Skip to content

[(BG1\2) BUG] nthNearestEnemyOfType objects (51-59) not working properly. (0813)

AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
edited August 2012 in Fixed
Originally posted by devSin in this thread. Since devSin won't beta test BG:EE, I thought I'd report his request here and atomize it for the devs' convenience.

CURRENT BEHAVIOR:

The nthNearestEnemyOfType objects (51-59) all return the nearest matching object.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

They should correctly return the nth-nearest matching enemy of the caller.
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited July 2012
    nvm - a bit crazy in there for me
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @SethDavis - Unfortunately, my IE expertise is too limited to even understand the contents of my post. I just barely cut&pasted what devSin said. You can either PM devSin and ask him directly, or... I could start dropping names like @cmorgan, @CamDawg and @Wisp to see if they can help you :)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited July 2012
    Looks like @SethDavis may have gotten it already before I arrived. All of these objects:

51 SecondNearestEnemyOfType
    52 ThirdNearestEnemyOfType
    53 FourthNearestEnemyOfType
    54 FifthNearestEnemyOfType
    55 SixthNearestEnemyOfType
    56 SeventhNearestEnemyOfType
    57 EigthNearestEnemyOfType
    58 NinthNearestEnemyOfType
    59 TenthNearestEnemyOfType

all return the

50 NearestEnemyOfType

edited to EnemyOfType, since I can't read.
    Well, it'll be educational at the very least
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2012
    @CamDawg
    devSin says *EnemyOfType and you say *EnemyOf, which is it? I have never noticed any problems with *EnemyOf (and I certainly hope they are functional, as both SCS/SCSII and aTweaks make extensive use of them), but then, I can't say I have ever specifically tested this aspect of the objects.
    I'm not sure this is an A issue, at least not right now. Fixing engine bugs is great, but these broken triggers are not currently used in BGEE at all, outside of Overhaul's mystery OH scripts.
    Whoops, yeah, it's EnemyOfType. Still, this shouldn't be an A issue at the moment.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited July 2012
    dang you guys are fast... made a script to test this

IF
    See(ThirdNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]))
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    MoveToObject(LastSeenBy(Myself))
    END
    So I should be moving to the third zombie (which I am using as my example... but I am moving to the front zombie.

@Wisp it appears to be just the nthNearestEnemyOfType with the problems so far as I can tell
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    Late to the party. What they said. Might be nice to have it work, but unless there is a really fancy cutscene or someone is seriously messing with AI scripting, it seems not as pressing.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Other than declaring these triggers officially broken :)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I agree. These engine bugs are probably better off in the "B" category.
    edited July 2012
    Okay, I have a more practical script you can use to test. This one just displays headstrings. Since there arent any debug strings (I would like to request some at some point)... it will display +3 vs lycanthropes sword name. I had a whole script with different names... but chopped it down because it always displays the string on the closest creature. If you can get it to display on the third creature... then it will be fixed:)

IF
    HotKey(D)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride(ThirdNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,6740))
    DisplayStringHead(Myself,6740)
    END
    Just assign this BS to your character, create some zombies and run around until you get them nicely spread out... then hit the "D" key. The string will display on your character and on one of the zombies.

Edit: @AndreaColombo also posted this which is similar and with minor changes you can use this script to test that also. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1674/bg12-bug-nthnearestmygroupoftype-objects-61-69-not-working-properly#latest
    Potentially fixed - The nthnearestenemyoftype functions now check for enemy, rather than alignment cutoffs. Tested using @Cuv 's script and instruction.
    @SethDavis, does that still mean, enemy for an ENEMY is a PC?
    edited July 2012
    @Avenger_teambg - That... is an excellent question....

Ok, PC's and Allies will now check for enemy while Enemies will check in reverse. Are there any Neutral battle scripts that would complicate this?
    Post edited by SethDavis on
    Confirmed fixed - with note: If there are not enough enemies, it will be the last possible one.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I have no idea how to test this one.
    edited August 2012
    LOL... I am about ready to post my findings and both of you post on something I never would have expected:P
    I tried to get the screenshot as the headstrings displayed... but they were correct.

Confirmed Fixed!!!! Huzzah!

@Tanthalas You can use something like this for the other NTH objects... but I suspect they are also fixed.

IF
    HotKey(D)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride(NearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~Nearest~))
    ActionOverride(SecondNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~SecondNearest~))
    ActionOverride(ThirdNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~ThirdNearest~))
    ActionOverride(FourthNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~FourthNearest~))
    ActionOverride(FifthNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~FifthNearest~))
    ActionOverride(SixthNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~SixthNearest~))
    ActionOverride(SeventhNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~SeventhNearest~))
    ActionOverride(EigthNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~EighthNearest~))
    ActionOverride(NinthNearestEnemyOfType([0.UNDEAD]),DisplayStringHead(Myself,~NinthNearest~))
    END
    @cmorgan, @jcompton or @camdawg - What is the WeiDU COMPILE command for a BS? I just used BCS and then manually changed the extension after it compiled. I needed the test strings.
    Well, with your confirmed fixed there's two already so I don't need to try and figure it out. \o/
    @Tanthalas Weren't there some other NTH bugs? Thought there were.
    edited August 2012
    @Cuv and @Avenger_teambg

Do you think this lingering problem mentioned by Avenger_teambg

If there are not enough enemies, it will be the last possible one.

Means this is still broken?

EDIT: Because then I'll move this to Confirmed not fixed.
    edited August 2012
    I don't know if it is a bug or not. I never used this object. I just noted this feature so it could be later documented in IESDP.
    @Cuv - I'm sorry - I work with weidu and add a test.cre in. i never use .bs or assign keys; I want my "toolkit .cre" to remind me which thing I want to accomplish, and get confuced as to what script I want to run and what key it needs and what it does...
    @Tanthalas My headstrings showed the proper strings on each one.. will run another test with just six and see what I get.
    @SethDavis There still seems to be a problem with the last checked. I only have 6, the battle log showed all nine entries.. need to double check what else it keyed on. In the screenshot the first 5 are absolutely correct, but not that last one... the NinthNearest. Should return SixthNearest.

@Avenger_teambg I don't think anyone ever used this function as it never worked even close to this good in vanilla BG1 or BG2. It's certainly useable now though... and I can't wait to make use of it. If the Ninth nearest cant be fixed.... then we can adapt and just put that in as the default last possible.
    @cmorgan So there isn't a WeiDU command for compiling a BS? A player script?
    Hmmmm, we shall see what I can do
    Cuv, there probably is, but I don't see it in the docs. Better get a script-guru to say for sure. From what i see, compiling it as a .bcs and then renaming it looks like it would do the trick.
    Thankies:) Not a very big deal, just trying to stay sorta clean with my weidu bgee patching.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Cuv
    There is nothing for compiling straight into BS, since BS is identical to BCS save for the extension. If you are concerned about leaving a BCS in the override, you can use MOVE. You can also juggle it in memory as an inlined file, but that may be more bother than it is worth.