Skip to content

Who's Your Favorite NPC?

2»

Comments

• sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    Never played BG1, but in BG2 my favourite NPC was probably Jan Janssen. A lot of people got annoyed with his long stories but I found them entertaining, and I believe he had some hilarious banter with Minsc at some point too.
  • sirseorsirseor Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2012
    My personal favorites are generally the character's "Family"

Imoen- She is family, and has your back, no matter what happens. Particularly in BG2, she develops as a character, add in "Ascension" and her missing dialogue and she has her own little character arc. She also provides the motivation for BG2, "I am going to rescue my sister and murder the living daylights out of anyone who gets in my way."
    Viconia- Interesting Character arc, I always like characters who the player can help or redeem, and she has an unusual romance. And very handy both in and out of combat.
    Sarevok- The character's 'brother', he also is family, can be redeemed, and is generally kick-ass. They did a good job of making him true to his original character, and yet "friendly". besides, with Ascenion/restoration mods he has some amusing dialogue with his "sister" Imoen.
    Jahiera- a fascinating exploration of loyalty, and fear, and what they mean. A very involved romance, and an old friend of the character come BG2.

Take a male PC, throw in his brother and sister, as well as his romance, (Vicky or Jahiera mostly, but even Aerie will do) And you have a seriously powerhouse family. (and a fairly well balanced team of 4, thief/mage, warrior, healer, and X)

p.s. honorable mention to Keldorn, who has the unusual position of being a little older, somewhat sensible, and having a family at home that he struggles with, and is still a decent man. (I cannot think of any other NPC in any game who is like this.)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Drugar said:

Though really, throw out the new soundset and use the BG1 version. The new one does NOT do him justice.

This. UGH, that new one was just awful.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    sirseor said:

I like that idea! And with the new characters, it'll work just as well for a female Bhaalspawn, her brother Sarevok, her sister Imoen, and her lover Dorn/Rasaad. :)

(Although a male Bhaalspawn can have a child with Aerie, which just ups the Badass Family quotient that much more...)
    shawne said:

sirseor said:

I like that idea! And with the new characters, it'll work just as well for a female Bhaalspawn, her brother Sarevok, her sister Imoen, and her lover Dorn/Rasaad. :)

(Although a male Bhaalspawn can have a child with Aerie, which just ups the Badass Family quotient that much more...)
    Here's hoping those three NPCs make it to BG2:EE as well. Lol Dorn and Sarevok would probably have some interesting interactions P= Looking forward to his romance though, should be good.
  • ShemhamShemham Member Posts: 8
    Of course there are lots of interesting characters in BG-saga, but my favorites would be Viconia and Sarevok. Simply put I like stories in which characters evolve towards better ethics. Characters that seem to be righteous and oh-so-noble since from the beginning lack depth and are always so quick to judge others. This is mostly why I also find Aerie romance to be less interesting as it involves loads of bleeding heart dialogue leading nowhere whereas Viconia romance may result to a major change in the nature of the character. They both also have funny dialogue between other NPC and are really useful in combat.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    I always liked Ajantis and Imoen in Bg1. Ajantis always made me laugh with hes corny comments about Helm lmao And imoen was just awesome :)
  • fighter_mage_thieffighter_mage_thief Member Posts: 262
    edited August 2012
    I loved Drizzt. I had no desire to play a drow, and was never after his gear, I just liked the character concept, the dialogue, the voice acting, and the unique character sprite. That and he is awesome in combat, which I enjoyed seeing in both games. Super fast movement speed, 5 attacks per round, he just seemed unique back then, and provided a decent challenge if you were looking for one.

I also think Sarevok and Irenicus made great villains.

The playable NPCs felt too one-dimensional in BG1, so I didn't really have a favourite and generally stuck with characters that were central to the plot (Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira). And who can resist saving a damsel in distress?

In BG2, I liked most of the playable NPCs, although in the end, I added two more damsels in distress (Aerie and Nalia). I saved Viconia in both games, but while I like Drizzt, I don't party with evil drow lol. Major double standard there when it comes to Drizzt :P
  • sirseorsirseor Member Posts: 19
    @ shawne,
    shawne said:

sirseor said:

By the time of ToB you have 3 essential demi-gods, a very, very badass family indeed.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Viconia!
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    BG1: Kivan - a nice, well rounded character without "perfect" stats who's broodingly loyal and handy in most parties
    BG2: Anomen (CN) - he seems more "human" and relatable to once he fails his test, plus from mid-game onwards he's a powerhouse of destruction due to his fighting abilities, clerical spells and Turn Undead;
    Viconia is a close second - best cleric in-game, well done and involved romance + the chance for redemption
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Kivan, Imoen, and Deheriana were my favorite NPC's in BG1 (With the NPC mod installed). Without the NPC mod I found all of them to be one-dimensional save for the occasional one-liner banter.

