Skip to content

Travelling to Baldur's Gate before Durlag's Tower?

The guide I've been following says to avoid the city of Baldur's Gate until after Durlag's Tower has been cleared. Are there really any repercussions for entering BG before going to the tower?

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Nope.

Depending on your party composition, you may want to go to BG and get some good items before tackling Durlag's. The Tower is a lot harder to clear than the city.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    I can't think of any reasons not to. They're not really related at all.
  • serialthrillaserialthrilla Member Posts: 26
    that's good to know, thanks guys =)
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

The guide I've been following says to avoid the city of Baldur's Gate until after Durlag's Tower has been cleared. Are there really any repercussions for entering BG before going to the tower?

Don't pay any attention to guides. In the original game, Durlag's Tower was included in the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, so it has no relationship at all to Baldur's Gate. It was meant for players who had already beaten the game and wanted to keep playing. As such, it can be quite difficult for a low level character.

• AigleborgneAigleborgne Member Posts: 24
    As Luigirules said, Durlag's Tower is far more difficult than the city. You need to have a party level 5-6 to do it, and I would even recommend 6-8. It depends on your party composition and knowledge of the game.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I am at that point in my current playthrough. I'm going to go to Baldur's Gate and pick up some tomes and a bit of gear, *then* head off to Durlag's.

There's no doubt in my mind that Durlag's is the hardest part of BG1. Also the most fun part IMO. It's just a really good dungeon with a proper old-school feel to it.
  • XereckXereck Member Posts: 30
    Don't forget to get the quests related to Durlag's Tower in Ulgoth's Beard first :)
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    I generally do Durlag's towards the very end, as my prep for the Sarevok boss fight.