Skip to content

Does anyone else kill off their own party members in hard fights?

kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
Caveats, playing on insane with SCS...

On many Mage fights, rather than letting my npcs get chunked, I've been just letting neera and Nalia nuke the team down after their magical protections wear off so that my Charname F/M can then solo the fight by wearing out the enemy protections... This is how I beat the celestial fury fight, and the tolgerias fight now. It could be because at level 11 ish, I can't take down any of the enemy mages magical protections while their dispels always work on me...

I guess if I had ruby ray etc and I could actually do more than survive against the toughest mages until they run out of protections that would be different...

What it comes down to is that if a pit fiend etc gets summoned, instant chunking for anyone without stone/iron skin and same with flame arrows etc or sequencers of skull traps. For some reason ADHW does not chunk my guys though...
Post edited by kryptix on

Comments

• Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    ADHW doesn't do friendly fire.
    I'm afraid I can't comment on anything else here.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I guess that's one way to do it, but I'd rather turn them invisible and run them away. I also have the SCS component that makes them less likely to get chunked. You can look into that if you're having problems.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    @Xei_Win_Toh I meant I don't get chunked when my casters get hit with a 100 damage ADHW, but I do when I get hit by a 100 damage skull trap/flamestrike etc. I love how I could cast ADHW with a level 9 Neera though, but not consistently enough to matter :)

@nano I have the component that makes them less likely to get chunked too but I think that only makes it so it takes -20 to get chunked, which seems to happen all the time anyway.
    You could try Minor Globe of Invulnerability, blocks all 3rd level spells like Skull Trap and Flame Arrow. If you can cast a Limited Wish you can protect your whole party :)
    CrevsDaak
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    nano said:

You could try Minor Globe of Invulnerability, blocks all 3rd level spells like Skull Trap and Flame Arrow. If you can cast a Limited Wish you can protect your whole party :)

Does it block dispel too (which is level 3) or do I still need SI:Abjur?
    You still need SI:Abjuration. Spread out ASAP so he doesn't dispel everyone... or send in one guy to make him waste his dispels
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    kryptix said:

@Xei_Win_Toh I meant I don't get chunked when my casters get hit with a 100 damage ADHW, but I do when I get hit by a 100 damage skull trap/flamestrike etc. I love how I could cast ADHW with a level 9 Neera though, but not consistently enough to matter :)

The game actually takes the damage source into account when deciding if you get chunked. Ranged weapons (bows, slings, etc.) and piercing weapons will never chunk regardless of damage, and spells vary on whether they chunk or not.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    Cloudkill and running against Tolergias is pretty good, more if you have the Wand of CK from the mage that is holding Hairy D captive. I killed Tolergias in the Planar Sphere with 3 Cloudkills, run away and close the door :P Also, Anomen caste Zone of Sweet Air when the bazterd mage was dead.

AND setting a Chain Contingency with 3 ADHW to SELF ignores ENEMIES MAGIC RESISTANCE!! So load up 3 and done! Also, Neera can cast CC if she learned the spell with no chance of Wild Surge via NRD (at least that happens in the vanilla version).
  • koalabobkoalabob Member Posts: 22
    @kryptix and @nano - Admittedly this is from my experience in BGEE and could be changed in BG2EE, but the Minor Globe of Invulnerability should stop Dispel Magic. I had many a fight where my Blade was fully buffed out with the Globe up and was completely disregarding the enemy mages dispel attempts.

I think there is a mod (aTweaks I believe) that (un)nerfs the Minor Globe so it is affected by Dispel Magic but in a normal game it should protect you from Dispel.
    @koalabob Hmm, I've always assumed that the spell protections (like Globe) and dispel magic just ignore each other - ie, they can't be taken down by dispel but they don't block it either. But that'd be pretty awesome if it does block it! I'll have to give it a try later.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    koalabob said:

@kryptix and @nano - Admittedly this is from my experience in BGEE and could be changed in BG2EE, but the Minor Globe of Invulnerability should stop Dispel Magic. I had many a fight where my Blade was fully buffed out with the Globe up and was completely disregarding the enemy mages dispel attempts.

I think there is a mod (aTweaks I believe) that (un)nerfs the Minor Globe so it is affected by Dispel Magic but in a normal game it should protect you from Dispel.

According to this: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/55954/#Comment_55954

The globe spells won't be dispelled, but they also don't afford any protection. This lines up with my experience where Arrows of Dispel will hit a Mage with Mirror Image and Minor Globe up and remove the Mirror Image. That's assuming that Arrows of Dispel have the same mechanics as a guaranteed Dispel spell, though.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    I only have one rule. Everyone fights. No one quits. You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself. You get me? ;)
  • koalabobkoalabob Member Posts: 22
    Hmmmm...maybe I was just really lucky then. Before my blade hit level 10 (and had access to 4th level spells) I had numerous encounters where I'd cast my buffs rush into battle and then have everything dispelled in the first round. After getting the Minor Globe and keeping that up I never had anything dispelled. It could be the fact that my level was higher so it was harder to dispel, but that was also the point where I was fighting higher level mages too...with SCS one of the Aec'Letec cult members was a 15/15 mage/fighter, so they should have been able to dispel me fairly easily (3 out of 4 at least).

I will run some tests on both my old BGEE and new BG2EE game and see. The way you guys are describing it sounds more "fair" in my mind though so I hope it works that way.

...another thought, I noticed that with the "smarter" AI from SCS the mobs sometimes cheat and know what spell protections you have and then don't cast spells that you're immune to. I wonder if the Minor Globe did something like that to where they thought Dispel Magic was ineffective and just didn't cast it?
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    You don't need high level to take down enemy's shields. Both Breach and Spell Thrust are more than enough for wizards like Tolgerias who is, to be frank, quite on the lower level.

I almost never use Dispel Magic (unless it's Inquisitor). Not party friendly and very unreliable.

I remember how I took out the group in Delosar's Inn (1st floor) just with my mage. Minor Globe and Skull Trap spamming did the trick quite nicely :)
    sunset00