Baldur's Gate 2,
    My favorite NPC was Viconia, mostly for the development her character undergoes across the series during the romance.
    Following her, Yoshimo and the Xan NPC mod.

Keldorn and Edwina get favorable mention.
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    edited August 2012
    BG 1 & 2 - Edwin [his quotes are awesome :]

"Elminster this, Elminster that. Give *me* 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!"
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Koson said:

BG2: Anomen (CN) - he seems more "human" and relatable to once he fails his test, plus from mid-game onwards he's a powerhouse of destruction due to his fighting abilities, clerical spells and Turn Undead.

I've got him in my current party and he is SO useful. I've never used Turn Undead much (Aerie sucks at it, Viconia turns them into minions, which is never found v. useful) but Anomen just blasts them to pieces. Five Shadow Fiends, gone in 6 seconds. Hordes of Shadows or Skeletons, bam, dust. It's really quite awesome.

• Sir_CarnifexSir_Carnifex Member Posts: 47
    Minsc + Lilarcor. Can't beat it for sheer fun. Kivan for his bow shooting... He probably scores more kills than anyone else.
  • AbdAlAzradAbdAlAzrad Member Posts: 18
    Lilancor the speaking sword but I cannot understand BG without Minsc and Valygar.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My favourite NPC is, and always will be, the quasit familiar. Come on, it really has *the* best personality in both games!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I would like to see a dialogue between Lilancor and Morte from PsT... That would be really interesting :)

Kivan for his bow shooting... He probably scores more kills than anyone else.

This is completely true ... Whenever I look at his stats he is hogging like half of the kills, even if I have other fighters in the party.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    What, no love for my girl Branwen? OK, I'm biased. She kinda sorta reminds me of the first girl I ......... had a meaningful relationship with.

BG2 Aerie. All those spells!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    I think they're all well drawn and enjoyable. I like the variety of trying out different combinations.

That said, I think over the years I have grown fondest of Imoen and Minsc. I also like Kivan, Khalid, Monty, and Yeslick. Next tier for me would be Xzar, Xan, Coran, and Garrick. But I can honestly say that almost without exception I get a kick out of using them all.

Most of the NPCs that you can't pick up until later in the game I unfortunately tend not to use. Quayle, Tiax, Alora, Eldoth and Skie... they're all great, but it doesn't feel in-character for me to drop other comrades from the party to add them.

I think I only used Faldorn once. It seemed such a poor fit to add a druid to the party when so much of the remaining chapters are based in BG city.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    Edwin and Viconia in both BG1 and BG2
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    In BG 1
    My fav Tiax for sure , best sound set by far imo.Edwin, Sharteel, and Xzar come close after
    Most useful in BG 1 for me was Kivan , even tho I normally play evil party's he was a killing machine, it was tough keeping him happy.

In BG 2
    My fav was Korgan great stats and perfect dwarf tank for my evil band.Viconia and Edwin are a little behind him.Although I prefer the younger less patient Edwin(BG1 version).
    Most useful for me in BG 2 was Kelgorn I could hardly ever keep him long in my evil party.His stats wasnt great , but that dispel his paladin kit gets makes him pretty strong saved my butt a few times.

I was pretty sad when I got to Spellhold to find Tiax in BG 2.When playing BG 1 I wish I could ask Tiax what he wants to do and do that instead.Instead of messing with the Iron Throne.
    I think they're all well drawn and enjoyable. I like the variety of trying out different combinations.
    Very well said, this (along with random exploring, and the gritty feeling of starting at level 1) is what causes me to prefer BG1. Only by a little, mind you. But seriously trying out different combinations is so fun.

Most useful in BG 1 for me was Kivan , even tho I normally play evil party's he was a killing machine, it was tough keeping him happy.

Right? Kivan is just incredible ...
  • mellotronheartmellotronheart Member Posts: 13
    Xan's dialog was great, I wish he had been in BG2. "The majesty of the forest makes me feel insignificant"
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Let us not forget the magnificent, Biff the Understudy!!
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    This is rather tough.

Minsc is an obvious choice. He's funny, powerful, and one of those guys the game seems to want you to take too.

Edwin is another great one. I love his sarcasm and the fact that he's a very powerful mage.

Haer'dalis and Keldorn probably tie for me when it comes to the BG2 characters. Both are fun personality wise, though Keldorn is a powerhouse with the right equipment.

It's so hard to choose!
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I'm a Bhaalspawn gal, there is never a game where I don't have both Imoen and Sarevok as much as possible.