Skip to content

So am I full on screwed?

Hey everything I just got in to Baldur's Gate for pc last month and thought id play BG EE before tackling BG II EE via steam

Anyway my question is I planed out my Human Fighter/Mage to Duel call in to mage at level 9 .. so Im level 9 and just to make sure I get greater whirlwind I cheated and bumped up his mage levels just to see what its going to look like ( as iv been planning this all the way in Baldurs Gate )

And then the pain starts .. I see im only getting MAGE level 20 great feats and not Fighter .. is this a bug or something?

My Fighter is still level 9 and not cross classed yet ( I did not save ) Is there a way for me to cross class him now in to Fighter/Mage and still get greater whirlwind or is that just not going to happen and iv got a gimped hero that iv invested around 140ish hours in to on Baldurs Gate 1 :c

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You can't get fighter HLAs if you're not a fighter of the approriate XP level. If you want the HLAs for both classes, you need a fighter/mage multiclass.
    Or a high level dual which isn't recommended.
  • PwnSeekerPwnSeeker Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2013
    Why would you not recommend a high level dual class? It seems that high level dual class is the only option to save my toon that or just drop trying to go for greater whirlwind .. or can you give me some more options
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Dual-classes don't get HLAs in their first class, unless they dual after the 3 Million XP mark, which is almost always a terrible idea.

This doesn't mean you're gimped, though. Far from it! Fighter->Mage is one of the most common and powerful dual-class combos. By the middle of SoA, the experience you invested into Fighter will be inconsequentially small, leaving you to level as a pure mage with the added bonus of an extra 1/2 or 1 attack, grand mastery, the ability to wield every kind of weapon, better HP, exceptional strength, and better THAC0.

Whirlwind isn't even that good. It sets your attacks per round to 10 for one round. By comparison, your fighter9->mage dual will have a natural 2.5 attacks per round with a grandmastered weapon. Toss one of the +1 attacks weapons in your off hand, and that means 4.5 attacks per round, 3.5 of which are with your main hand. Have your guy cast Improved Haste on himself, and he'll sit at 9 ApR for multiple rounds! That's on top of being able to stoneskin/Protection from Magical Weapons/Fireshield/Mirror Image/ any other buffs you can think of.
    Ohh ok I see .. so Greater Whirlwind is really a waste trying to go for it then
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    It's pretty solid for, say, a paladin wielding a two-hander. But if you're playing a dual class, don't plan to get the HLAs from the first class. You'll be powerful enough without them.
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, what @Madhax said.

The dual class is powerful enough, but the HLA you'd really want on this character is critical strike, which is mega when combined with dual wielding and improved haste. For that you want a multiclass, though, which sacrifices spellcasting to get critical strike.
    Thanks Madhax I was really getting bumbed about it lol All is better again c:
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I would say though that berserker would have been better :)...

The dual becomes a killing machine that can hit 10 apr for 30+ rounds at the end with the right equipment... With tenser transform you can also hit as if you were a fighter with your Mage levels, but I don't do that often because I like being able to insta cast a breach etc.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah don't worry about it, any kind of fighter>mage dual is super strong. Berserker doesn't really matter either because you have mage spells. It's mostly in BG1 that it's really good but you already got past that.
    I just like being able to turn on berserk and not having to worry about a whole host of status ailments that would take several spells to do and those several spells could be used for more offense etc.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah it's mostly a convenience thing. I like it too because of that even if Kensai has a teeny tiny bit more damage.
    The kensai is definitely more optimal but berserker allows for simpler gameplay without worrying about specific protections.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Berserker can wear gauntlets/bracers, though, which means a Berserker/Mage can potentially max out their APR without having to dual-class at 13 or higher (via Gauntlets of Ex. Spec). Always nice.
    edited December 2013

The kensai is definitely more optimal but berserker allows for simpler gameplay without worrying about specific protections.

I used to be in the Kensai 9 dual camp, but after trying fighter/illusionist this time I think I might have to switch camps... It just feels so much smoother throughout SOA, and I don't think I've ever missed the 2 extra damage... With Belm off hand and axe + long sword specializations I have a weapon for almost every occaision in SOA, and by the time I get to TOB I'll have either 2 pips in Scimtars for Spectral Brand or in Bastard Swords for Foebane. I was also considering points in maces for using MOD, but I figured I'd just use it with 1 or 0 pips when I really needed it. Then again there is that Electrical one in Watcher's keep that is somewhat interesting for when I need blunt damage. Once Neera got improved haste then I got it on the CHARNAME herself, it was just a meat grinder. I think I took out the shadow dragon in one round with a level 10/11 Fighter Illusionist (but I did use the Helm of Vailor for a simulacrum for that fight so I guess it was actually two super buffed characters beating it down).

If you are relatively new though, going immune to most effects while losing only ~1 damage is definitely worth it to go berserker instead of kensai.

One thing I want to point out though is that once you have PfMW, spell immunity, improved haste, and the proper magical resistance buffs, anything except for certain high level mages and liches in SCS is a joke. The only thing keeping me from chainsawing every encounter is not wanting to cheese things and buff up before every fight unless I end up reloading twice going in unbuffed. If you insist on going into boss fights unbuffed though, especially with SCS installed, you can be in for a world of pain.

BTW, project image + simulacrum + daystar is nuts against liches.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I've never bothered to play a kensai anything. I guess there's no accounting for my taste.