Skip to content

*Spoiler* Dorn.

2»

Comments

• Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226
    Believe it or not, in all this mass of words filled with people's lackluster opinions, you are the only one to come forth with a straight out answer to the first question I asked. Everyone else was too busy getting their "well-informed" viewpoints across regarding Dorn's trustworthiness, etc.

Kudos.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @SpiffyMcBang: If you're referring to the thing with the tree, Ur-Gothoz gives the same order.
  • SpiffyMcBangSpiffyMcBang Member Posts: 160
    shawne said:

@SpiffyMcBang: If you're referring to the thing with the tree, Ur-Gothoz gives the same order.

Lame. I had my archer (yep, chaotic good!) talk Dorn into going with Azothet on the basis that she'd be less insane, but also for my own desire to see what kind of stuff the devs had ready if you sided with her. I'm disappointed there wasn't anything.

• Otherwise, it makes no sense to keep him under the chaotic Ur-Gothoz, but it does to keep him under Azothet (so he can keep his powers, and because Azothet knows what you're capable of. See above.)

I think this comes down to RP temperament and the individual character, but I'm still seeing a disconnect here.

You say: "Azothet knows what you're capable of."

You seem to mean: "Azothet knows I'm one bad dude and so won't try anything."

I think: "Azothet knows my strengths, and so will plan to circumvent them when she inevitably tries something."
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Yeah, that's a valid viewpoint too. It depends on how your character thinks.
    I see massive gaps in your reasoning too. A free Dorn is a weak Dorn, and any self-respecting evil-aligned character would not want him to lose his powers. Any self-respecting good/neutral character wouldn't have him in the first place.

In any case, this is going around in circles, and I've no desire to keep running it until the end of time.

I see massive gaps in your reasoning too. A free Dorn is a weak Dorn, and any self-respecting evil-aligned character would not want him to lose his powers. Any self-respecting good/neutral character wouldn't have him in the first place.

In any case, this is going around in circles, and I've no desire to keep running it until the end of time.

One other idea: It's not in any way unreasonable for an evil-aligned person to consider freedom an important thing. Korgan is more than happy to help you murder the slavers in Athkatla, for example. It may come from a survival-of-the-fittest mindset, where the individual wants everyone to have the freedom to grow strong so s/he can kick all the asses and prove his/her own strength, but it's still a belief that freedom is important.

This may be doubly so for an ally. An evil person does not necessarily have to demand an ally has the absolute maximum strength at all times, regardless of the cost; they could be perfectly happy with an ally they consider to still be strong. And Dorn as a fallen blackguard is certainly not any kind of weakling.
    And yet, as a fallen Blackguard, he is nothing when compared to Sarevok. Although an evil character might consider camaraderie as a viable reason for freeing him, that would be the exception to the rule.
    I think your conception of viable motivations for evil characters is somewhat narrow. "Evil" encompasses a range of motivations not significantly smaller than "good". Also, when you're making decisions about Dorn, Sarevok is not an option on the table.
    I'm not saying ALL evil characters would act this way, though. I am saying the majority of them would.

And in regards to the Sarevok thing, what I mean by that is, the moment he comes along, Dorn would be booted if he was a gimped fighter, as charame would know the power of Sarevok.
    Or if the PC hates Sarevok too much to bother with him. Which is not unreasonable either.
    The possibilities are endless!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

And in regards to the Sarevok thing, what I mean by that is, the moment he comes along, Dorn would be booted if he was a gimped fighter, as charame would know the power of Sarevok.

Because you'd rather have Sarevok - the guy who's tried to kill you on more than one occasion - than Dorn, who will (by the time you reach ToB) have proven his loyalty?
    Yeah, if that's your priority. You can geas Sarevok, after all, he's no threat. Every character's different. If the only option was to make Dorn a Fallen Blackguard, it'd be problematic, but as it is, there's multiple ways to take the plotline and multiple outcomes to suit different charname outlooks and priorities. I think that's great, myself.
  • UrthemielUrthemiel Member Posts: 13
    ... the lot of you, don't ever pick Evil alignment, it is obviously suited to none of you.
    ^ This. All bleeding hearts to save the Orc.
  • Spectre376Spectre376 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    @Edwin_Odesseiron - I think your interpretations of alignment are a bit narrow, but that is totally your opinion. You can create numerous ways for any characters to work together, regardless of alignment.

Now, more on topic, can't you just EEKeeper his status to not fallen if it's a huge deal?
    Well, cheating isn't really the point. And apparently, it's not actually a huge deal, because it makes no difference to Dorn's storyline no matter who you choose. So leave him as a Blackguard and get on with your adventuring.