Skip to content

Teaching my boyfriend to play BG

civian1991civian1991 Member Posts: 57
So, my boyfriend saw what an awesome time I was having playing BGEE, killing kobolds and saving kittens, and he has decided to play too.

"Great!" I thought, "finally he has seen the light!".

He now asks me SO many questions! Always when i'm getting emotionally involved in the game too. GRRR

Like "how come Khalid can't learn spells?" and "what does the number in the bracket mean next to the items in the store?"

I'm at work, and he texts me about what kind of choices he should make LOL.

It's cute, but frustrating! Probably how I was with my brother when I was learning to play.

What's your BG guru experience been like with new players?

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well most of it is just in this forum. i can take a moment and think by just not posting. funny he asked about khalid learning spells. i guess too much elder scrolls, though I played elder scrolls before i ever played BG :)
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    'Don't teach my hamster to suck eggs!'
    After telling them that they seem to manage =p

Also, patience. And clicking on the green robed guys at Candlekeep was a big help.

I'm playig a multiplayer game right now with 2 of my friends. One is an avid mmo player and the other does indie games. It's been interesting.
  • bman86bman86 Member Posts: 115
    CrevsDaak said:

A girlfriend teaching you how to play BG, the thing all the males in this forum want.

lol, true spoken

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Uh, besides that I tried multiplayer with some friends, but none of them knew a single thing, good luck I didn't let them create a character, one of them don't speaks english (and I have the game in english XD), so he was saying he knew what Druidicl Spell were the best, he selected Shiellagh, Entangle, Detect Traps and Goodberries, I laughed a lot, and gave him a lvl40 fighter and grabbed a 10/11 M/T, I killed him very easily, he didn't knew that I had casted Stoneskin, nor he didn't knew about Sunfire, and not to mention when I casted Power Word Sleep on him XD it was awesome :P a thing I enjoy a lot is killing noobs, and teaching them later, while killing them.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    We are with you @civian1991.
    So...your boyfriend is on his way to become a real BG fan and veteran.
    Don't worry about his seeming noobness, his questions.
    The road to true RPGs is dark and full of terrors.
    Have patience with him.
    We all need to learn.
    We all need to grow.
    And having a girlfriend be the mentor - that'd be the dream of 80% of us, the forum inhabitants.
    He will reward you with his powerful characters and impeccable strategy, once you seek to play together. To conquer the Faerun together.
    To make them all tremble under your boots.

...consider him your own Bhaalspawn, that you groom to be a LORD OF MURDER!
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    Heh, I remember the first thing my boyfriend said after he started a character.

"How the hell are you supposed to kill these wolves?"
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    edited December 2013
    You're having better luck than I am with my boyfriend... The poor kid spent hours just rolling a character because he kept hitting the "reroll" button at the worst times... And then, after he created the character, the shiny new sword he got from Winthrop broke while he was killing rats. Rats. He almost died without leaving Candlekeep!

I started a multiplayer game with him with an archer (so no breaking random weapons this time around!) and he seems to like it more with someone else playing with him.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Your boyfriend is pretty lucky, having a girlfriend playing Baldur's Gate :).

I never had an opportunity to teach someone how to play BG, expect for my older brother (it wasn't frustrating, since he was a quick learner). I imagine that teaching someone to play who never heard anything about DnD would be quite a challenge.
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    I'm playing with my friends at the moment. We're in the docks about to go to that unmarked house. They know about the minotaurs. They don't know about Kangaxx d(^_^)b

“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.” -Terry Pratchett
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    edited December 2013
    CrevsDaak said:

Uh, besides that I tried multiplayer with some friends, but none of them knew a single thing, good luck I didn't let them create a character, one of them don't speaks english (and I have the game in english XD), so he was saying he knew what Druidicl Spell were the best, he selected Shiellagh, Entangle, Detect Traps and Goodberries, I laughed a lot, and gave him a lvl40 fighter and grabbed a 10/11 M/T, I killed him very easily, he didn't knew that I had casted Stoneskin, nor he didn't knew about Sunfire, and not to mention when I casted Power Word Sleep on him XD it was awesome :P a thing I enjoy a lot is killing noobs, and teaching them later, while killing them.

"Think fast!"
    (Pwn)
    "Not fast enough, grasshopper…"
  • civian1991civian1991 Member Posts: 57

You're having better luck than I am with my boyfriend... The poor kid spent hours just rolling a character because he kept hitting the "reroll" button at the worst times... And then, after he created the character, the shiny new sword he got from Winthrop broke while he was killing rats. Rats. He almost died without leaving Candlekeep!

