Skip to content

First EE Playthrough Class Recommendations

So I'm not too sure how this game works since I've heard the EE edition is missing an expansion? I thought it came with them all, and didn't know the level cap way 7 or something like that for the first game. Seems like it's kind of a short game. Anyhow I wanted to be a Kensai/Mage, since it sounded cool and I like the idea of using melee while using magic. However I like Sword and Shield, and Kensai can't do that. So I decided to try and be a Fighter and dual-class to mage, but I don't know when to dual class. A lot of people say to do it at like level 6, but I've heard that's near the end of the game and I don't really like the idea of being just a pure fighter for most of it. Could anyone help me out here? It'd be much appreciated. Any tips, info, recommendations; they're all great.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Both BG EE and BG 2EE includes the expansions.

BG EE is not a short game, you just level up slower than in most other games.

A Kensai is kinda weak in BG 1 cos he cannot use ranged weapons (except throwing knives) or wear any armour. A Kensai/Mage can be very powerful, but most players say the optimal time to dual-class is lv9, which means u spend all of BG 1 as a weak warrior who can't tank effectively.

If you want to experience a fighter who can use spells, try a Fighter/Mage multi-class. You won't have to worry about when to dual-class. However, although he can wear armour and use whatever equipment a Fighter can, he cannot wear armour and cast spells at the same time.

If you want a fighter primarily, but have a few magical tricks, try the Paladin. A very solid choice for a beginner and powerful throughout BG 1 and BG 2. The most powerful weapon in the game in BG 2 is one that is strictly limited to Paladins.
    BrudeMaylanderCorvino
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    A very powerful character in BGEE is the elven archer, very fun to play and super offensive. You won't have to manage spellcasting, but it is a strong class that will help your party pass through the game easily while you experiment with your NPCs.
    KurumiCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    In BG1 there is no need for a precise class, you can use whatever class you want, although the Bards in the game suck, besides that there is no need of anything else.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    OBJECTION!
    My Skald has been owning all the way through the game.

You should warn him about monks, not bards.
    StuckinMudCrevsDaakThe_New_RomanceKidCarnival
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    I have to agree with Heindrich - a F/M is a better way to start out than Kensai/Mage. If you still intend to play Fighter -> Mage, do it with a Berserker instead of a Kensai. In that case you'll at least rock BG1 without too much hassle. Kensai has a hard time doing that.

Also, a Blade (Bard kit) could be an option. They play rather similar to a F/M. It's mainly a flavor thing though, both are very viable indeed.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Fafnir the NPCs bards, I also play as bards and I got the highest roll ever with a bard, I like them a lot, but the bard NPCs in BG1 suck, and Hairy D is amazing.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Oh sorry I misunderstood. Yeah, Garrick and Eldoth suck something fierce.
    CrevsDaak
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    It's good to have your main character be a warrior of some degree (meaning a Fighter, Ranger, Paladin, or Barbarian). You can multiclass this if you like. Having a warrior main character means you have a lot more hit points, which is good since if your main character dies, it's game over. Warriors are also good for beginning players since they are simple- you don't have to choose between spells or manage multiple abilities as a warrior. You said that you didn't want to be "just a pure fighter," (I'm the same way) but having the ability to effectively pound stuff to death when all your other options dry up is really useful.

I wouldn't worry about dual-classing honestly. It's certainly powerful but you have to go through a long period of being dead weight. This is especially true in the first game because experience is scarce and hard-earned. Multi-class characters can still be very powerful and keep a consistent power level throughout the series.

Basically: Warriors are easy to play and have a lot of hit points, so start there. Clerics and Mages are fun classes to multi with a warrior, but in the case of a Fighter/Mage you do give up your armor if you want to cast spells so you'll be a lot squishier in the early game, since you won't be able to get good robes until the mid-game. Fighter/Thieves are certainly viable but you'll find a lot of good thieves during your adventure, so it's a little bit redundant. Still, if it sounds cool to you, go ahead and play it.

The last thing I'll say is that you shouldn't worry too much about picking a very powerful build the first time around. The game is easy enough that any class can complete it as long as you give them decent stats and equipment. Remember that you're only 1/6 of a team and a varied party can cover any deficiencies that your main character has.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    I would recommend against dual-classing on your first playthrough. While it may be great *eventually*, you'll spend a lot of time just catching up. Besides, I personally prefer being best at something. For example, as a mage I want the maximum spell slots. As a fighter, I want to be able to hit something without 7 buffs. I don't dispute that dual-classing is powerful, but it's also extremely overused, and I just want to point out that pure kits can be fun and powerful as well, and they don't have periods of the game where your character just sucks.

By far the best thing to pick as a new player is some type of durable fighter. A pure berserker is excellent. They can tank, they can deal good damage, and their berserking can help against some of the most annoying spells in the game. The dwarven defender, I've found, is also a very potent melee character and the extra durability will be welcome if this is your first playthrough.

