Minus dexterity stat

2»

Comments

• BasicHunterBasicHunter Member Posts: 17
    Okay, thanks.
  • KastianKastian Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2013
    @BasicHunter
    A very effective Berserker i used back when i first played this game was a half elf (gains a few minor bonus like some slight sleep/enchantment magic resistance, no real down sides) with 18 strength, 17 dexterity although i'd recommend 18 here too, and 18 constitution, as others have said aim for 11 int as well, wisdom and Charisma are basically non issue on a berserker, half elf or human does give you all the romance options, whilst Half-orc gives you the 19 strength and constitution, but limits your romance options to neera and viconia. Also longswords are the most common weapon, so dual-wielding magical ones is pretty easy, however Katana do more damage and you can get a very powerful one fairly early on (there are guides to getting celestial fury if you wanted to, although it is very difficult for a beginner), alternatively Flails/Morningstars are a reasonable weapon, do blunt (least resisted damage type in the game) and again you can get a very powerful one very early on (with your stronghold quest). Finally Warhammer deserves a mention for later on, as one of the more powerful weapons is the Crom Feyr warhammer, As for the two handed option, believe it or not staves (although not very fighterlike from a roleplaying option is a viable weapon type) or two handed swords have some nice options, including a fairly nice one you can get in irenicus dungeon. I would probably recommend dual-wielding or two handed over shields as a weapon style, since equipping a shield when you need one incurs no penalty, and generally they're not overtly useful in the majority of the content (what i mean by that is you can not have one more often than you need to, if you ever really "need to" at all)
    Anyway i hope this is helpful, good luck on your first BG adventure
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Berserker is my favorite to play. Very easy and deadly. Flails are great to dual wield i wont spoil why. And dont be afraid to use the difficulty slider, remember this is supposed to entertain you.

Oh and the shorty bonuses for dwarfs are great if you cant stand to reload from failing a save vs a spell that instant kills you
    Agreed Dwarf are a good race for a Berserker, however are extremely limited in romance options, which is why i didn't mention them as you specifically mentioned romances
    Yup just leaving it open if instant kill spells really bothers you. But good saves are possible with humans and if you dont mind the reload a few times.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Also dual wielding flails or axes makes your character look hell-a fierce.
    Thank you very much.
    P.S There is a difficulti slider? O.o
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    If you go to Options > Gameplay there is a difficulty slider :)
    Ehh, me again. I made the berserker and so far Im playing decent, but what i wonder about is. When i made my berserker my reroll poitns were 80 i believe, what i dont really get is the 18/29 str. What does the 29 mean? Googled, yet didnt get any info. I doubt that it is important, but just cant forget it...
    18/?? affects additional bonuses, 18/00 is the top end with additional to hit and damage and increased carry capacity, however you can increase your strength to 19 during the course of the game, so it isn't the biggest issue.
    Its not major and kastian has the right of it. Most players get 18/91+ however. What race did you take? How far have you played
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    18/75 or higher is a good cutoff.
  • althoralthor Member Posts: 67
    edited November 2013
    I highly recommend a Half-Orc Fighter Berserker for your first play through.
    Use the berserk skill (special star button) and you become immune to a lot of really nasty things that can cause real problems (maze, confusion, charm, etc.).
    Half Orc is better than human because you can get 19 str and 19 con. Both important for fighters.
    I prefer 2 weapons, not the two-handed sword. You will be able to get a hammer with 25 strength which is huge for a fighter. Also there are a ton of very, very useful longswords that you will come across. Especially early in the game.

Starting out I use 2 points on two weapon fighting, and 2 points on longsword.
    Next point goes to two weapon fighting to max it out at 3.
    From then on, I use points on warhammer until it is maxed out at 5.
    Then I use the rest on longsword until it is max.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Hold on a second... you are playing the first game, not the second game right?
    Im playing Baldurs gate 2. My friend gave me the 1st one but it didnt work( the game crashed every time).Ive red the story of the first one so i know the plot more or less.

Any way, I have a question(yes, again xD). The problem is for some reason i cant read the description of spells while in pause for some characters. For example, if I pause the game, select jaheira and right-click on any of her spells, a window opens and I can see what it does and all. But when I select Aerie, and right-click on any of the spells, nothing happens. Is it supposed to be like that?
    Ehh,a any ideas?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Sounds like a bug. The right-click form quick bar to see spell descriptions is a fairly new feature, so there might be some kinks to work out with it. For the moment, head to her Spell Book pages and right-click there :)
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    This isn't really a noob friendly game at all. The first time I played this game I had to go through a couple characters before I got one I was satisfied with.
    Eh, Im having a hard time choosing whether sI should go good party or an evil one. Ive red about many NPC's and all, yet I cant decide. I doubt that I will replay the game again after beating it, so I want your guys opinion on this. Which is the most interesting way to play?
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    The best way to play bg2 is to play it many times.
    But for my first playthrough I'd choose a good party (you can have neutral NPC too if you like)
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013

Eh, Im having a hard time choosing whether sI should go good party or an evil one. Ive red about many NPC's and all, yet I cant decide. I doubt that I will replay the game again after beating it, so I want your guys opinion on this. Which is the most interesting way to play?

First play is for histry of the game
    This game is suggested to play good gives much better opportunities, lower prices in shops(max reputation needed and max charisma of the leader) and several tasks. my advice play with 5 NPC if you play warrior
    1.warrior-> Minsc or Valegar;
    2.thief- >Jan or Imoen (when Imoen gets the ring disarm traps, can deal with 95% of the entire game/for closed chest use spell or break with strenght);
    3.worrior->Kaldorn;
    4.priest->Jaheira or Anomen(anomen is better priest but he is such annoing your choice)
    5.mage->Nerra;
    With these figures can safely have 20 reputation points, and no one will escape ( evil NPC left you after 18)
    how do you like to read and to laugh Take jan and Minsc smile guaranteed
    If you decided to play Dorn suggested before him join, make the quest for paladins in temple district to do that you have commissioned them you need 12 reputation

and a small spoiler
    on promendzie where rimbald is a woman who sells spells. she can sell you one spell with drawing of white lamp-7 level as you conjure up Jinny choose dialogue about the adventure and go to the district bridge;)
    Post edited by Dzuk5 on