Skip to content

Come on Gameinformer ?...?

Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
They post a lot of reviews I don't agree with, but man some are soo far out there I often wonder how much they were paid for them. The most recent review that kills me is Assassin's Creed: Black Flag it was given a 8.25 and I wouldn't give any of the assassin creed games above a 4. While some of the areas they create are nice the game play and combat are horrid; because of its ease it is more of an inconvenience to have to press buttons than it is interactive entertainment.

Comments

• AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    What
  • FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    I disagree with their reviews, they must be paid!!!!
    dementedTJ_Hooker
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    FFGDrugar
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    You may not realize this, but people can have different opinions than you. I've enjoyed some games in the Assassins Creed series. You haven't and that's fine. I think BG: EE offers a some great new content to the game. Some reviewers disagreed and that's fine too. Their opinion is just as valid as mine and while I may not agree with them, I don't see it as a act of deceit.
    reedmilfamTJ_Hookerlolien
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    The Assassins Creed games have generally been very successful. So enough people must like them that they keep on buying them.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited December 2013
    I was just using it as an example evade evade evade evade win, and there has to be some amount of deceit because some of the reviewers give games bad reviews along with a good score depending on the maker or publisher and vice versa.

DA2 also got a 8.25 here are some excerpts from the review:

" Dragon Age II attempts to tell the tale of Hawke’s rise to power in Kirkwall. In execution, this story amounts to little more than a bunch of sidequests lashed together. They are rarely connected to a central goal, and since the main plot has no arc, you get little sense of mounting tension or rising stakes until the climax is upon you.

Most of the missions are short, in-and-out affairs that involve traveling between Kirkwall’s painfully limited number of locations. While the city is supposedly huge, you only bounce between about 10 areas and a handful of buildings and caves within them."

"Part of me was disappointed with Dragon Age II. I hoped for an improvement on the original, but it ultimately feels like a step back. The new battle system is fun, but not nearly as satisfying or rewarding as Origins’. Since you don’t even have a main antagonist until the final hours, the story pales in comparison to the original."

If you wrote that would you still give the game an 8? I am just saying there is some disconnect there.

@karnor - it does well... I think a lot of people like the idea of instantly becoming powerful where as some people like to work for it. My 13 year old cousin loves games like that I'm guessing because young men feel powerless in their lives and do not yet understand how power is attained.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited December 2013
    The disconnect is that numerical rating systems for games have become even more meaningless than they were when they were first conceived. A game can receive a scathing verbal review, but because the scale is now essentially 6-10 rather than 1-10, the "poor score" is an 8 or a 7. Fans brought this new standard on themselves, really, because for the last six or so years they react by raging out of control any time their new favorite game gets anything less than a 9/10. Game reviewers are just adapting to the environment that self-entitled gamers created.
    Chaotic_GoodAyiekieTJ_Hooker
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

The disconnect is that numerical rating systems for games have become even more meaningless than they were when they were first conceived. A game can receive a scathing verbal review, but because the scale is now essentially 6-10 rather than 1-10, the "poor score" is an 8 or a 7. Fans brought this new standard on themselves, really, because for the last six or so years they react by raging out of control any time their new favorite game gets anything less than a 9/10. Game reviewers are just adapting to the environment that self-entitled gamers created.

And then people bitch about Grand Theft Auto 5 getting a 9 and not a perfect 10. I mean who cares if it's got a thoroughly blatant misogynistic view of women, it's the best flippin' sandbox game in the world, it's a perfect masterpiece, and how dare you give it a pathetic 9!!!!!!1111

(Source: http://www.dailydot.com/gaming/grand-theft-auto-five-gamespot-review-youtube-negative-comments/ )

I pity game reviewers. No matter what they may say, they never win.
    SchneidendTJ_Hooker
    edited December 2013
    That could very well be large part of it, but I am not sure catering to anyone whether it be producers or consumers is the idea of a review after all suspicion of it is the reason I created the post.

