Skip to content

Why do you play your alignment?

This is more an open question as to why people roleplay good/neutral/evil alignments.
I personally play a good alignment as, while I now they are just pixels and programs, I never feel right being a dick for the sake of it. I don't do it in real life and so I don't feel right doing it in a game. it just isn't me and i don't enjoy it.
Although the renegade path in mass effect is a lot more fun it isn't a bad guy. should any sequels be coming would people rather see a mass effect alignment system or stick with the classic model?

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Alignment has nothing to do with being ignorant.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Because if I pulled this crap in the real world, I'd be in prison (again) or dead.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    hornash said:

I personally play a good alignment as, while I now they are just pixels and programs, I never feel right being a dick for the sake of it. I don't do it in real life and so I don't feel right doing it in a game. it just isn't me and i don't enjoy it.

Goes for me too. I generally try to put myself in my character's shoes and make decisions as if it were me being faced with them. Whenever I try to do anything else it reduces my sense of immersion, and with it my enjoyment. Rather than being in the game, it starts feeling like I'm just playing around.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    I generally play the character, not the alignment. I did notice one a recent playthrough that the choices seem to have become lawful heroic to chaotic rushed.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Being a dick or a sadist doesn't equal being evil, IMO, and especially not vice versa.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I tend to construct character ideas and then choose appropriate alignments. Sometimes they're good, sometimes neutral, sometimes evil. I guess ultimately the answer would be for variety.

I initially started playing Evil-aligned characters primarily because I realised all my favourite characters (barring the odd Mazzy or Haer'Dalis) were Evil, so I might as well give in and get with the programme. There's also a certain satisfaction I get from bucking the game's expectations. It wants me to be a hero, so I deliberately play a villain, or at least an anti-hero. It made me quite happy when I finished SoA and Ellesime noted that I was a hero to Suldanesselar, 'even if my name was associated with dark deeds elsewhere'. I have no idea what triggered that: reputation of alignment, perhaps, but it brought the flicker of a twisted smile to my face.

If i play 'as I would', I usually end up Neutral Good with True Neutral leanings, but that's also because most games reward good behaviour, and I'm genre savvy enough at this point to know that. I usually do that the first time I play a WRPG (exceptions being KotOR and KotOR 2, where I went full-on Darkside from the start). My initial Wardens, Hawkes, Shepards and my original Bhaalspawn were often little more than (frequently gender-swapped) self-inserts, and I considered their problems as if I was confronting them. But after a while that gets kinda dull, and I start to prefer to create characters that are not me and take them on their own journeys.

The first time I play as myself because I want to surprise myself. I want to shed a bit of light on who I am when faced with certain choices. Is mass brainwashing superior to destruction? What level of atrocity will I justify in the name of a cause I believe in? These are the types of choices that I like to be surprised by. But once I know about them they lose some of their impact, and so I create characters that would choose one or the other, or neither and then immerse myself in that character. I wanted a Bhaalspawn who poisons groves, wears armour made of people and doesn't think twice about sacrificing their oldest companion. Like I wanted a Warden who would force a noblewoman to murder her own son, give an army of golems to a (slightly) progressive tyrant and make Alistair to sacrifice his life purely out of spite because he dropped her after becoming king, and then go insane as a result until she finally disappeared.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    I typically play Lawful Neutral or Neutral Evil (True Neutral would also work for me now that I've read some descriptions of it that define it better than BG's definition).

I play Lawful Neutral because of the clause that's "follows the law OR your own personal code of ethics." It's summed up as "the Judge" for a reason. I like that it reflects a certain arrogance in the way I play it, hence why my sorcerer is LN. He looks around him and, with his high Int and Wis, makes his judgments. I like the flexibility it gives since you define your moral code. You don't have to be kind. your moral code can be more "the strong rule." It's your decision to make because you have the highest authority. Similarly, if someone's story touches your character's heart, or you think it's unjust, then you act on it. For a character with strong convictions, you try to shape the world to your perceptions through whatever means you want.

I like Neutral Evil for its similar flexibility. I get to be a cunning "villain with good PR" as the saying goes, so I'm not pigeonholed into the evil options. You get to be a clever manipulator who makes everyone around you like you while you dig closer to your goals, but you don't have to have any qualms for doing something bad so long as it serves your aims. It's like lawful evil in that it's the intelligent evil I like.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,164
    I always play good. I respect the hero, I want to be the hero, so I always play the hero. As the OP indicated, I simply could never have fun being selfish or a jerk, so I don't go there.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    Lawful neutral...just obey da law
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Quartz said:

Well that got dark quickly.

