Skip to content

Why do you play your alignment?

Comments

• RnRClownRnRClown Member Posts: 182
    I have found myself drawn to True Neutral in recent times. There's a fork in the road for TN and I turn off on the road towards those who lack conviction or bias, rather than the philosophical approach of a commitment to neutrality.

I find the following (spoiler tagged for tidy presentation purposes) to sync up well with my views. It is taken from easydamus.

True neutral characters are concerned with their own well-being and that of the group or organization which aids them. They may behave in a good manner to those that they consider friends and allies, but will only act maliciously against those who have tried to injure them in some way. For the rest, they do not care. They do not wish ill on those they do not know, but they also do not care when they hear of evil befalling them. Better for others to suffer the evil than the true neutral and his allies. If an ally is in need, the true neutral will aid him, out of genuine love or because he may be able to count on that ally a little more in the future. If someone else is in need, they will weigh the options of the potential rewards and dangers associated with the act. If an enemy is in need, they will ignore him or take advantage of his misfortune.

Neutral Good is another alignment I have often been drawn to. I have fluctuated between TN and NG in recent years. There's another very good summarization (again from easydamus) this time on both of these alignments, head to head.

True Neutral vs. Neutral Good

Neutral good and true neutral characters both believe that any means should be used to achieve desirable outcomes, but they disagree on exactly what types of outcomes are desirable. The neutral good character uses a variety of means to promote and further the cause of goodness, but true neutral characters are not interested in a selfless pursuit of beneficial results for others. Where neutral good characters are altruistic, true neutral characters are interested in their own affairs. True neutral characters will behave altruistically when it comes to friends, relatives, and allies, but for the most part will return the kind of treatment they receive from others. Neutral good characters, on the other hand, will behave altruistically even when dealing with others who are not friends or relatives, and may even forgive enemies that have done them grievous harm in the past (provided their enemy has truly mended his ways). True neutral characters will not extend the olive branch in such situations and may take advantage of their enemy's weakness to protect themselves from further machinations. True neutral characters follow a morality of reciprocity. Neutral good characters follow the Golden Rule.

I definitely work from a basis of reciprocity. I return the kind of treatment I receive. I hold a grudge against those who have wronged me. I look out for and aid those who do good by me. It's a much more interesting alignment - True Neutral - than I ever gave it credit for.

I find TN can work quite well for the saga of Baldur's Gate. If Charname becomes friends with Khalid and Jaheira they look into and ultimately solve the iron crisis because of that friendship. Honor thy friends. Imoen, who is NG, may take a more "golden rule" approach to many situations, again influencing Charname to appear to act heroically. In the case of Dorn, or Viconia, the whole debate over their evil backgrounds holds less sway than how both characters treat and act towards, and around Charname. Good is most definitely preferred over evil, though, and there are limits to what can be tolerated.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited December 2013
    I play good or neutral mostly. My reasons are pretty simple I just don't get the same satisfaction or enjoyment out of being evil. I don't tend to find doing evil things to be fun, at least for a long enough time to play through the entire bg saga. Im probably a little too much of a softy to realy enjoy playing evil. Most of my evil runs last a relatively short time only my evil assassin character has managed to clear the entire saga.

Also evil just doesn't get that same sense of adventure that good/neutral does and really that's one of the things that first drew me into fantasy as a kid reading books like the hobbit or watching old films I loved the sense of adventure and camaraderie and that's some thing I just don't feel when im playing evil

in some alignment based games i'm happy to be evil and on occasion ive I found it more rewarding to be evil particularly in kotor but I think that's more to do with the fact that such games failed to draw me in. Not to mention I don't realy like the jedi and that game only gives you two choices. I nearly always try at least one evil run through in most games

also I just think that bg's story functions better with a good/neutral aligned character
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    jackjack said:

Because if I pulled this crap in the real world, I'd be in prison (again) or dead.

Dude, didn't I tell you there were consequences for indecent exposure?
    Some people never learn...
    Also I need to be good lest Her Majesty the Benevolent God-Queen Ester of Cauli smites me
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013

first: @jackjack how many times must i tell you? do NOT go kicking butts for goodness, Minsc is allowed, YOU are not!! (its entirely your fault for mentioning that you have been to prison for reasons)

I regret nothing, but I take your point.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    nano said:

GemHound said:

Alignment has nothing to do with being ignorant.

Who said it did?
    @hornash said it does in his post...

Its actually really fun to play a Lawful Good Necromancer as I did in my last IWD game.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I play Chaotic Good because while I'm certainly going to help people out and generally be pleasant and stuff, the gamer in me isn't opposed to looting houses... all those gold pieces add up and who'll pass up perfectly good magical equipment lying around? Evil douchebags that thoroughly piss me off also tend to suffer a case of death and neither of these two things constitute "lawful" behaviour as far as I'm aware.

I've yet to understand Neutral Good based on the in-game descriptions both in newer and older crpg D&Ds... "believes in balance of forces but doing good won't upset the balance", say what? So -Chaotic- it is.
    hornash said:

I never feel right being a dick for the sake of it.

Yeah this is the problem with playing evil in most crpgs; basically you play dumb evil which seems to be about doing overtly mean stuff just for the sake of it and in spite of the usually obvious negative consequences.
    "I will stop asking NPCs how much XP they are worth."

