Skip to content

(SPOILERS) Mazzy/Gorf quest badly bugged; impossible to proceed in game afterwards

RannRann Member Posts: 168
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
At some point when near the Copper Coronet, Mazzy will be accosted by Gorf and challenged to a duel. The party goes into the Copper Coronet, talks to Festule, and either buy or refuse the cheat potion he offers. Next, a talk with Surly will lead the party to Bunkin, giving them the opportunity to spike his drink (if they bought the potion) by chatting her up.

So far, so good, but now there are a couple of bugs:
(1) Gorf might fail to show up. This means that the quest cannot complete, though the party can continue on elsewhere. I think what's going on is that Gorf is somehow getting interrupted in his walk-in script.
(2) Assuming that Gorf shows up, Mazzy and he will fight. Once Mazzy knocks him unconscious (assuming that she wins), Mazzy will fail to be teleported from the arena. (Gorf will occasionally wake up and Mazzy can knock him down again, with the same bad result.) Now, the party is trapped, because Mazzy can't leave while she is still part of the party.

I've attached a save demonstrating this. In this save, the party has bought the potion, and is about to talk to Bunkin. Load the save, talk to Bunkin, complement her on her beauty, explain that Gorf has got an ogre brain, offer her a love potion, and then wait. You'll see bug #1 about 50% of the time. Assuming you get past that point: once in the arena, have Mazzy use Strength, and then haste, and then have her beat Gorf unconscious. She'll be stuck after that (and so will the party) -- you'll be at bug #2.

Comments

• RannRann Member Posts: 168
    I did some more investigation -- it's the spell effects that are doing it. If Mazzy defeats him without using Haste or Strength, everything works fine. If she has *any* effect on her after defeating him, she's trapped.
    (I mean for bug 2. For bug 1, it seems that Gorf must be bumping into people in the hall and somehow this disrupts his script. I ran it 12 times in a row, and he failed to show up 6 times.)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Rann said:

I did some more investigation -- it's the spell effects that are doing it. If Mazzy defeats him without using Haste or Strength, everything works fine. If she has *any* effect on her after defeating him, she's trapped.

I killed him in the vanilla version with Hardiness, Greater Whirlwind and those cheese, but didn't need the, thuogh, but it never bugged to me on vanilla. This is the second thread or more I see about these.
    Ignore bug #2 -- I'm a moron, Mazzy was using fists during the times I couldn't get her out, and apparently knocking him unconscious is not a "win" (though I argue it should be, but it's probably "by design"). Bug #1 is still legit, though.
  • SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    I had the same issue with Gorf not showing up. Luckily the autosave is pretty close, but it would be nice to have this fixed.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    I had #2 - bare hand no win. I think that sucks, the game should recognise it as a win. Mazzy is a nice halfling 'paladin', i think it would be in-character to let her win without killing.
  • sleeperholdsleeperhold Member Posts: 8
    This quest is bugged beyond belief. I think it was my 6th reload when he finally showed up, and I don't think I did anything differently from the previous attempts.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Right now I'm trying to do the quest and Bunkin isn't spawning. On a different Save file, Gorf showed up but he spawned in the pit and I had to spawn him myself, and then Mazzy wouldn't teleport out of the pit so I had to cheat her out.

EE doesn't like this quest very much....
  • DarkExcalibur42DarkExcalibur42 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2013
    I learned something about this quest. I think something is goofing up between save games.

When I decided to give it a shot WITHOUT killing Gorf, I reloaded my previous save and he didn't show up.

So I CLUAConsoled his ass in there. We get teleported into the pit, and who do you think I found standing in the pit already? A blue-circled Gorf standing in a corner that you can't see from outside the pit. While I'm fighting the Gorf I created.

Go ahead and CTRL+J in. You'll see him.
  • DarkExcalibur42DarkExcalibur42 Member Posts: 10
    Quicksave.
  • DelicoseDelicose Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2014
    @SionIV pointed out in another post that placing everyone in the party near Bunkin before CHARNAME speaks to her seems to solve this problem. However, if you've spoken to her already and no longer have a save from before speaking with her, such as Auto-Save, you can try using the CLUAConsole.

Here's what I did to fix it:

1. If you still have it open, save your game and quit BG2:EE.
    2. Search your computer for the Baldur.ini file for your Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition.
    3. Open file in a text editor (i.e. Notepad)
    4. Find where it says:

INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    5. Right after that, insert :

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    6. Save and quit.

7. Reopen game and have your party is inside the Copper Coronet. Be sure to have your party stand away from the pit area to make sure that Gorf doesn't spawn inside it.
    8. Ctrl-Space to open CLUAConsole.
    9. In the field that opened, type:

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("GORF")
    Your new copy of Gorf SHOULD spawn near your party and SHOULD initiate the lead up to fighting in the pit with Mazzy.

Where is Gorf most likely at?
    One place is the back rooms. Going there may cause you to make choices where you can no longer finish the pit fight.
    Another place, apparently, is the sewers attached to the Copper Coronet. If he is there, it is impossible to finish the pit fight since he is in the wrong zone.

Enjoy!
    Post edited by Delicose on