Skip to content

Sarevok's Armour

UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
edited September 2012 in General Modding
So I love Sarevok as he appears in BG1 so I was somewhat disappointed that he become just another fighter in TOB. I understand that they give an in-game reason for why he doesn't have his armour but even still. I have searched for mods that allow his original model to be restored but alas there are none.

So to all you modders out there would this be possible? And would anybody else like to be able to play as a Sarevok in full dress um, I mean... armour.

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    Yes it is possible. The problem is if you change Sarevok's animations to his 'in armour and weapon' version, he'll never appear to equip anything and he will always have a sword. It is not possible to change this, as new artwork would need to be made.

There is a work around, add Sarevok's armour TO THE GAME and make it only wearable with his sword, which you get from the genie. When he takes the armour off he goes back to a generic fighter animation.

The other complaint is that he'll be tall compared to everybody else, but I don't think it matters.
  • _Q__Q_ Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2012
    I remember Diablo II had "sets" of equipment. If you equipped every part of a set, your character would get extras buffs from the equipment. In a few cases, completing the entire set would also change the appearance of your character (I think one set turned your character into a vampire). Maybe something like this could be done for Sarevok in BG2. If he equips his armor, helmet, and sword, then he gets an extra buff and his sprite changes to his BG1 sprite.

The idea of Sarevok wearing his helmet and armor, but not changing sprites because he's not using the right weapon seems silly though. It would look especially weird if you changed weapons in mid-combat and Sarevok's appearance instantly changed. It might be best to leave things as they are.

Edit: Another option would be to make the items un-removable (like Imoen's Belt). But that would be pretty lame too.
    Post edited by _Q_ on
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    My understanding is that Sarevok's armor is a part of his model, as is his sword (which is also unique). That's why he can be a larger size than any other human in the game. Also, since the source art/textures/animations etc are lost I don't think there can be any way to have someone else equip it without a lot of rough edges. I've heard that if you use cheats/mods to have Sarevok in your party wearing that armor, dual-class him to a mage and try to cast a spell the game will crash because that model doesn't have a spell-casting animation.

Long story short: a lot of work for little gain.
  • RaklinRaklin Member Posts: 13
    Hrm, a few years back I found a mod that did exactly this, let me see if I can find it.
  • RaklinRaklin Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2012
    Ah, found it.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_mods_hosted_misc2.php
    Mod is labeled "Sarevok by Eric," but I never tested it myself, as I prefer Sarevok w/o his massive armor, and I'm also leery of mods introducing "Powerful weapons," as that could easily mean god mode gear.
    The mod also includes a sound set (I'm assuming sounds ripped from BG1) and a portrait.

EDIT: Just to clearify, this does replace Sarevok's animations with the restrictions that Ward mentioned.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    This didn't happen in the old BG days I'm pretty sure? The weapon just wouldn't show up at all, keeping the default attack animation (meaning no extra sword floating in front of Sarevok)