Mea Culpa.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I like playing Good, because I like being the "hero", but there is nothing I enjoy more than being evil and go aroung Athkatla Disintegrating nobles and turning beggars to stone, using Magic Missile against the Paladins of the Order and ADHW against those Cowled Enforcers, it is pretty funny, in BG1, I tend to use Polymorph other and Otiluke's resilent Sphere, with fireballs in the middle, not to say about casting G Malison, Hold and using a Dart of Wounding :P
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Media usually forces a viewer to take the hero's side. Movies, TV series, books, comics - all usually follows the hero one way or another, and has the hero win in the end. At most, it's an anti-hero, but you very rarely get to see things from the side of the villain, despite many being interesting characters. BG gives me the option to see their side of the story, and what would happen if the hero would for once not save the world.

I play all evil alignments, with a slight preference for lawful and neutral (due to a preference for bards), but I don't make chaotic evil characters bloodthirsty psychopaths either. My chaotic evil charname thinks of himself as lawful and follows a (delusional) logic. To him, it makes sense. To the world, not so much. To Xzar, absolutely.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Good characters only exist in children's cartoons. Don't believe me? Name a truly 'good aligned' fictional character that wasn't made for children, because I seriously can't think of any... I just find them boring and unrealistic.
    edited December 2013
    Damien Vryce from Celia Friedman's Coldfire trilogy, would be my first pick. He might spend the journey on a slippery slope towards Neutrality, but I'd say at his core he was Chaotic Good.

Also, outside books, Dale Cooper of Twin Peaks fame is decidedly Good.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So I can experience the game in a whole new way.

There is something more satisfying than putting the smack down to Marl if that is what my character would do instead of powergaming the option to get more experience. Or siding with Edwin, or just watching Edwin and Dyna duke it out. Or killing the Feldposte thugs for Silke. Or my favorite, striking down Nalia's aunt (in front of her) when she insults you.

Robbing every house blind, or if I am lawful, not touching any chest that does not belong to me, even if I know it contains a bastard sword +1.

It creates better stories and better characters that I find myself more attached to if I play them a certain way and allows you to see many parts of the game you wouldn't experience otherwise.
  • hornashhornash Member Posts: 7
    Just to point out i wasn't trying to judge people i was just curious as to how people like to play the game. The Baldur's gate series doesn't tend to have many shades of grey, its either save the puppies or drown the puppies, that's more what i was getting at.
    @Eudaemonium

I've never read those novels... But Dale Cooper made me immediately think of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully... two very interesting 'good' characters, but they don't translate well to a fantasy setting.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390

Good characters only exist in children's cartoons. Don't believe me? Name a truly 'good aligned' fictional character that wasn't made for children, because I seriously can't think of any... I just find them boring and unrealistic.

Eh, there are a lot of films and novels and such that feature very strong good-aligned protagonists. Some classic examples: Les Miserables (Valjean), To Kill a Mockingbird (Atticus), The Grapes of Wrath (Tom Joad), Lord of the Flies (Ralph), Lord of the Rings (virtually everyone). These are just off the top of my head though.

Just because someone is "good," even lawful good, doesn't mean that they can't be complex or have realistic characterization and flaws.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    first: @jackjack how many times must i tell you? do NOT go kicking butts for goodness, Minsc is allowed, YOU are not!! (its entirely your fault for mentioning that you have been to prison for reasons)

i play the alignment because its a role playing game. mass effects alignment system was horrible, shepard just did what he/she wanted when she/he wanted (i used female Shepard because its Dynaheir and that's the only reason why i never play male Shepard apart from the first time I played, I'm a guy and I'm not very good at pretending to be a woman, call me crazy but its true)

in any kind of roleplaying when your evil you don't think your evil, you are still the hero of your own life, which is why when i play evil (which is rare) i set a good goal and a dark path to get to it, for example. in P&P D&D at my hobby shop i made a moon elf necromancer who was neutral evil, he saw the undead as disgusting and a weak way to power and so started to worship Talona (the disease goddess) to make a plague to infect the world to make re-animation impossible. his spells mostly dealt with Debuffs and disease.

getting rid of all undead everywhere forever, good goal. a heroes goal, but an evil way of doing it. he is still the hero in his eyes. and in terms of roleplaying he would help anyone to help further his goal (which explains the neutral bit and the necromancy explains the evil bit and yet he is still a hero in theory)

Just to name a few:

Jeffrey Sinclair and John Sheridan in Babylon 5 (also Lennier, Marcus Cole, Susan Ivanova; G'Kar definitely has an alignment change from neutral to good)
    Captain Picard in Star Trek TNG (and arguably the other captains and most of the crews, as their primary mission was exploration and peace)
    The Mason Family in Falling Skies (though, in their case, boring and unrealistic really hits home, with the exception of Ben)

I've never read those novels... But Dale Cooper made me immediately think of Fox Mulder and Dana Scully... two very interesting 'good' characters, but they don't translate well to a fantasy setting.

