tough or anything, but because I always do my best to stretch out that fight as long and possible in order to milk the maximum amount of XP from all the additional cannonfodder he summons! :P
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    I probably had the most difficulty with Aec'Letec from the ones I know of these.

Gaxxi and Demogorgon take a bit of dicking around, but are easy to beat if one knows how, and I can't even recall the NWN2 ones, so chances are I've walked all over them.

The Lost Followers on the other hand were particularly pathetic, none of them had magic resistance, unlike my tank... supported by 2 sorcerers. the supposedly most difficult fight in IWD2 lasted for about two rounds and four well aimed skulltraps.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Tethtoril in candlekeep... don't fight that guy... just don't.
    booinyoureyesGemHound
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Drizzt in a straight one to one fight.
    booinyoureyes
  • TaevikTaevik Member Posts: 38
    sarevok57 said:

if the one of many is the final boss in storm of zehir, then yeah, that is the most difficult fight I have ever fought in any rpg game ever, the first time I got to him, I could barely even touch him and he was straight up unkillable, he was so brutally hard I couldn't do it, so then I restarted looked up walkthroughs and guides to make the best gear possible and grinded my guys to level 21 because you can grow pass level 20 in that expansion, and took him down with ease, but that first time, I thought my team was P I M P, but apparently they were just C R A P

He isn't the last boss in that game.

As an interesting side note, tbat version of him in Storm of Zehir is a BREEZE compared to the boss that you can have with him in Mask of the Betrayer. It's really hard because you have to solo him in that fight, and he has technically become a god.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    edited November 2013
    dunno about NWN IWD2 bosses but drizzt was impossible for my c/i solo even full buffed no cheese

also drizzt is the only one i never beat without cheese

i know that you can but i was never prepared

it would be fun

make 6 fighters buff them to oblivion go 6v1 drizzt ;DDD
    Post edited by zur312 on
    nano
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Lord Ao

I fought his avatar in Planescape: Torment, it's easly killable in comparison to other examples here.

Hardest boss fight? Ultima weapon from Final Fantasy VI comes to memory.

In Baldur's Gate? Anath comes to mind, you find her in the temple ruins and the bitch can only be hit by +4 (or +5) weapons, which means instant death sometimes for some parties. She also has Mres if i'm not wrong.

The mage ambush while casting magic in Amn is a bit annoying too unless you metagame.

The later fights in the blackpits 2 also are insanely hard, as the 2 demi-lichs and the son of bhaal fight. The later fighters all have the draconic ability to see through invisible naturally (even the demi-liches).

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Taevik said:

As an interesting side note, tbat version of him in Storm of Zehir is a BREEZE compared to the boss that you can have with him in Mask of the Betrayer. It's really hard because you have to solo him in that fight, and he has technically become a god.

I tried playing mask of the betrayer but to my dismay I could never get into it, it just seemed to drag on to long for me with not much happening, plus nwn gameplay is a little slow pitched for me, I love the turbo speed of the bg series, you get in kick butt and keep going, but in nwn games even at 60 fps, it just seems a little clunky and crawly, although I found the storm of zehir expansion a little fun, I think I even played it 3 times ( 3 complete runs that is)

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    kamuizin said:

Lord Ao

I fought his avatar in Planescape: Torment, it's easly killable in comparison to other examples here.

In Baldur's Gate? Anath comes to mind, you find her in the temple ruins and the bitch can only be hit by +4 (or +5) weapons, which means instant death sometimes for some parties. She also has Mres if i'm not wrong.

The mage ambush while casting magic in Amn is a bit annoying too unless you metagame.

The later fights in the blackpits 2 also are insanely hard, as the 2 demi-lichs and the son of bhaal fight. The later fighters all have the draconic ability to see through invisible naturally (even the demi-liches).

Yeah, avatar. That's not the same obviously.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Firkraag. So many concessions have been made and rules broken for this bastard in order to preserve how "challenging" he is that I can no longer beat him in EE. I used to kill him all the time in vanilla. In my EE game I was able to beat Adalon more easily than this bastard, even though Adalon used to give me much more trouble in vanilla.
    edited November 2013

kamuizin said:

Lord Ao

Yeah, avatar. That's not the same obviously.
    In fact it is my friend, it's the same and only AO's Avatar, if you pay attention to his banters will will see comments that will let you assured of this. Like when the faceless one make a mental note that he can see the universe itself inside the eyes of the guy.

