Skip to content

What gloves do you put on your Monk/Rasaad?

Ok, here is the question: there are two possible choices here: gauntlets of crushing (+4 THAC0 +4 dmg with fists) and AC bracers od defense AC 3. The first ones boost your fighting performance significantly, the second boost your AC likewise.

I don't play Monk but when I put AC3 bracers on Rasaad, his AC goes from -1 to -8 at 11th level. That's not nothing and I fear that I simply cannot affard giving him anything else and just wait for a Strength Girdle to boost his damage/thac0.

And before you ask, no, currently I don't have means to boost his AC by other means. I have a party of 6 and other items (cloak, ring of gaxx etc.) have been redistributed to other party members.

Comments

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    in the past i've put the gauntlets of crushing on my monk, but there another pair that you pick up in rasaad's personal quest that i think are the best

i had him using the shield amulet (found in the d'arnine keep). it drops his AC significantly and there are plenty of charges. there are also two cloaks of shield in the game too. using this with ilbratha (a shortsword that allows once per day use of mirror image) meant that he was very difficult to hit
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    mjs said:

in the past i've put the gauntlets of crushing on my monk, but there another pair that you pick up in rasaad's personal quest that i think are the best

i had him using the shield amulet (found in the d'arnine keep). it drops his AC significantly and there are plenty of charges. there are also two cloaks of shield in the game too. using this with ilbratha (a shortsword that allows once per day use of mirror image) meant that he was very difficult to hit

Yeah Shield Amulet is one of the best items for a Monk or Kensai, and I barely ever see Ibratha mentioned but I think it's one of the best weapons for any warrior to have (just not to have equipped).

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Just rebought the shield amulet. That seems to be the way to go even despite my primal dislike to dependency on charged items. Anyway, for now he runs with the Celestial Fury until his fists start to mean something in the harsh world of Faerun :)

Just out of curiosity - if I sell the amulet with, say, 10 charges left and then rebuy it, will it have fresh 50 again?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Lathlaer - yes, it should.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Why rebuy? Sell it to a fence and steal it. 50 charges for free.

Personally I just slap the bracers of armour on him and the Scarlet Ninjato for his offhand, a belt gives him the Strength, and he's no slouch at damage with the extra fist attacks anyway.
    Pantalion said:

Why rebuy? Sell it to a fence and steal it. 50 charges for free.

Personally I just slap the bracers of armour on him and the Scarlet Ninjato for his offhand, a belt gives him the Strength, and he's no slouch at damage with the extra fist attacks anyway.

Because money I have plenty. thieves in the party - not so much :P

I'm running a good party, can't stand Jansen and obviously Hexxat is out of the picture.

I'm a little embarrased but I never thought that you can dual-wield fists with a weapon :D

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'm no expert on this but from what I understand the AC is more important in SoA while the crushing gloves would be more useful in ToB where the enemies will clobber you no matter what your AC is.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    The bracer AC thing is a bug though. Bracers are not intended to add AC to Monks, as Monk AC is supposed to be "set" by his class AC. In other words: Gauntlets of Crushing it is.
    The question is if this bug is going to be fixed anytime soon. And if this is a bug, so is the Shield Amulet. But since he can dual wield fists with weapons, Rasaad's starting gloves seem like a very good choice for him.
    he can dual wield fists with weapons?????????
    What does that mean? like the offhand will be a weapon and the mainhand will be his fists?
    It means that when Rasaad is 11th level, with fists only he has 5/2 attacks and when I put a Celestial Fury in his off-hand, he has 7/2 attacks. Will be more if you put Scarlet Ninja-To but IMO the properties of it do not outweight power of Celestial Fury.
    so his strong-hand will still count as monk fists right?
    Judging from the damage and THAC0 he has with it, yes.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    It's worth noting that he'll have a THAC0 penalty, since he can't train Two Weapon Fighting, but with Fighter THAC0 progression, not a huge loss.
  • taottaot Member Posts: 6
    At the end of ToB, Rasaad's AC is -13 for me, with
    Level 34, Cloak of the Dark Moon +2, the Guard's ring +2, Wong Fei's Ioun stone +1, Moonlight walkers +2,

