Skip to content

Dual Class Sorcerer

Good evening,

Is it possible to dual class from Fighter to Sorcerer(Dragon Disciple)... so say level 2 fighter then dual to sorcerer?

I want my Dragon Disciple to be able to use Long Swords. (I tried using EEkeeper to add Long Sword Proficiency to my charname, as a Dragon Disciple no fighter levels, but even with the proficiency added long swords are still grayed out from use).

If it isn't possible, is it possible to mod this combination into existence using the classes and the EEkeeper?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Sorcerers can't currently be dualed even with modding, that part is still hardcoded.
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Darn, lol
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Should be able to put a Long Sword into their hands with EEKeeper, and give them proficiency points, too. Will have to re-do it on level-up though and you can't change weapons in the game, but hey it's one way...
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Toy around with the .2DA files in DLTCEP! That'll do it.

Fiddling with the files sounds scary lol. I guess I will just have to settle for a dagger... I really wanted my sorceress to wield the fire sword in the game. Run into battle with her sword and fire resistance... flinging fireballs, lol.

• ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    You can give yourself Use any item via ee keeper and use any weapon you choose. I used it the other day to make Jahiera an archer. For a druid to be able to use a spear and a sling but not a bow and arrow makes absolutely no sense, so I gave her that ability.

Your thaco and hp will still be horrible as a sorcerer, mind you, so it might best be used for cosmetic / RP reasons only.

Edit: wasn't sure if u meant ee or ee2, bg 1 ee doesn't have use any item I believe
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    @ReadingRambo the Effects are in BG:EE too, because, you know, it has all the spells from BG2 and everything but not HLAs. What means that Use Any Item is there, but it has no high level ability, but you can assign it with EEKeeper or NearInfinity. And the effect name in NearInfinity is "Can use any item" instead of just Use Any Item, just in case you've selected to sort the effects in a specifically alphabetical order.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    @Crevsdak ahh I actually made a post asking about it months ago, and no one mentioned that. I was searching for the "use any item" reference ID and didnt look for "can use any item."
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @ReadingRambo It happened the same to me, but I typoed (aka I made a typo :P) something with CA at the start and all the Effects with CA showed *sigh*, I saw it and I realized :P
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    scorpiova said:

Fiddling with the files sounds scary lol. I guess I will just have to settle for a dagger... I really wanted my sorceress to wield the fire sword in the game. Run into battle with her sword and fire resistance... flinging fireballs, lol.

You can use the Firetooth dagger in melee as a compromise. It's actually better since it sets your apr to 2.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    This makes no sense from any roleplaying perspective. Sorcerers have "natural magic" so it can't be a "learned class". Dualing FROM sorcerer would make sense, but dualing to sorcerer would be silly. Even sillier for Dragon Disciples since your power comes from your blood.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, like Harry Potter. "Yer a sorcerer, Harry."
    edited December 2013
    HandofTyr said:

This makes no sense from any roleplaying perspective. Sorcerers have "natural magic" so it can't be a "learned class". Dualing FROM sorcerer would make sense, but dualing to sorcerer would be silly. Even sillier for Dragon Disciples since your power comes from your blood.

If it's innate, wouldn't it just manifest at a random point- in this case when the dual happens? Unless sorcerers are slinging spells from day 1 out of the womb. It makes as much or more sense than dualing to mage and learning the basics in a fraction of the time it's supposed to take an apprentice to become an actual wizard (ie: level 1).
    I don't think so, considering all the other sorcerers have their powers manifest at a young age. But maybe. The Dragon Disciple one is the most questionable.

Edit: hmmm....I may be going by Pathfinder RPG standards, where Sorcs get their powers from a unique heritage (draconic, demonic, celestial, etc). It may be different in the Forgotten Realms setting

One thing for sure: Barbarian should NOT be a dual class option. Barbarian implies a heritage and culture (why I think its silly to have a barbarian from Candlekeep). I think what most people are considering a barbarian is actually more of a berserker-kit fighter.

But people should be able to do what they want (its a game!) so I approve of them making sorcerer a dual class option
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Dragon Disciple would make for a pretty complicated lineage... but if you didn't figure out for 20 years that you were half god, then it's plausible that you wouldn't realize your great-grandfather was a dragon either. For a sorcerer you could even explain it as your godly powers manifesting themselves as magic.
    nano said:

For a sorcerer you could even explain it as your godly powers manifesting themselves as magic.

i like this line of thinking
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Considering we have recorded draconic and half draconic bhaalspawn.......i think a DD PC could be really interesting power wise. Especially if you decided:

A. your blood sometimes opposed each other:
    e.g. Taking thief or secretive type spells (illusions etc) versus taking draconic show of force spells (FIREBALL).

B. Or your blood trying to work in tandem to make you stronger (No examples here cause, ya cause).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

versus taking draconic show of force spells (FIREBALL).

Who would ever not pick fireball? :O
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Silverstar

Hey don't look at me, I think every mage is a walking artillery unit. Seriously its only been recently that I began to look into spells other than Magic Missile, Scorcher, Web, Chromatic Orb, Fireball etc, since they did nothing to effectively advance the fight against an enemy.

I know better now but fireball and magic missile are both must have mage spells in my book. I think that is why I have such an issue trying to run in any party that includes Xan in BG1.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

Who would ever not pick fireball? :O
    Hmmm.. with Sorcs, I actually often don't pick fireball as staffs with that spell are common and I prefer skull trap as substitute for it.
    any spell that doesn't blow things up is worthless!!!!
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Who would ever not pick skull trap? :O
    Personally I think that dealing damage is the job of lowly peons party melee fighters, whilst the mage's is to cast the save-or-Xs that makes entire combats a breeze, but fixed it for you all the same. The only time you pick fireball is if you've boosted your frontliner's Fire Resistance to 100%+ or you just like to watch the pretty fire.

Concerning sorcerous lineages, that's actually a big mark in favour of being easily multiclassed/dualled into, just like your Bhaalspawn lineage only showing up in your early twenties (at least), Draconic puberty hitting in at level 9 Fighter is legit, and it's not like you need to retroactively learn the fundamental laws of wizardry, unlike Mages, it just happens.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Skull Trap schmull trap. It's much more necromantic than it is draconic; I play conceptually rather than min-maxy, so Fireball suits me just fine. With fire resistance robes/ring in addition to the innate resistance you can use Fireballs as mock Sunfires pretty early on. When everyone is dead or close to it, it makes entire combats a breeze.
  • wizzywazzowizzywazzo Member Posts: 33
    If you really want to use a sword, have you thought about level 5 phantom blade. I believe it acts as if you are proficient, or at least no penalty. I think this would be cooler from a RP perspective having a sorc summon a weapon in to use rather than carry around a magical weapon.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone... except the guy who was overtly offended at dualing sorcs, lol.

But yeah phantom blade might be neat, or simply the firetooth dagger. I don't think I've come across that dagger in a playthrough though, so I'll be on the look out. On another note I am thoroughly enjoying my fire focused dragon disciple :)
    Lol. I just read the last line and was like "who's the douche who was offended by this"... skimmed through the rest of the thread and realized the douche was me -_-

I wasn't offended, I just gave my opinion, which ended with "do what you want its your game". Didn't mean it to come off that way