Skip to content

Does anyone feel bad for killing Quallo's Carrion Crawler?

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Sort of... But then I remember it's for Lilarcor and start wondering why I didn't do it sooner.
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Yep, always felt like a right bastard for doing that. And Lilarcor is annoying too, but I just can't pass up such a useful weapon early in the game.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    edited December 2013
    No. Not a second.. carrion crawlers are disgusting, stinking (cover your nose Boo!) scavengers that are driven by only two urges: food and reproduction. And if they don't get food they will even attack and kill living creatures.. and as @Kaltzor already mentioned.. it's for Lilarcor.. some chars would even do far worse things to get it :) !!!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited December 2013
    The Alternatives mod contains a component (created by @Jastey, I believe) that allows you to finish the quest in the sewers without sacrificing Quallo's true friend. I don't think it's been updated to work with BG2EE yet though.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    nope. because i killed Quallo right after :)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Why wouldn't you kill it instantly? It's a horrid, gross, loathsome creepipede that wallows in filth, paralyses its prey, attacks faster than a lawnmower and hates everything you know and love, as well as being one of dozens you potentially killed in that sewer alone. The only possible cause not to shoot first and not even bother to ask questions later is a blue circle that your characters can't even see.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    If you feel bad, don't kill it.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Nope.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,700
    Well, I did and created the component for Alternatives, like @Shin mentioned (just to prevent misunderstandings: The mod is authored by berelinde, I contributed only two little things.)
    Only to learn then that
    **attention possible spoiler**

Quallo's dialogue line after killing the crawler (if you talk to him again) doesn't sound unhappy. So I am wondering whether not killing that "friend" is the evil way to go, actually.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    No sir.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Given his mind controlled state and his reaction when he's broken out of it, I wouldn't consider it evil either - at least not to Quallo. Then again, that particular carrion crawler isn't aggressive and never does the player any harm. Maybe it's unique amongst its brethren and really does consider Quallo its best friend.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I always do.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I actually never really bothered to figure out it was Quallo's friend, I just read a guide that said I needed to kill it and loot its blood. I've only ever talked to Quallo by accident :) so no I don't feel bad!
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    I'm still in therapy over this. It really ripped me up to have to end a friendship like that. It was his "one true friend" after all. I cry myself to sleep near every night!
  • CherudekCherudek Member Posts: 73
    Considering it was never truly his best friend, and the guy was just being mind-controlled for the sake of a stupid and obvious riddle game.... no, I don't.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    If I don't kill it, I can't get Lilarcor, and Quallo will remain in his mind-controlled state. If I do kill it, I get a nifty weapon and Quallo becomes free.

It is regrettable, but that Carrion Crawler has to die for the greater good! ;-)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    velehal said:

If I am playing good character I don´t do it. This is not the behaviour of good person to kill domesticated, harmless (seemingly) creatur to solve some unimportant quest. In this point of game the character doesn´t know what is the reward (Lilarcor).

Who says it has been domesticated? Not to contradict other things I have posted, but "Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly." If the Carrion crawler got hungry enough, I'd bet it would eat anything. And who is to say that Quallo is particularly picky about who it eats other than himself?

Just playing devil's advocate here.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    To be fair there should be a swath of satisfied carrion crawlers following in the wake of CHARNAME chowing down on the hundreds of corpses left in his path. Carrion Crawlers should probably revere CHARNAME as some sort of deity of plenty.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Not at all.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299

Who says it has been domesticated? Not to contradict other things I have posted, but "Fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly." If the Carrion crawler got hungry enough, I'd bet it would eat anything. And who is to say that Quallo is particularly picky about who it eats other than himself?

Just playing devil's advocate here.

I undestand but Quallo and his carion seem to be relatively calm and fine. At least measured by BG standards. They don´t attack me on sight, they don´t attack me after the conversation. It is better than three quater of all people (and monster) that the charname has met so far. So why bother them?
    View form metagaming perspective: Lilarcor is not so great. There are better swords.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @velehal - LOL. Fair enough. I mean, who is to say that Cats are domesticated?

You could look at it from another perspective. Clearly Quallo and the Carrion Crawler are "meant" to be there by some prophesy. It is therefore reasonable that the beast is "meant" to die by some higher power. In other words, the Gods themselves have decreed it, so who am I to argue?

Again, for devil's advocate as much as for any other reason.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2013
    Additional question: Does anybody know how this situation is handled by Virtue mod? Because I think that there is a small drop of virtue (not reputation) for killing the carrion. But I am not 100% sure, it is long time since I´ve played with this mod.
    Post edited by velehal on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Awong124 said:

elminster said:

I feel worse about the 3 gold I pickpocket from Quallo. Talk about kicking someone when they are down.

Quallo has the character model of a beggar that's only wearing a loincloth. I shudder to think from where you actually picked the 3 gold from.
    Adventuring isn't always a pretty job. :D
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    If Lilarcor doesn't feel bad about it, I don't!