Skip to content

#7318 [CORE] - Druid Resistance Not Applied to Shifted Forms

EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
At level 15, Druids become 100% resistant to poison damage. If the Druid shapeshifts into another form, this resistance is no longer applied. Upon returning to the Druid's natural form, the resistance returns. I have not tested yet, but I assume that the elemental resistances Druids gain at level 18 are also affected.

Resistances from gear (and bhaalspawn choices) carry over correctly while shapeshifted. It doesn't make much sense that Druid resistances would not.

Attached is a save that demonstrates this situation. The main character is a Druid with various resistances and several shapeshift abilities. Load the save, make note of the current resistances, shift into another form and note the loss of poison resistance. Return to human form and note the return of poison resistance.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    Hopefully an oversight / bug. I can accept various possible implementations of "which resistances carry over to a shapeshifted form", but I would expect that for any implementation except "no resistances carry over to a shapeshifted form" the innate Druid resistances would carry over. In other words, it doesn't make sense that some twisted piece of metal torn from the earth and warped with fire, arcane magic, and the will of man is able to apply a bonus that a Druid can benefit from, but the bonus provided by Druid's own link to nature and earned with the Druid's own experience is lost when the Druid uses the class ability to shapeshift.

Anyway, this doesn't actually break anything or impede game progress, so I'll understand if it is rated at lowest priority or even never fixed. I'll just have to do some creative thinking to explain to myself how I'm immune to poison in human form but vulnerable to it in the form of a Fire Elemental...
    Update: I've gotten to level 18, and the Druid's elemental resistances DO carry over into other forms. The only resistance that is lost in other forms is the poison resistance.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Emptiness said:

Update: I've gotten to level 18, and the Druid's elemental resistances DO carry over into other forms. The only resistance that is lost in other forms is the poison resistance.

Most likely because the changed form also has elemental resistances.
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the Black Bear normally has any elemental resistance.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited December 2013
    Emptiness said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Black Bear normally has any elemental resistance.

It doesnt. It does!
    edited December 2013
    When I shift a L14 Great Druid with no resistances (all gear removed and under no spell effects) into Black Bear form, it has no resistances. The same is true of the Brown Bear form.

The Wolf form has these resistances: Cold 100, Electricity 50, Magic Cold 100.

For a L25 Great Druid with these base resistances: Fire 50, Cold 50, Electricity 50, Acid 30, Magic Fire 30, Magic Cold 30, Poison 100 (these resistances are from Druid class abilities and Bhaalspawn storyline choices - specifically, 30 resist in each category and the 100 poison is from Druid plus another 20 vs fire/cold/electricity from Bhaalspawn)

Black Bear: Fire 50, Cold 50, Electricity 50, Acid 30, Magic Fire 30, Magic Cold 30
    Brown Bear: Fire 50, Cold 50, Electricity 50, Acid 30, Magic Fire 30, Magic Cold 30
    Wolf: Fire 50, Cold 127, Electricity 100, Acid 30, Magic Fire 30, Magic Cold 127
    Fire Elemental: Fire 127, Cold 50, Electricity 50, Acid 30, Magic Fire 127, Magic Cold 30
    Slayer: Fire 50, Cold 50, Electricity 50, Acid 30, Magic 40, Magic Fire 30, Magic Cold 30

The only deviation from what I would expect is the fact that in each form the poison resistance is missing.

I'm assuming that the other resistances are carrying over during the shapeshift because that is the simplest explanation for what I'm seeing, but I admit that another possible explanation would be for each form to have a table set up that also grants it the same immunities that a druid of that level should have. That doesn't explain why the Bhaalspawn bonuses carry over, however, nor does it explain why the resistances carry over to slayer form (which is available to non-druids).

Opening up the L25 Great Druid in EEKeeper, I see that all of the resistances that are carrying over are implemented as Affects. The three Bhaalspawn resistances are there, 20 each, plus three sets of 10 resist each for Acid/Cold/Electricity/Fire/Magic Fire/Magic Cold (corresponding to the three times that 10 resist to each is granted as the Druid levels up). The Druid poison resist is implemented differently, however:
    Type                               Param 1  Param 2  Resource3
    Will Not Display Specified String 14017 25 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    Will Not Display Specified String 14662 25 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    Immunity Special Effect Icon 0 137 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    Immunity to Effect 0 25 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    0x00AD 100 0 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    Immunity Special Effect Icon 0 6 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    Portrait Icon 0 30 Druid Immune Poison [SPCL924]
    I'm sure that there is a good reason for Druid poison resistance to be implemented in the way that it is, but I suspect that this difference is also the reason that it is not carrying over to other forms.