Personally, I really like the pure kensai as well, but they can't really tank. I never really liked the cheesy kensai/mage combo. The kensai on its own can do extreme damage but it really is a glass cannon. This makes it both fun (because you really are the best at something) but balanced.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I would suggest a fighter priest. Good fighting abilities, can heal, buff, summon and has some offensive spells while still being able to wear armor while casting. Specialize in slings and maces or warhammers, grab a shield and you're good to go. Robust yet fkexible and not "just" a fighter. Save the fancy duals and skinny mages for your next playthrough when you know what to expect for loot and enemies.
    KidCarnival
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'd second @Heindrich1988's recommendations of either a fighter/mage multi or paladin. These and fighter/clerics all have a nice balance of survivability, melee power and a fair few spells or special abilities to mix things up.

Any of those provide a solid base for you to build a party around and have no annoying dual-class downtime. Dual classing can give you some powergamey possibilities but usually is only margibally better than the multiclass option.

I personally really like Cavaliers as they have immunity to lots of things like poison, fear and charm which can ruin your day in Baldur's Gate:EE.

There are also a couple of threads on these forums on getting the most out of fighter/mages.
    JLee
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'd second @Heindrich1988's recommendations of either a fighter/mage multi or paladin. These and fighter/clerics all have a nice balance of survivability, melee power and a fair few spells or special abilities to mix things up.

Any of those provide a solid base for you to build a party around and have no annoying dual-class downtime. Dual classing can give you some powergamey possibilities but usually is only marginally better than the multiclass option.

I personally really like Cavaliers as they have immunity to lots of things like poison, fear and charm which can ruin your day in Baldur's Gate:EE.

There are also a couple of threads on these forums on getting the most out of fighter/mages.
  • Time4TiddyTime4Tiddy Member Posts: 262
    Ranger/cleric multi-class is a great option for a new player as they get high hit points and lots of spell choices. Depending on your armor you can be sneaky OR tanky, and you can heal and buff yourself as well as having access to some unique spells through the druid spell list.
    PantalionJLee
  • LucreLucre Member Posts: 16
    I recently bought BG1 and 2 EE with the intention of playing through them both with a single character. I'm not totally inexperienced, as I completed the main quest of both games back in the day.

Before starting, I read up quite a bit and decided, "Right, a Kensai/Mage dual class seems to be generally agreed to be strongest, so I'm going with that." I had a pretty unpleasant time of it at the start of BG1 and eventually decided to give up and go with F/M. I've completed BG1 and I'm now into BG2 with the same F/M.

So I would also endorse Heindrich's recommendation. I'm not denying that other classes might be better than F/M, but it's a solid choice for a beginning character.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    F/M or F/C multiclasses are great options, but don't forget fighter kits like Dwarven Defender or Berserker. Both are very, very powerful all the way through the saga (but particularly in BG1 they outshine the caster classes because you don't start out with very many spells) and you almost can't build one the wrong way, making them ideal characters for a first playthrough.

There'll be plenty of time to make yourself a cheesy kensage dual-class later on :)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I second Ranger/Cleric multiclass. You get great armour, you get great spells, you get great weapons, and you don't have to be human, which is a straight bonus, and Ranger/Clerics are the best Divine casters in the game bar none.

And if you do want to pull off a Fighter/Mage, for a first playthrough, just multiclass. Kensai -> Mage is incredibly overrated, Berserker -> Mage is a little better, but you're not going to be much of a mage, if at all, in BG:EE.
    Time4Tiddy
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I agree on starting with a divine caster. With a kensai/mage, you spend most of BG1 as a kensai and frankly, pure fighters, kitted or not, aren't the most exciting thing to play. Divine casters may have limited weapon choices, but in BG1, they have 2 very powerful weapons available early on. With a cleric/fighter or cleric/ranger, you get the best of all worlds - decent HP and very good melee/tanking ability, a good spell selection - buffs, summons, crowd control, damage - and no worries about armor, since you can wear whatever you want and still cast.

If you prefer tanky characters - fighter/cleric. If you rather deal some more damage and/or want to dual wield, ranger/cleric. There is no advantage at all to playing human unless you want to dual class, so having the option to pick a dwarf (for better saves and con) or half orc (for strength and con) is definitely a bonus.
    JLee
  • ancient_hunterancient_hunter Member Posts: 6
    I'm playing through my first time as well,

I rolled with a Dwarven Defender, and i gotta say it's pretty boss, it isn't very flexible (you're a tank and only a tank) but it's been a good way to learn the ropes. I will def be rolling a caster of sorts in BG2 but for now I am just fine with my shorty tank.

High Ho, High Ho, its off to the Sword Coast I go...
    Moomintroll