Skip to content

Dwarven Blackguard?

GazodGazod Member Posts: 35
I'm not completely up to date on the whole lore of the D&D rules etc, so if this sounds like a stupid idea i apologize.

But i enjoy playing dwarfs alot, and I'd love the idea of having a evil dwarven blackguard.

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Make one then, you'll need to do it in EEKeeper.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    In 2E AD&D, only humans could be paladins (and conversely, blackguards), I do believe. Dorn breaks that rule as an NPC, but pretty much every NPC in the Baldur's Gate series breaks a rule. It's what makes them unique.

So don't hold out hope for an official release, but do as @decado says and make the change in EE Keeper.
    Gazod
  • GazodGazod Member Posts: 35
    May sound like a stupid question. But how do i go about that? I've downloaded EE Keeper, but do i create a dwarf fighter, and change from fighter to blackguard? Or do i create a human blackguard, and change from human to dwarf? Or doesnt it matter?
    edited December 2013
    Probably best to make a human blackguard and change race to a dwarf. That way I assume all the Blackguard abilities would be in place etc (not sure if EE Keeper would apply all the class related bonuses simply by changing class). If you do change race don't forget to modify all the racial stats.
  • @decado's probably got the easiest method. Make a Human Blackguard, change to Dwarf and adjust your stats for the racial differences (+1 CON, -1 DEX, -2 CHA). The game is good about providing you the proper racial benefits after editing your race; at worst, you'll have to wait a level for your shorty save bonuses to kick in.

Alternately, you can use BGTweaks to remove all racial class restrictions, but this has an additional wrinkle with Dwarven Paladin variants: With the Dwarven penalty to charisma, it is not possible for them to roll a legal set of stats for a Paladin, and the game will crash when you try to roll ability scores. You have to take the additional step of either lowering the minimum Paladin charisma to 16, or reducing the Dwarven penalty to charisma to -1.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    decado said:

Probably best to make a human blackguard and change race to a dwarf. That way I assume all the Blackguard abilities would be in place etc (not sure if EE Keeper would apply all the class related bonuses simply by changing class). If you do change race don't forget to modify all the racial stats.

And remember to modify the appearance, otherwise, you'll still look like a human!
    [Deleted User]The_New_Romance
    And to change ALL the available colour option to black.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Easier still, just make a dwarven fighter. Use EE to change the class and kit to blackguard the lvl to 0 and exp to 1.
  • zunamizunami Member Posts: 42
    Under the tab called "Inate" which features your characters special abilities, there is an option to add a kit (the same option also let's you remove an undesired kit). The option let's you add abilities added by a kit of your choice within a level range of your choice. This way, you get the kit abilities for the blackguard.

If you chose a kit for your fighter initially, you can use this option to remove his kit abilities as well.

So I'd say go for Dwarf Fighter (because the fighter has roughly the same options from the start as the paladin, but no special abilities) , and then make sure to relocate you ability scores to that you meet the minimum requirements for a paladin which are: str: 12, con: 9, wis: 13 and charisma 17.

On the first or second tab, you can change your primary class in a drop down menu, set it to paladin. Then look for the tab that says "true class" or what ever kit you chose for the fighter. It's another drop down menu that you can use to select blackguard.

Remember that a blackguard has to be evil (despite this actually not being enforced in anyway, so you could theoretically play a good blackguard if you wanted).

Save and load the new edited save that EEKeeper creates in the game.

If you want everything to be as it's supposed to, create a second character who is a human blackguard, and use EEKeeper to copy-paste the background text and replace it with the fighter text you will still have in place of the proper one, but note that this has no in game effects.

You should remember that the blackguard is not eligible for any strongholds in baldur's gate 2.