Skip to content

Dice rolls mechanics – simple suggestion

Arriv87Arriv87 Member Posts: 25
edited December 2013 in Feature Requests
Hello, I would like to suggest some simple change in dice rolls mechanics. Is it possible to save max total roll automatically, not manually by clicking on the button? I suppose almost all players know the rage when they roll good stats and they hit “reroll” button accidentally. I did that not only once and I was furious. I think that auto-save of highest roll would help a lot, and it would not be that difficult to implement into mechanics of the game. Please, consider that idea, it would help maintain good mental health of many players. ;)

P.S. I’m sorry if my English is not correct. I’m not native, but I try my best.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Sometimes--particularly for warriors--you don't want the highest roll; you want the highest Strength exceptional value. Auto-saving the highest roll runs the risk of overwriting that 18/95 with an 18/01, which (for me at least) would be more frustrating than accidentally rerolling over a 92 total.
    CrevsDaak
  • Arriv87Arriv87 Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2013
    @Dee
    I think it would be possible to implement system of auto/manual save. By pressing one button you could choose if you like to save rolls manually or automatically. Than that problem would not exist. It also could be solved the other way, by implement system of “memory of 5 last rolls” so you could go back to your last 5 (or even 1 would be useful) scores.

That kind of improvement even if it would be dual auto/manual save system or memories of last rolls, would be quite easy to do by programmers. To be honest, it would help a lot… when you start a new game and you have a plan for a multi/dual class character, and you need for example 93 points (like I did last night), and you roll for over 2 hours, and you got 96… and accidently you hit reroll, it could make you really mad :P Still if you play fighter and you want to have 18/00, you could choose manual system. Of course if there would be only possibility of go back to previous rolls, than someone who hit reroll by accident could simply go back to last roll, but auto save would be more “user friendly” ;)
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Why not just use eekeeper to alter your stats as desired?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @karnor00 because you feel like cheating :D Right now I am using a F/M PC with 19/19/19/19/21/19, all cheats :D just because I am testing the beta, so I do not care :D
    edited December 2013
    @karnor00
    @CrevsDaak
    Exactly! Many players want to roll high score by themselves, and they feel like cheating when they use mods. Theoretically there is even possibility to roll 108 points (but it is ridiculously low), but most players aim for stars 90+ and they roll for certain amount of time. In that situation hitting the reroll button by accident makes people really mad :P
    edited December 2013
    Staying hours rolling is part if the game, I once rolled a 101, and it took me like two hours :P
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Now this is what I call a roll-playing game!

http://instantrimshot.com/

(This is a neat utility: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10937/utility-bg-2-ee-autoroller-v4/p1)
    CrevsDaak
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    Arriv87 said:

@karnor00
    @CrevsDaak
    Exactly! Many players want to roll high score by themselves, and they feel like cheating when they use mods. Theoretically there is even possibility to roll 108 points (but it is ridiculously low), but most players aim for stars 90+ and they roll for certain amount of time. In that situation hitting the reroll button by accident makes people really mad :P

Okay, I sort of get the idea that you are happy to roll for several hours and not feel like cheating. Presumably you feel that if you are prepared to invest that much time into rolling that you have earned the resulting high score. And to some extent there is a certain skill involved in managing to stop when that high score is achieved - i.e. you can't press too fast or you risk skipping by the highest score.

But if the roll mechanics were changed to automatically save the highest roll, rolling would turn into mindlessly smashing the reroll button as fast as you possibly can. And if you are happy with doing that, then there is an autoroller utility which already does this for you.
    moody_mage
    @karnor00
    Ok, maybe autosave is too much, it could made people mindlessly hit „reroll”. I could agree to that. Well it is just suggestion, an idea that I found to be interesting. Autosave could made things “too easy”. But what about possibility to go back to your last score?

@CrevsDaak
    CrevsDaak said:

Staying hours rolling is part if the game, I once rolled a 101, and it took me like two hours :P

Lucky bastard :D My highest roll ever was 96. I did it twice, but once I reroll it by accident.

@Mitchfork
    It's true. That is why I like when there are some pool of points to spend on stats in game. But since BG mechanics are different, most of players wants to roll as highest score as possible. I completed game using moderate character, character with as low stats as possible, but I also want to play some “powergame”.
    @Arriv87 well, mainly I think I created like 300 PC, but I only played like 35, and that is only for BG1, in BG2 I only played it thrice, but I created like 15 PC, the Jester which I rolled the 101 was one of them :P
    @CrevsDaak
    I completed BG 1 about 7-8 times, and BG 2 12-15 times. There were games that I started, and didn’t completed. So I created about 30-35 characters in total. But I spend approximately 40 minutes on creating one character (some only few minutes, but some 4-5h?)… so I spend 1 whole day of my life on rolling stats in BG?! I think, I should quit computer games… :P
    edited December 2013
    @Arriv87 :P naah, I am like half an hour, but that day I had more time. And having 3 months holydays (yeah they're holy) lets you have 3 hours just to re-roll.