though if I cast barkskin on him, his AC lowers to -22… …so even before ToB, I would seriously consider using Gauntlets of crushing and just casting barkskin on him when needed.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    i don't remmeber name but +4 tracko +dameg with fist
  • If you dual-wield with Rasaad, eventually you will want something other than the Scarlet Ninja-to in his off hand, as he gets up to 4 unarmed main hand attacks and still has to obey the 5 attack per round cap, making SNT's speed property superfluous. Personally, I'd stick Angurvadal in his off hand if another party member doesn't need it, or The Equalizer if I have enough spare strength belts.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    isn't monks being able to dual-wield a bug though?
  • Probably.
    To be honest, I totally lost track of what is a bug and what is a feature in this game :)

But it works now, so it's good enough until next patch.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    i am currently using the bracers ac 3 and i am surprised how often i still get hit. Rasaad's armor class is -9 i think with the bracers yet opponents thac0 must be quite high b/c they keep hitting him.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Kaigen said:

Probably.

NO. not probably; *certainly* lol.

But the idea fist/CF in the offhand os excellent... though, that must destroy the Thac0 with 0 points in dual hands though.. for the end SOA game/TOB... but kuddos for the discovery @Lathlaer.. :)

...i myself tested the +4 THAC0 +4 dmg bracers... they seemed absoluely excellent at the beginning of ToB levels..i don't remember exactly the AC/thac0 number, but all i remeber they were all very good then.. ad the natural number of bare fists attacks too (!!)...

..initially, i wanted to test the gloves on Cernd, ironically..as i noticed he was affected by gloves/etc under his (G)Werewolves forms... as expected, the +4dam was excellent for Cernd transform too but.. weirdly, the +thac0 was not added too then (the +dam too)... another bug? not sure..but those gloves could be excellent for Cernd transforms so...pity right now, the +thac0 thing doesn't seem to be activated, 'casue the main problem for Cernd is really his thac0 at mid/high levels..would have been the perfect gloves for him too then..but as such, not sure too..another bug (/+4thac0 not added under his transforms -but rest ok) or not again?..not sure again.. ^^

)
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Lathlaer said:

To be honest, I totally lost track of what is a bug and what is a feature in this game :)
    But it works now, so it's good enough until next patch.

+1 :)
    ..but i try to keep tracks at least for the chars i may play with))..well, when possible enough (i just want to have the feeling things to be 'logical' lol..yeah, even in a 'fantasy game'..that's it)) ).. ))
    edited December 2013
    sunset00 said:

Kaigen said:

Probably.

NO. not probably; *certainly* lol.

But the idea fist/CF in the offhand os excellent... though, that must destroy the Thac0 with 0 points in dual hands though.. for the end SOA game/TOB... but kuddos for the discovery @Lathlaer.. :)

For Rasaad it's not that bad - his initial gloves (+2 THAC0) apply to both fists and CF and you can have this nice Cloak of Unerring Strikes (+2 to attack with off-hand weapon) to help mitigate that :)

And I totally agree with you when it comes to the logical thing in the game. In this instance, actually it makes some kind of sense. There is a lot of wuxia movies where you can see the heroes mixing swordfight with hand to hand combat :)

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I usually change the monk fists to use dagger proficiency and edit monks to be able to attain grandmastery in daggers, to simulate them improving and mastering their hand-to-hand skills. The drawback is that this seems to shift their category so fist bonus items like the gauntlets of crushing won't affect them anymore. Still, there are plenty of other useful gloves.
  • I wouldn't use CF in the off-hand just because it's only useful if it hits, and with a -8 THAC0 penalty and only one attack a round, that's not going to be particularly often. Better to use an off-hand weapon that has a good equip effect so that you benefit all the time.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Shin said:

I usually change the monk fists to use dagger proficiency and edit monks to be able to attain grandmastery in daggers, to simulate them improving and mastering their hand-to-hand skills. The drawback is that this seems to shift their category so fist bonus items like the gauntlets of crushing won't affect them anymore. Still, there are plenty of other useful gloves.

Does this change the damage type to piercing or no?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I put ones like these on him...

Gloves of the never lost fox...
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The power is in the string...
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Gauntlets of Crushing all the way. Those things are just amazing. Though having to side with a total moron to get them is less than appealing.