LOL
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @booinyoureyes
    Background doesn't necessarily have anything to do with alignment.
  • hornashhornash Member Posts: 7
    I'm certain I never mentioned anything about ignorance but sorry if you felt offended. This is why I don't post on forums. It was just a question. I apologise if anybody read anything into my curiosity, I will keep quiet from now on and contain myself to lurking in the mod forums to find out what the talented community keep doing with the games.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Depends on the game, I suppose. "Baldur's Gate" is one of the few that allows you to roleplay a more civilized form of evil (as opposed to, say, "Planescape: Torment", which can reach a visceral level of depravity that I just can't abide), and I tend to find those kinds of narratives more interesting simply because it's the rarer story that puts villains front and center. Plus, from a gaming perspective, I can't deny there's a certain appeal in the raw power typically afforded to Evil characters, whether it's NPCs like Dorn, Hexxat, Edwin and Viconia in BG2 or the Dark Side abilities in KOTOR2.

"Mass Effect" had a different balance, because you could take every Renegade interrupt that resulted in a badass moment for Shepard (punching thugs through plate-glass windows, headbutting a krogan), while allowing her to make Paragon decisions that really counted (saving the Council, curing the genophage, making peace between the geth and the quarians, etc.)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    GemHound said:

nano said:

GemHound said:

Alignment has nothing to do with being ignorant.

Who said it did?
    hornash said it does in his post...
    No offence… but he kind of doesn't. At all. And his post is unedited so its not even as if you can claim he removed it.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    Oh. I was using it as it is used in my area, a nice way of calling someone a dick which is precisely what he said. He said that alignment has to do with people being dicks, and I responded that it doesn't. So please stop trolling me.

@booinyoureyes
    Background doesn't necessarily have anything to do with alignment.

@Schneidend what I mentioned wasn't really a "background" in terms of upbringing. The essence of Bhaal is a part of you, as is any personality defect.

@Schneidend what I mentioned wasn't really a "background" in terms of upbringing. The essence of Bhaal is a part of you, as is any personality defect.

What did you mean by "justification" for Evil Charnames, then?

What did you mean by "justification" for Evil Charnames, then?
    @Schneidend I meant in terms of the choices players make in the game and the dialogue options. As in why a "lawful evil" character would say/do this or that during a particular scene.
    I'm not talking about the justification of them *being* NE or LE, but as to why they would choose one of the options (which are admittedly limited) that the game provides.

Though I don't agree that alignments are cosmic and an ingrained part of yourself, and I think the Sarevok, Anomen and Viconia story-lines are proof that background *does* have an affect on someone's alignment. So while it isn't *necessary* for background to have an influence on alignment, it most often does. I'd say for evil alignments more so than good alignments.
    I would agree that background is a factor, but so is the cosmic aspect without which alignment would not even be a thing, and there's definitely a deeply ingrained aspect to it otherwise some extraplanar creatures wouldn't be 99% a particular alignment. With mortals, it kinda all rolls into one.
    Agreed. I wasn't referring to Celestials, Demons, etc, but to the playable races. I mean, even they have tendencies to aggregate to one alignment or the other in the worlds (Half-Orcs, Halflings)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    I prefer Chaotic Good.

As Charname I don't hold any ideals or laws in very high regard, nor do I go on a crusade to spread "good"

I do what I feel best in any given situation with a fair and benevolent moral compass. As such, I am chaotic good.

Law does not govern the need for good, nor does good need laws to exist.

I go about minding my own business, and if I can lift a child out of the gutter in the process - all the better.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

even they have tendencies to aggregate to one alignment or the other in the worlds (Half-Orcs, Halflings)

Typically Neutral Good for the former and Chaotic Evil for the latter. Damn those bloodthirsty murderous halflings.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    edited December 2013
    Chaotic evil. No, I don't go around force attacking peasants, but my charname don't take shit from anyone. He's basically a juggernaut that is constantly pumped with streams of steroids.Threaten him? He won't need to think twice about killing you. Even if it means carving his way through dozens of guards.

Want his help? You better give him damn good reward afterward. If he deems that it's not good enough, he'll extract his worth by force. You threaten to keep him confined unless if he rescue your baby? He'll go get your baby alright, but then he'll sacrifice it to a demon prince for a reward... and if he wasn't satisfied by such rewards, he'll fight the demon prince himself.

My charname bends to no one (other than forced scripts, invulnerable NPCs and NPCs that spawn instant-killing body guards, DAMN YOU ELVES).

• MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    It is very hard for me to be anything else than lawful good in games. I don't understand the point of doing the bad thing (or even worse, evil thing) if you know it is bad. If you do something that you believed is good but then turns out bad, you're still good. Everyone has some kind of inner code, i don't see how you could not be lawful since you will always judge the situation and take action according to it.

In short doing bad things make me feel bad so I don't do it.

I don't believe in evil, nobody's evil. People just make the choices that seem best. The choice might later be seen as bad by society's standards. When you talk about evil, there is intentionality but any sane person would not make a choice that can be seen as bad. The only thing that varies is the moral code (I.e. principles) which results from our experiences. Therefore, there are no evil people just misguided ones (and as a consequence harmful to society). Which is why justice is not revenge or punishment, it is (or a least should be) an instrument that helps correct these harmful behaviors while keeping the "wrong-doers" away from society (prison).
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
    It is an extreme example.Still, I don't think he was evil (since no one can be). He was either incredibly misguided or plain mad. Either way, had he been put in the appropriate institution, his actions and ideas (if you can call that pile of crap ideas) would not have harmed people and society (we did invent the concept of crime against humanity for Nazism) the way they did. He did write Mein Kampf in prison but that was clearly a sign that we was not to be released.

I fairly sure he and some people believed in the crap he wrote. As I said, vision of right or wrong can be (very heavily as you point it) distorted but they still believed they were doing the right thing.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Besides, what does he know? He's a fictional cricket.

More seriously - yeah, evil is a social construction. Look at molecules all you want, and you'll never find the Morality Particle. But, as we are social creatures, our artificial social constructions are pretty important to us.