I started a multiplayer game with him with an archer (so no breaking random weapons this time around!) and he seems to like it more with someone else playing with him.

@Nonnahswriter LOL mine did that too, I had to pretty much tell him what to put points in though. And after an hour rolling his half-elven skald who was proficient in Halberds, he didn't have enough strength to USE the halberd!! I just laughed, he seemed a little hurt.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    My girlfriend quit after Imoen was killed in the second area by a dart throwing skeleton :(
    "but she was sooooo cute. and the skeleton was soooo scawy"

But she thinks Boo is cute :)
  • albinocobraalbinocobra Member Posts: 56
    edited December 2013
    Not really BG, but I feel like sharing. One time my GF insisted that I show her how Guild Wars work. She took my necromancer for a spin, summoned a creature (think it was a zombie) then proceeded to run from it and scream: "It's follooowiiiing meeeeeeeee". Laughed my behind off.

As far as BG goes, at this moment I can only think of my own stupidity (and how I learned from it xD) - my very first run was an archer that stopped using bows right around chapter 2. I can't even begin to fathom how dumb I must have been at that time. I wish there was someone at that time I could have bothered at work >.<

Not really BG, but I feel like sharing. One time my GF insisted that I show her how Guild Wars work. She took my necromancer for a spin, summoned a creature (think it was a zombie) then proceeded to run from it and scream: "It's follooowiiiing meeeeeeeee". Laughed my behind off.

LOL. My girl would do the same thing. Thank god she never made it to the ankheg farm. :D I'd have to record that on video.

LOL. My girl would do the same thing. Thank god she never made it to the ankheg farm. :D I'd have to record that on video.
    As someone who ran an Assassin/Necromancer character in the original Guild Wars...

*facepalm*

As someone who ran an Assassin/Necromancer character in the original Guild Wars...

*facepalm*
    we can't all be Xena, a mighty princess, forged in the heat of battle

*facepalm*
    we can't all be Xena, a mighty princess, forged in the heat of battle
    Lol, true.
  • civian1991civian1991 Member Posts: 57
    He and Lord Binky the Buffoon deserve each other!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Today I tested BG:EE's 1.2.2031 Multiplayer, and it reminded when I played with a (noobish) friend and I gave him the Belt of Gender Change AND HE EQUIPPED IT!! I laughed a lot, but he decided to stop playing :P he was very offended, mostly because he said he had played BG lots of time, he didn't knew the game before I mentioned it :P
    CrevsDaak said:

Today I tested BG:EE's 1.2.2031 Multiplayer, and it reminded when I played with a (noobish) friend and I gave him the Belt of Gender Change AND HE EQUIPPED IT!! I laughed a lot, but he decided to stop playing :P he was very offended, mostly because he said he had played BG lots of time, he didn't knew the game before I mentioned it :P

don't we all do that to our victims when they are new to the game :)
    @ChildofBhaal599 I was playing with like 4 friends in my home, I couldn't be good with all of them, and they've tried to troll me too, one of them used a Chromatic Orb from his Avenger over me, I replies with a Magic Missile, which seemed deadly, because he used CON as a dump stat, he had 3 CON and he thought his character with 18 INT 18 WIS 18 CHA was a killer, not to mention he wasn't using weapons he was proficient with, I gave him a Dagger+1 (and he had + in Daggers and + in Single Weapon Style), but he liked the staff much more, he thought that the staff was cooler and used the staff because it dealt more damage, he deserved to be trolled with a cursed item, and it was a planned joke with other friends :P
    I tried to make my boyfriend wear the belt of gender-change. He was too smart and I was too smiley. :( I no good at poker.
    @Nonnahswriter well, you have a big pile of cursed items to make him wear, but that one is the funniest :D
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    I tried and failed to even get halfway through BG twice before I got the hang of it. Your boyfriend is lucky to have such a patient mentor.

I tried to make my boyfriend wear the belt of gender-change. He was too smart and I was too smiley. :( I no good at poker.

dang maybe you should have not told him anything? :)

i remember my first playthrough i got the belt and i didn't know DnD or anything so I didn't know the ways to identify and I just saw it was blue so I was like "hey, there must be something special about this" and put it on Imoen. I think I remember it took me a while before I noticed she was a he! yeah, so I reloaded to before that little mishap :)