Skip to content

BGEE success or failure

13»

Comments

• jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    Favre said:

If this is not a success, i pity the future of gaming industry. People can't turn their back to the awesomeness of Baldur's gate.

But it's all about marketing. Trent and his guys might produce a jewel. If no one hears about it, no one gonna buy it.

My point is, it has to be accessible and promoted.

I don't see why Trent don't want to send the game on Steam. It would draw so much attention. Having this game on steam would double the profit i'm sure of it.

I suspect Steam would bring another large initial expense, just a speculation. It would be great if it was on Steam or even Impulse. I never heard of the Beamdog game client until I heard of BG:EE, nobody is checking out Beamdog for sales, because they don't know it is there.

• DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2012
    Don't afraid to pre-order and cuz it will be a success. Tell your friends who love the game(but for some reason don't know about the EE) to pre-order, too.

Edit: I didn't try to advertise it or something. I am just exited about BGEE, so don't be harsh. :)
  • GridianGridian Member Posts: 50
    It may have been said in this thread already, success/failure cannot be judged at this time. All we have is an uncertein number of pre-orders over a PC gaming online store which is not the biggest of its kind (though of a very high quality).
    Whether this game will be a success or failure can only be guessed after at least 1 or 2 months post-release on ALL platforms. I do not know for certein but given the immense number of iPhones, iPads and Macs out there the apple store seems to me like the dealmaker (or dealbreaker). How big the Android store is I do not know - but I guess that it is also of a considerable size.
    Also, there is the question of how many crazy people like myself will buy BG:EE (and BG2:EE) several times on the different stores... :D
    Djimmy, I am doing my best to promote the game. I wish them all the best in success. I know a potential exists for DLC's, and that can surely help. The probably, I realize, comes into all of the expenses they have on this remake. I know this is early in the sales. They can surely count on more pc sales, Android, and I-pad sales. I am not as sure about the OSX sales.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    While i would wish to see the EE becoming successful, but many facts do show indeed that this has a high chance to suffer the fate of what is called in other terms "box office bomb"...

- Limitation to certain stores (People do not like to change their favourite game stores)

- "Without good graphic a game sucks" opinion of many recent gamers

- many old Baldur's Gate owners see no reason to buy the EE because they have the modded games or already countless of Box Sets

- People do these days in general prefer more light hearted, "play and forget" content, what does take long time to finish or is putting them into the situation to think before act... is a no-go situation for many of the recent Gaming People

Well, but i would of course be nicely surprised if EE becomes a success :)

Let's just hope for the best!
    Each and everyone of these issues is an unsubstantiated "opinion" and not fact.

Yes they apply to "SOME" gamers but by no means represent all, many or most gamers. It's like saying all people under 25 have the attenetion span of a gnat......true in some cases but not all, not most maybe not even many.
  • AlistuspalloAlistuspallo Member Posts: 13
    More PR would be good for this game I agree.

What I don't understand is this kind of useless "wth is this crap omg" -topics, that don't serve any purpose in my opinion. If you don't like this project, why not just shrug it off and don't bother with it. Simple.

That aside, I hope too for what Kaliesto mentioned earlier. More new well made DnD games with guidelines! ^^
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012

More PR would be good for this game I agree.

What I don't understand is this kind of useless "wth is this crap omg" -topics, that don't serve any purpose in my opinion. If you don't like this project, why not just shrug it off and don't bother with it. Simple.

That aside, I hope too for what Kaliesto mentioned earlier. More new well made DnD games with guidelines! ^^

I believe they call it going 'emo' or something to that effect.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    All I gotta say is if Baldur's Gate flops, the gaming market is doomed as we know it.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I just hope the larger gaming sites will pick up on the news when it gets released. I think a lot of gamers simply haven't heard about it. More publicity would be a good idea indeed, the coverage so far has been limited to dedicated RPG sites.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    well more publicity would be nice but some part of me doesnt want it so we could live without ppl whining about how hard the game is in forums, that group is probably mostly under aged still and their first rpg was DAO 2 or so button smasher.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited August 2012
    On that note, maybe we should get a subforum for game-related questions soon. When it starts selling, people will come in who've never played before and we'll get tons of questions about rolling stats, what thac0 is, but also how to kill kangaxx or Sarevok. A spoiler-free help forum would be pretty useful by then.
    I don't know if @Tanthalas can make this happen?
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I've been lurking for a few weeks on this forum following updates and have pre-ordered BGEE when it first released on Beamdog's website. Have registered on these forums today to show my support. There's probably (hopefully) a lot of people who have pre-ordered or will buy this but haven't come to the forums.

The only downside to BGEE in loss of sales that I see, is that the infinity engine games were already released on GOG already. People who have bought them on GOG probably won't buy them again.

I have all the original boxed copies and never bought them off GOG, so BGEE is a must buy for me.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Drugar

I can't make new subforums. That's probably a request that you can put in the Coomunity Support subforum.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    I bought them on GoG and still pre-ordered and will pick up copies for select family and friends as gifts, at $20 it's perfect for Birthdays and Anniversaries.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think we're forgetting an important detail. "Growth" of the game is most likely through the iOS portal and the iPad. I see that growing to become the bulk of the sales.
    As for the graphics not being modern enough, we're finding that good games>>good graphics. Hence the success of minecraft, for instance (I do not understand the allure of this game, but whatever).
    BGII has some of the most beautiful backgrounds I ever seen, I am expecting the biggest drawback on EE is the characters. Unfortunately those are things most people see, but I doubt many people that would buy this game in the first place will be turned off.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    BG series will do very well selling on the ipad. They know there market.
  • sparrow13sparrow13 Member Posts: 30
    Favre said:

Bioware is now making crap. They put no effort into their game. It's just plain bad.

Regardless of what you think about the ending, Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game. That's a fact.

As for the topic, I doubt they've set the bar too high so it's not unthinkable that they could hit it once they start allowing purchases on Mac/iOS.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    For the younger crowd, Baldur's Gate is nostalgia, too. I was giddy after pre-ordering my copy (can't get the original games to work on my laptop) and told them why I was excited. Half of them lit up and declared, "I loved that game! I used to play it with my _______ (dad, uncle, cousins, siblings)!" It made me feel old, but it made me happy, too. Baldur's Gate can be played in short bits--just let me do the thing with the gnolls, or I'll play this section of the Cloakwood. I think a large part of DAO's success was that it was billed as "the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate," and that's exactly what a lot of gamers have wanted ever since they realized they'd memorized every line in the game and played it until the discs melted. I think the game will do fine, and I think sales will be highest on the tablets.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    jhart1018 said:

I think a large part of DAO's success was that it was billed as "the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate," and that's exactly what a lot of gamers have wanted ever since they realized they'd memorized every line in the game and played it until the discs melted.

Though I have yet to figured it out how exactly DA:O is the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, if you think of it, maybe because this was the slogan of DA:O some of its fans will try BG:EE out of curiosity..
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    Just like many people bought DAO because they wanted something like Baldur's Gate. With BG coming back to the market, the buyers will come.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    Honestly people just want a good Isometric RPG. This whole idea of enhancing existing games may create a revival in that style of a party based isometric rpg. Who knows what can come of it! BG3, Planescape Torment 2, Icewind Dale 3, or something totally new.
  • SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    MDK2 HD by Beamdog/Overhaul did well, it was well reviewed. However, it was exclusive to Beamdog at the outset, but now it's on Steam. There's always room for BGEE to move into Steam later.