Of course a god or a being greater than a god can make his/her/it avatar with the strengh he wishes his representative to have, also, there's no reason for AO to give a true death to Nameless One, that would make him escape his punishment, so let him kill the avatar and continue to stumble blind through the planes seems more fit to AO's wishes in my opinion.

Besides, do not put much faith in AO as the supreme power of existance, there is more than one universe in D&D and each one of them has a supreme ruler, as AO is in This D&D universe, AND these supreme rules have, surprisingly... an master!!

Ao closed his eyes and blanked his mind. Soon, he fell within himself and entered the place before time, the time at the edge of the universe, where millions of millions of assignments like his began and ended.

A luminous presence greeted him, enveloping his energies within its own. It was both a warm and a cold entity, forgiving and harsh. "And how does your cosmos fare, Ao?" The voice was at once both gentle and admonishing.

"They have restored the balance, Master. The Realms are once again secure."

— Troy Denning, Waterdeep, 3rd Book of Avatar series

• JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    @kamuizin @FinneousPJ Where exactly can you find this avatar of Ao? Cannot remember seeing something like that in PS:T.

On topic: I guess SCS Kangaxx. At least I didn't manage to kill him without cheese/metagaming.
    In the smoldering corpe bar, there's a guy named AO, near the center of the bar. You can get from him a permanent stats raise or a though fight.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I voted for the (near) endless waves of Flaming Fist/Cowled Wizards when you've got 1-2 reputation. Also trying to kill Gorion was a fun challenge for myself after I beat Sarevok and re-import my max characters.
  • TsyrithTsyrith Member Posts: 180
    @kamuizin That bloke isn't AO, that's O, a letter of the divine alphabet. Can overgods even get into Sigil? I had thought the Lady of Pain even stronger than they in her demesne.
    edited December 2013
    Lol, Lady of Pain doesn't has power enough to prevent AO from enter Sigil if he want that, he's not like a deity anyway. From his speech if he's not AO he's surelly another divinity, and taking in fact that no god enter Sigil under penality of be sliced in pieces by Lady of Pain, my assumption of him being an AO avatar isn't that strange, is it?

From 3:55 foward:

http://www.gameanyone.com/video/283546

At 5:51 the answer O gives will clarify things:

Quotes:

"It's the name of a portion of everything"; "understand me leads to understand existence"; "i am writ in the true names of half of everything"
    Tsyrith
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    After going through d'Arnise Keep with only 1 weapon that can hurt the Iron Golem... I change my vote to the damn iron golem. Took ages to bring it down with the Kneecapper only.
    jackjackEudaemoniumBrude
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

After going through d'Arnise Keep with only 1 weapon that can hurt the Iron Golem... I change my vote to the damn iron golem. Took ages to bring it down with the Kneecapper only.

lure him to the door. Haste whoever has the FoA. Run up and swing once then run away before he retaliates. Run up swing once run away before he retaliates. Run up swing once run away before he retaliates.

Run away and rest.

lure him to the door. Haste whoever has the FoA. Run up and swing once then run away before he retaliates. Run up swing once run away before he retaliates. Run up swing once run away before he retaliates.

Run away and rest.

lure him to the...

and then congratulate yourself with some nice wine and CHEESE
    Dragonspearlolien
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Dave's Challenge at the end of Pools of Darkness, the fourth and final Gold Box game from SSI. This final fight is in two stages, the first being Thorne (an ancient dragon) and Tanetal (a glabezru) backed up by some green dragons with the second being against Kalistes (a marilith) and Gothmenes (a balor) backed up by Blue Minions of Bane (special demon-like creatures that have a lightning aura which mirrors your melee damage back against you). Oh, I forgot to mention--all your spells get wiped when the battle begins. I actually beat it once. Once.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2013
    It might have been the BGTutu mod I was using that upped the game speed (so people would walk more quickly) - as it wasn't 100% consistent (e.g. skeletons were hyper sped up) but the REALLY hard part of that island that made really exciting for me was that the wolfweres all moved at Hasted speed. --
    That meant I couldn't kite them. You couldn't run if it went bad.
    They came at you, were strong, and you had to deal or die.

