Skip to content

I'm stuck!

I'm brand new at this and am already stuck. I've gone as far as I can without unlocking doors. How do I use a thief to unlock a door???

Comments

• agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2013
    Use this icon that I marked red on the picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgy9hte87n4kqbb/bgbg_14.jpg

Select the thief, click the icon and click the door.

You can use it to open chests (or anything locked), or to disable traps.

To find a trap, use the icon on the left (next to the one who unlock things). It will activate the "Searching traps mode". You just wait a few seconds, while your thief try to find a trap on the surroundings.

If you find one, just use the marked icon to disable it.
    Metalloman
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    And if you use the TAB button you will see every door/chest/container that could have a lock or that you could open.
    The icon you use to pick locks and to disable traps is also useful to pickpocketing people! :)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If your thief cannot unlock the door/container, it maybe because either he/she is not skilled enough, or the container/door has special locks that cannot be picked. In the latter case, the game log will show a message to indicate that.

I don't remember playing the tutorial, but I imagine it would explain basics like finding traps and unlocking doors. If you are a total beginner, definitely play that, cos this game does have a fairly steep learning curve and you're gonna get frustrated by all sorts of other things like how to learn spells.

Oh and those guys in robes hanging around Candlekeep... Talk to them. They are not called tutors for nothing :)
    Metalloman
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Yeah, the whole keep is a tutorial :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    You can also force some locks if you are strong enough (high or 18+ strength). Click on the sword icon, then on the thing you want to try and force open. If your strength is high enough, you might be able to do it. But if the item is trapped, you will set off the trap. Just saying.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    If you have both BG:EE and BG2:EE, and you don't want to play through the tutorial in BG:EE, then you can just load up BG2:EE and watch the tutorial movies (Shadows of Amn -> Continue -> How To Play). They are short, divided into topics, and touch on the important points.