Skip to content

BG2EE - Shapeshifter/Cernd

SquilenatorSquilenator Member Posts: 8
Is shapeshifter fixed or at least buffed in this enhanced edition? I was wondering if i could make my main a big badass werewolf and if Cernd is usefull now.

Comments

• LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    It's still bad as before.
  • koalabobkoalabob Member Posts: 22
    Unfortunately the Shapeshifter wasn't adjusted, however, the BG2 Tweaks mod has an option to fix/improve the shapeshifter. It still won't be a front line fighter but it's a definite improvement over the vanilla version.

In defense of Cernd, I just want to say that my current playthrough is the first time I've ever used him and I'm finding him incredibly useful. I usually take Viconia and she just seems to be a healbot (albeit an awesome one) but Cernd's offensive/summon spells have really turned some battles around for me.

I'm currently going through the beholder lair with two fire elementals leading the way and with my Blade MC, Neera, and Jan happily following behind lobbing fireballs with no fear of friendly fire. It's the most fun Jan and I have had since Auntie Sara brought a badger to a chicken fight.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The thing with Cernd is that you really want to pick him up when charname is level 13. He has more health that way compared to if you pick him up at an earlier level and level him up. He will also then start out with the Greater Werewolf form. WIth the girdle of fortitude he can be a pretty effective defensive melee character in SoA.
  • ThraxxThraxx Member Posts: 67
    You're so wise elminster :o

Forever a fan.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    I really have no idea why they removed the 25 con for greater werewolf.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Actually, quite a few items now work while you're shapeshifted so yeah it's been improved (Mostly AC bonus from rings, cloaks & so on are now kept when transforming)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Shapeshifter wasn't so much useless as it was just... BLECH. It's like the Wizard Slayer of druids; it can work but it's not going to be the best option. I wish Cernd was an Avenger instead. Then he'd have awesome spells and would make more sense as a dedicated spellcaster.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013

Is shapeshifter fixed or at least buffed in this enhanced edition? I was wondering if i could make my main a big badass werewolf and if Cernd is usefull now.

you can allways cheat. and change him in something usfull like a avenger kit. i for exampel will give him 17 STR and when he get 3000000 XP will dual him into warrior and see what could be dan from such combo;)
  • SquilenatorSquilenator Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2013
    koalabob said:

Unfortunately the Shapeshifter wasn't adjusted, however, the BG2 Tweaks mod has an option to fix/improve the shapeshifter. It still won't be a front line fighter but it's a definite improvement over the vanilla version.

If i remember correctly, the BG2 Tweaks give him immunity to normal weapons or something like that, which is kinda OverPower for SoA specially at the beginning, nothing can kill you.
  • RathwellinRathwellin Member Posts: 3
    Honestly the lack of meaningful Shapeshifter fixes or tweaks is my biggest disappointment of EE.
  • fish0331fish0331 Member Posts: 197
    ^ agree
  • koalabobkoalabob Member Posts: 22
    @Squilenator I know on the readme of the BG2 Tweaks it mentions the Protection from Normal Weapons but it's not actually implemented which is a good thing as that would be OP. The BG2 Tweaks gives the normal werewolf a Str of 19, does 1d8 damage. permanent haste so he ends up with 3 attacks, and my lvl 12 Cernd has a THACO of 11 and AC of -4 when in werewolf form. I think it's 20% Magic Resistance and no regen. It's really not overpowered by any means (he's a little below my Blade in terms of physical combat) but is improved and believe me he can still die quite easily. That's for the normal version though I'm not sure how much more OP the greater form will be.

Also, it states in the BG2 Tweaks readme that you can cast spells while shapeshifted and this is also *not* implemented, which is again a good thing in my mind. Initially I was put off by the rebalancing as it looked like it was breaking things but honestly what I have is just improved enough to make it worthwhile.

The big downside of the BG2 tweaks is that it makes shapeshifting an equipable weapon, so to change I equip a paw. Normally that's fine but it means that the Staff of Arundel with it's bonus spells is useless to me as every time I shapeshift I switch weapons and lose those bonus spell slots :/
  • BronxHBronxH Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2013
    koalabob said:

The big downside of the BG2 tweaks is that it makes shapeshifting an equipable weapon, so to change I equip a paw. Normally that's fine but it means that the Staff of Arundel with it's bonus spells is useless to me as every time I shapeshift I switch weapons and lose those bonus spell slots :/

Actually the untweaked vanilla shapeshifting does the same and equips 2 paws replacing the equipped weapon (as it should I think).
    I think both Werewolf forms provide nice defensive bonuses; more resistanses or immunities would be overpowered. Combined with Druid prebuffs like Iron Skins they are excellent tanks already.
    The real problem is the crappy paw weapon they get shapeshifted (both forms get the same Paw: +2 enchantment with 1d6 Piercing dmg). I made a small tweak to improve this and found my Shapeshifter quite effective, actually he made the killing blow to Kangaxx :). http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26791/shapeshifter-paw-weapon-tweak
  • SquilenatorSquilenator Member Posts: 8
    This is nice, anything that can make shapeshifter more pleasant is worthy a try :3