I haven't replayed with BGEE - maybe that haste effect is no longer true - but that made them among the scariest enemies in BGI because there was no kiting.
    Brude
    Drugar said:

Aec'letec isn't that dangerous if everyone's outfitted with Potions of Mirrored Eyes.

Depends on how you play. I could think of no reason to assume I'd need anti-gaze protection against the demon - so that meant (rp'ing) I had to wait until something horrible happened then buff mid-combat. Made the fight substantially harder for me.

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    syllog said:

Drugar said:

Aec'letec isn't that dangerous if everyone's outfitted with Potions of Mirrored Eyes.

Depends on how you play. I could think of no reason to assume I'd need anti-gaze protection against the demon - so that meant (rp'ing) I had to wait until something horrible happened then buff mid-combat. Made the fight substantially harder for me.

The ghoul in Durlag's tower kind of hints at it. If you combine that with what the dwarf in Ulgoth's tells you about his ancestor when you return you can have a pretty good idea.

The thing that you don't get any RP-relevant hints about is what happens if you leave the cultists alive.

The ghoul in Durlag's tower kind of hints at it. If you combine that with what the dwarf in Ulgoth's tells you about his ancestor when you return you can have a pretty good idea.

Oh, I don't recall that. Good to know. I'll have to listen more closely when I get there in BG:EE (if I get there... two of my last three no reload characters have died, and I gave up on a pure sorcr as too boring. Maybe a Thief/Sorc. dual ... I'm running out of good names though ... :/ )

The thing that you don't get any RP-relevant hints about is what happens if you leave the cultists alive.

Yeah, but I think that's the kind of surprise that's awesome! :)
    Eudaemonium
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Syllog

I double checked when I ran through 2 days ago and they definitely elude to it. It does make him SLIGHTLY easier, but he's still going to rock some serious firepower down on your party. When I finished my Blade, Dorn and Kagain (with Gauntlets of Dex, Rasaad's belt and his natural con) were all on teh verge of death. I think Shar-teel was close too.

I know the 3 bonus bosses all feel extremely difficult in their own ways. Having just completed them I'll list those ways now:

1. Karoug: Even with the extra weapon they added (Dorn's final quest) that effects him, I feel that options are severely limited, especially considering the scope of proficiencies in game. Including pre-chugging pots, Mirror Image, Defensive Spin and Wraithform, plus haste from Edwin, he still tore through my level 9 blade's defenses. I finally managed to overwhelm him due to haste once the rest of the room was clear just through sheer number of attacks from the rest of my party as well.

2. Aec'letec: 6 potions of mirror eyes and a little luck. As I said above, I just BARELY survived this fight. Even with the potions running, you can't face tank him for long because he hits like a mack truck. I'm not sure what effective armor type he has (whether crushing damage gets a bonus to hit). Definitely prefer killing this guy as a cavalier.

3. Demon Knight: Plain and simple I'm not sure if it IS possible to kill him without using the mirror. That said I also screwed up and accidently used my scroll of magic before, pre-potting on my blade. Minor Note: he would still 1 shot me in melee if I remember right (on insane might be the issue, maybe I should go back to core), so even with defensive spin up it just took 1 roll of him hitting me for me to hit the floor. Again maybe pre-buffing/potting before using a protection from magic scroll might have helped make this easier/not need the mirror.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    I just fought Karoug for my first time ever yesterday and I must say I was HIGHLY disappointed.
    I was expecting a very difficult fight but it ended with my PC and Dorn killing him in less then 5sec. :/
    PC was tanking and he didn't even have time to break through Stoneskin.
    With an additional 7 AC bonus against Slashing (total of -25 against Werewolves) and the Wolfbane Charm for a -2 thac0.
    CrevsDaak
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    The badger, by a wide margin. The only reason it's not leading is because most people haven't fought it. It would tear good ol'Demo a new one if they ever met.