Skip to content

I see a lot of talk about "Cheese"

2»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    I think a lot of the cheese talk/calls for changing mechanics are for people who take a single player game competitively. The ones who like to go online and say "This game is just too easy, I'm just way too good at Baldur's Gate. You simians wish you were as talented at your preferred mode of entertainment".

Meanwhile I suck and I just got killed six times in a row during Neera's first quest my last playthrough. I was dying for some kind of cheese to help me out.

Plus I'm a hamster. Rodents love cheese.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    For me, The Shield of Balduran does not count as cheese since Beholders are cheesy in themselves.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'm a Jarlsberg man, myself.
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Like many have said already, it doesn't matter if you use cheesy tactics as long as you enjoy the game. I think that using the staff of magi as a backstabbing weapon is very cheesy, but I'll still do it.

However, I do think that cheese and cheats should be avoided the first time you play this or any game (well any good game). Searching a guide for the best weapons and class abilities takes a lot of the magic out of a first run of Baldur's Gate.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    demented said:

Like many have said already, it doesn't matter if you use cheesy tactics as long as you enjoy the game. I think that using the staff of magi as a backstabbing weapon is very cheesy, but I'll still do it.

However, I do think that cheese and cheats should be avoided the first time you play this or any game (well any good game). Searching a guide for the best weapons and class abilities takes a lot of the magic out of a first run of Baldur's Gate.

I agree to a certain extent, but the "magic" of my first run was having a ranger with 14 in every stat get repeatedly chunked by ankheg spittle.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Shandyr said:

While everyone may have their opinion of what cheese is and what it is not, my problem is when e.g. player A can only enjoy his/her game when player B,C,D and so on play the way that player A feels is the *right* way to play.

Some people call something "cheese" just because it is not their way of playing the game and they want to depreciate any other ways of playing the game.

This gets to the crux of the matter here.

TBH - there is no cheese and no cheating in a closed environment SP game. For one cannot cheat upon themselves.

• MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    I agree with the folks who feel that cheese is a matter of exploiting game mechanics. Also, I feel that such tactics shouldn't be adviced or recommended to new players - yes, it will make life easier, but it will also trivialize a lot of the fun fights. Example: Shapeshift to an ooze, immune to poison and a bunch of other stuff, and have entire groups of enemies slowly die in a poison cloud (spell or wand).
  • futhwofuthwo Member Posts: 12
    Cheese is always good. Both in-game and outside. But the latter HAVE to be Italian cheese, for the rest of the world can't compete (even France...well, actually EXPECIALLY france...who dare to compete on wine too....what a delusion!)
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I have to disagree on that. A strong Danish cheddar, aged to the point where it comes to you when you whistle for it ... yummie! That, and trap abuse are my favorite flavors!
  • NightmareNightmare Member Posts: 20
    I just want to add that I agree the shield of Bauldron is cheesy it says deflects beholder rays which makes you assume that's all it deflects but really, it deflects every single attack beholders do whether it's cast lightning, confuse, or even just headbutt you, the shield makes you completely and utterly immortal to beholders. Though with that said I did still use it to complete the unseeing eye quest :P

Little off topic I accidently went straight to the Underdark and in turn missed the cloak of mirroring, is there any other way to get it or can I go back to get it?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    @Nightmare: No, sorry - you can't go back once you've entered the Underdark.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    This thread is making me hungry. Time for lunch.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    jackjack said:

I'm a Jarlsberg man, myself.

Jarlsberg is great stuff for sure, but Edamer and Nøkkelost also go pretty high on the list.
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2013
    Running around with mislead (the clone is at the other side of the continent btw) and improved haste.

Kensai-mage. 8 attacks each round. Nothing can see you, nothing can react. It's cheese :)
    Shandyr said:

There's always been lot's of cheese-talk on this forum.

While everyone may have their opinion of what cheese is and what it is not, my problem is when e.g. player A can only enjoy his/her game when player B,C,D and so on play the way that player A feels is the *right* way to play.

I've seen a lot of that attitude - but that's not restricted to this game.

Some people call something "cheese" just because it is not their way of playing the game and they want to depreciate any other ways of playing the game.

I call MY "tactics" cheese (mostly), because they are.