Skip to content

Help a fella out

Hi guys, help me out please. I cants seem to stop rerolling... I want to play a BGEE game all through BG2EE when it comes out and I need help choosing a class. I basically narrowed it down to the following:

- Paladin (Inquisitor or Cavalier)
- Skald
- Archer
- Avenger

Basically I want something with utility but not to the point that it's requires too much micromanagement. I'd also like something that doesn't get too powerful or too gimped before ToB.

Stat allocation and Weapon Profs would be nice if you can suggest those as well. :-)

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Have you considered a Fighter/Thief or Fighter/Cleric? Both fit the utility bill without requiring too much micromanagement.

Not helping much I know...

If I had to choose from the above knowing I would carry through to TOB I'd probably go with Inquisitor. 18's in STR/CON/DEX/CHA and as high as possible in the rest.

Two handed sword, two pips in two handed style and probably crossbow. It's hardly original though.
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    Looks like you caught rerollitis.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    From your list, I'd go Cavalier. Good bonuses for the first game, not OP in the second. Your weapons of choice are two-handed swords (because Carsomyr) and axes (because throwing axes, to get around their only limitation).

If you really want Inquisitor dispels, you can always travel with Keldorn in BG2. In that case, you may want to choose flails (because Flail of Ages) or war hammers (because Crom Faeyr). Carsomyr is arguably the best weapon in the game, but role play wise I like the idea of a sword-and-board style Paladin.

Archer has almost no utility at all. It's a point and click class.

Skald requires micro management to get the most out of it. (You can also just set a script to have em sing constantly, which is duller than playing an Archer).

Avenger is fun if you can live with the heavy restriction on armor and weapons. The other downside is that Druids hit that nasty XP wall about mid way through BG2.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    From your list Inquisitor.

Skald tends to Gimp out near the end of ToB and Archer tends to make the game a bit to easy.

Avenger is the second most (after Skald) micromanaged class on the list so that leaves the 2 pali classes.

With Inquisitor and Cavalier, you face more spell slingers than you do dragons or demons in the series so it can be more practical.
  • aikavariaikavari Member Posts: 7
    Pally it is then. Good since I always tend to play Paladins whether in WoW or Diablo 2. How would I allocate stats? I feel I need to roll something in the mid to high 90s to make it work... What's the bare minimum OK stats without getting too gimped?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited December 2013
    Depends on how dumb you want to be and how powergamey you want to be.

A roll of 88 gives;

18 STR
    18 DEX
    18 CON
    3 INT
    13 WIS (min for a Paladin)
    18 CHA

So any roll above 88 I guess would pump your INT. How much is up to you though. Ideally you want to end up with 11 INT to be able to survive an additional flayer hit.
    Wouldn't a paladin need 14 to cast level 4 priest spells? Also, I don't like min maxing so I'll probably start with 10 int to make it believable....

Now should I start another Cavalier vs Inquisitor debate? LOL.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited December 2013
    Getting a good roll with a Paladin is ridiculously easy.

I wouldn't drop INT below 10-11 if you plan on importing the character into BG2, due to specific encounters.

Edit to add: A Paladin's WIS score has no effect on their spell casting ability.
    So I rolled the following numbers on my Paladin:

18/87

I'll just up the stats through tomes.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    Looks like a good start to be honest. I never liked dumping Intelligence too low, as it tends to lead to instant deaths if you bump into an Illithid. Did you stick with the Inquisitor or Cavalier?