Coldfire is technically sci-fi, but its a very fantasy sci-fi (set on planet where humanity's darkest thoughts become reality, civilisation reduced to medieval state. Very horror/fantasy/sci-fi fusion.).
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,164

Just to name a few:

Jeffrey Sinclair and John Sheridan in Babylon 5 (also Lennier, Marcus Cole, Susan Ivanova; G'Kar definitely has an alignment change from neutral to good)
    Captain Picard in Star Trek TNG (and arguably the other captains and most of the crews, as their primary mission was exploration and peace)
    The Mason Family in Falling Skies (though, in their case, boring and unrealistic really hits home, with the exception of Ben)
    Not to mention Chuck Bartowski and Sarah Walker on Chuck. Adrian Monk on Monk. Richard Castle and Kate Beckett on Castle. Joss Carter on Person of Interest.

Those are always the characters I love most. Especially a good character with a tough dilemma or conflict of interest. Nothing is more inspiring or more beautiful than to watch a good character triumph in a tough situation.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Realistically, no one is truly good or truly evil. There's shades of grey everywhere and the superheroes and cackling villains you see in stories don't exist. But that's why we have stories, because real life is boring and complicated. We have to pay taxes and bills and work with people we hate and there's no dragon to be defeated, no quest to be done that will solve all our problems forever. We have problems with our bodies and with the way we look and with stress. So our heroes are unrealistically strong and good-looking and capable. They're brave and pure of heart and they live happily ever after. They have enough flaws to be relatable, but on the whole they're superhuman ideals we aspire to. And why not? These are stories that last, and while it's fun to bend the story around and look at it from the perspective of villains or minor characters or outsiders, there's a reason hero vs villain is so common - it works.

There's a sentiment that I see quite often on the internet even if not expressed in so many words - that adults aren't allowed to like simple heroes and simple villains. As if it's a sign of immaturity or a simple mind. To me that's just ridiculous. As humans we want to take sides and feel good about the side we picked, so simplification is present in all our entertainment. I want to cheer for Frodo and Sam and not have them suddenly turn out to be scumbags at home. In a shooting game I want something to shoot without agonizing over the moral implications of every shot. If I watch a sport I'll pick one team to cheer for even though they're basically all the same. Real life is complicated, more complicated than you can imagine... and as adults it's nice to settle down into a world where everything is laid out for you and the right choice is clear and all that's left to do is kick some ass.
    Fair enough... Maybe there is one or two interesting 'good' characters, but they're always damn hard to find.
    @nano
    You speak the truth, real life mostly sucks. But if you just wanna relax and kick ass, you can do that with any alignment... This thread is about why people choose to be neutral or evil. And I choose them because they're always more interesting to me... same reason I usually always root for the villain in movies.
    atcDave said:

Just to name a few:

Not to mention Chuck Bartowski and Sarah Walker on Chuck. Adrian Monk on Monk. Richard Castle and Kate Beckett on Castle. Joss Carter on Person of Interest.

Those are always the characters I love most. Especially a good character with a tough dilemma or conflict of interest. Nothing is more inspiring or more beautiful than to watch a good character triumph in a tough situation.
    I usually prefer the wild cards - neutral spectrum - that could go either way. (Londo Mollari is one of the greatest characters ever written to me, possibly because I have such a hard time to pinpoint his alignment. It's somewhere between Lawful Neutral and Neutral Evil, with an unsuccessful attempt to "change alignment" that still leads to redemption?!)
    But even though I generally find neutrals the most interesting, and often root for the evil ones (in tropes, I'm a sucker for tragic villains and "then let me be evil" types), I don't think good characters are "boring and unrealistic". Benjamin Sisko knowingly doing the "wrong thing for the right reasons", John Sheridan opposing his government - both are scifi counterparts of paladins; warriors with a divine prophecy and destiny - that's all but boring and adds to depth of their "lawful goodness". You could as well say that evil characters have a tendency to be flat and twodimensional at best - but that also mainly goes for children's cartoons, where all characters aren't very deep.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @TheGraveDigger Yep, I didn't mean to single you out and I probably shouldn't have quoted your post, it just reminded me of something I wanted to say in defense of "good" characters.