Game - score - publisher - Devs(if different)

Borderlands 2 - 9.75 - 2k games - Gearbox
    Skyrim - 9.5 - Bethesda
    Witcher 2 - 9.5 - Warner Brothers - CD Projekt RED
    RE 5 - 9.5 - Capcom
    Rage - 9.0 - Bethesda
    Dishonored - 8.75 - Bethesda
    Dark souls - 8.75 - Namco Bandai - From Software
    fallout nv - 8.5 - Bethesda - Obsidian Entertainment
    Bully - 8.5 - Rockstar/Bethesda - Rockstar
    Dues Ex HR - 8.5 - Square Enix - Eidos Montreal
    Assassin's Creed IV - 8.25 - ubisoft - Ubisoft Montreal
    DA2 - 8.25 - EA - Bioware
    Hunted tdf - 8.0 - Bethesda - inXile Entertainment
    Duke Nukem F - 6.75 - 2k games -
    Army of two 40th - 6.5 - EA

Just for fun what 3 games from the list do you think are rated to high and what 3 to low.
    @Chaotic_Good
    Obviously, the idea of a review in theory is not about catering to anybody, but that's not how it works in practice. Places that review things need readership. If they rate GTAV or Battlefield 4 (both great games that I highly recommend) too low, even if that supposedly low rating is still very high, they risk losing lots of readers.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050

That could very well be large part of it, but I am not sure catering to anyone whether it be producers or consumers is the idea of a review after all suspicion of it is the reason I created the post.

Skyrim - 9.5 - Bethesda
    RE 5 - 9.5 - Capcom
    Rage - 9.0 - Bethesda

Just for fun what 3 games from the list do you think are rated to high and what 3 to low.

The too high list... Maybe RE5, Skyrim and Assassin's Creed 4?

For the low ones, I would say Duke Nukem Forever if I knew which platform they reviewed it on because they didn't bother too much with the console versions so they got a shittier version than PC did...

And I suppose Deus Ex deserves more for bringing back stealth...
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I value game reviews about as much as I value movie reviews, which is to say "not at all". Only a fool buys a game--or doesn't buy a game--based on someone's review of it.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629

And then people bitch about Grand Theft Auto 5 getting a 9 and not a perfect 10. I mean who cares if it's got a thoroughly blatant misogynistic view of women, it's the best flippin' sandbox game in the world, it's a perfect masterpiece, and how dare you give it a pathetic 9!!!!!!1111

(Source: http://www.dailydot.com/gaming/grand-theft-auto-five-gamespot-review-youtube-negative-comments/ )

Agreed with both statements. It's pretty much something gamers brought upon themselves in their blind 'love' for a game.

I value game reviews about as much as I value movie reviews, which is to say "not at all". Only a fool buys a game--or doesn't buy a game--based on someone's review of it.

I prefer to do research about a game myself. I also trust my intuition a lot. With most games, I immediately get a feeling that I'll like it or not. This gut feeling has so far not disappointed me yet. I'm so glad I didn't waste 60 bucks on Dragon Age 2, for example. The game didn't sit well with me from the beginning.

Skyrim - 9.5 - Bethesda
    RE 5 - 9.5 - Capcom
    Rage - 9.0 - Bethesda

I'd say Dark Souls got a bit of an 'average' score, might want to see a 9 for it. Dragon Age 2 is highly overrated and certainly doesn't deserve an 8 at all.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    bideo james journalism is long dead.

Skyrim - 9.5 - Bethesda
    RE 5 - 9.5 - Capcom
    Rage - 9.0 - Bethesda

Too high would probably be Rage for being pretty uninteresting once the novelty wore off, Dishonored punishes lethal playthroughs, and Witcher 2's gameplay is just as boring to play as the original.

Too low? Army of Two is some of the best 2-player co-op on the market, so I think it needs a solid 7 at least. Dark Souls probably deserves a 9 for basically perfecting a genre that the previous game in the franchise basically invented.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2013

I remember the outrage on Gamespot when The Last of Us only received an 8 out of 10. The really insane part was that it started before the game was even released (Gamespot had receied copy early for review). Meaning that for the first few days the people raging against the 'low' score hadn't even played the game themselves.
    Nonnahswriter
    edited December 2013

Skyrim - 9.5 - Bethesda
    RE 5 - 9.5 - Capcom
    Rage - 9.0 - Bethesda

To high: I would go with hunted, Dishonored, and DA2 but I also don't think that any of those game apart from Dark souls and maybe Dues ex could be close to a 10. In Dishonored the levels were so poorly set up I felt like I was playing through a slapped together Duke Nukem 64 clone at least in Duke Nukem finding the secrets were a challenge(Duke Nukem 64 was a fantastic game 20 years ago). The combat was so poor you didn't have to fight at all if you moved up a level nor did you need to sneak on the hardest difficulty you could rush through chopping enemies to bits like it was nothing.

To low: The single player in Army of two can be frustrating, but the game is obviously made for co-op just like the others I don't think the game should get a low score because the ignorance and even worse the neglect of the reviewer. Dues Ex is one of the best shooters I have played in years the difficulty is brutal at times and the story is amazing. Last but not least Dark Souls it is a work of art.