Skip to content

One choice and now i'm evil?

TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
So my charname is in Hell and I I have been an very good LG monk for the whole game. I make one decision so I choose to go left so as not to loose any dex or HP with the knowledge that I can just resurrect my guy (And the Demon keeps choosing Keldorn). That one choice makes my character LE.

Is there any way around this?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Pretty sure you made some other choice in the Hell trials that was evil. If you have a save from before that, I would reload to that point. I am certain I have done the same as you, made all good decisions except that one and I came out still Chaotic Good.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Three choices.

a) Suck it up, the difference is purely aesthetic (Unless you're a class that can Fall)
    b) EEKeep it back
    c) Reload and pick the Good path.

Yeah, the trial is a little silly, since by that point in the game it seems perfectly reasonable even for a roleplayer to realize that you can easily resurrect a party member and to simply evaluate the choices based on their impact on your personal stats.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    From my understanding you make one wrong move and you go evil. I mean you did just let your friend die, even if you resurrected he must have felt it :)

Don't worry though. Save him and you get magic resistance in replacement
  • TheNPCTheNPC Member Posts: 57
    I did everything else good. So I don't know why and I don't have any saved games before Hell.
    I tried to have one of the other taken but it homes in on him. I don't recall my alignment changing when Minsc was chosen in the past.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yep, my personal Evil was being mad at the man who murdered my father. For that, despite my bravery, altruism, humility and benevolence I became Chaotic "Cat Murderingly" Evil.

Hell Trials have always been a little messed up like that.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited December 2013
    Madhax said:

Yeah, the trial is a little silly, since by that point in the game it seems perfectly reasonable even for a roleplayer to realize that you can easily resurrect a party member and to simply evaluate the choices based on their impact on your personal stats.

And how do you RP advance knowledge of the consequences of the good path? Or are they reversed if you change your mind during the trial?

(isn't the dead party member unrezzable on core difficulty btw?)

Also @TheNPC I'm guessing you have 18 dex. Between 18 and 19 you get 1 ranged THAC0 so it's not a big deal for most classes to give up 1 dex in hell and get it back to 18 in Watcher's Keep. Unless you wanted to give that dex to someone else, of course.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The party member is unrezzable if you are on Core Rules or above. However, if you have the component of BG2 Tweaks that reducing chunking slightly they can also survive on Core Rules.

Btw, @TheNPC, the Selfishness trial will always pick the character who has been in your party the longest (if you open your save in EE Keeper, this will be the second person after Charname in the character order). You can metagame it by, for example, booting everyone from your party and then going around and recruiting them in a specific order. However, this will break the vanilla romances (not the EE romances, though).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I've always wondered what the character order in EEKeeper was about.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Does the exploit for this trial still work? In non-EE, it was possible to put the boots of speed on the NPC that would be taken. When they're taken, but before they are removed from your party, you could pause the game really quickly, and have the NPC open the door without them dying.
    But Jaheira is the one whose been in my group the... Oh right harper stuff.

Also, I never finished Watcher's Keep. Where is the Dex boost?
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    The machine on the fourth level.
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    TheNPC said:

So my charname is in Hell and I I have been an very good LG monk for the whole game. I make one decision so I choose to go left so as not to loose any dex or HP with the knowledge that I can just resurrect my guy (And the Demon keeps choosing Keldorn). That one choice makes my character LE.

Is there any way around this?

See my point about the originals being better, with their exploits and all? In the original version of 2, having the selected character wear boots of speed beforehand, or buffing them with haste/improved haste just before the abducting demon speaks, you could pause the game, and before the demon could freeze the would be victim, order him to walk away and open the doors from inside himself! This way, you got the good choice, you lost NO stats, and the character remained alive... Now, GIVE ME BACK THE ORIGINAL with only better graphics and cross-platform multiplayer, please!
  • DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    Mitchfork said:

@DeathKnight If you're going to do that you might as just use EEKeeper to restore your stats.

Please, not this again. A cheat is a cheat and a glitch is a glitch. And those 2 words, are entirely different, nowhere near being synonyms. Now give me back my original.-
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    I dunno... this is one of the few times alignment roleplay actually matters outside of reputation and the end of TOB, and the difference is purely cosmetic. It's kind of hard to argue that sacrificing a friend for greed is not something only an evil person would do, and its not like you are even punished for not doing the jerk move (magic resistance!). The "payoff" is most often in your favor.

As far as this "cheating or not cheating" debate is concerned... do what you want it is your game. It depends entirely on your own preference regarding the degree of roleplaying.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    @DeathKnight actually it is not a cheat but a SaveGame Editior, which is recommended by the devs (they advertise it on their launcher after all =P) if you say editing your saves is cheating, why is abusing a BUG that was never planned not cheating?
    And besides, I admit that the Hell trials can be a bit annoying, but I also think that the TRIAL part is fun, and -sorry powergamers- who the heck cares about stats in a storydriven game?

Have a nice day ^^
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    nano said:

Mitchfork said:

@DeathKnight If you're going to do that you might as just use EEKeeper to restore your stats.

Please, not this again. A cheat is a cheat and a glitch is a glitch. And those 2 words, are entirely different, nowhere near being synonyms. Now give me back my original.-
    loses 1 point of dex

I DEMAND A REFUND
    How DARE they fix a bug in the game!
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I thought people got mad at Beamdog for having too many bugs...not too few.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

I thought people got mad at Beamdog for having too many bugs...not too few.

Some people like bugs. Some people hate bugs. Some people like certain bugs but not others. I've always been fond of mantids and ants, for example, but not especially of centipedes.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think they should change this so that the character taken gets chunked. None of this rez stuff. Although I guess that'd make everyone take the good option.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Bugs are bad and should always be fixed.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    In this thread, people complaining about games they do not like, that they did not buy, and have barely played?

I'm not certain if this is the appropriate thread for such a topic.