Skip to content

What year is it? What YEAR?!

NOTE! POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!

I just found a rather interesting thing concerning the timeline of this game. If you read Sarevok's diary (I know he wasn't evil when I found out he wrote a diary) you'll see that he has made certain moves in the years 1369 and 1370. The only problem is, according to your own journal (heroes doesn't keep diaries!) it's only 1368!

Now, I know that the general BG timeline is completely out of tune with the official Forgotten Realms timeline but shouldn't it at least make since *in-game*?

Any thoughts on the matter? I personally wouldn't mind the fact that Sarevok visited Candlekeep when you were still a young ward of Gorion, both of you unaware of the other's heritage. For me the timeline would go something like this:

Year X- Basically whenever, Bhaal finds out that he will die sometime in the future. He hatches a plan and starts impregnating women all over the realm.

Around 1330- Gorion and CHARNAME's mom are friends and occasional lovers.

Around 1340-1350- Impregnates Sarevok's mom. Meanwhile CHARMOM is being drawn into a cult of Bhaal. A few years later, she is also impregnated by B.

1348- CHARMOM gives birth to CHARNAME. Gorion is forced to kill CHARMOM and raises CHARNAME as his own child.

1358- Times of Troubles. Bhaal is stuck in whatever form he was in, is slain.

1368- Sarevok, being a few years older than CHARNAME, has started to grow more powerful and goes to Candlekeep to learn about the Bhaalspawn Prophecy. Is being met by suspicion by Gorion. Sarevok decides to investigate Gorion and his ward.

1370- As according to Sarevok's diary, BG1 takes place.

Sometime after 1370- CHARNAME and his companions go to Ulgoth's Beard, the werewolf island and Durlag's Tower. Meanwhile alot of his old friends move south for the winter. Many of them decide that the area around Amn seems like the place to be.

The reason I like this timeline is that it makes more sense. It explains how so many people you knew from BG1 can show up in BG2 and it explains how Bhaal can be a granddad in ToB. As for the age of the Bhaalspawn in general, my theory is that the blood of Bhaal both makes you mature faster and keeps you alive way past your normal lifespan. This would explain a 20-something PC even if you play as an elf and also why there are Bhaalspawn of races with a much shorter life-span (like kobolds) still around during ToB.

So, what's YOUR take on this whole mess? :D
nanolefreutMontresor_SPEudaemonium

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Makes sense to me. My personal theory:

Year X - Bhaal goes around impregnating women. Claims that he's going to die in the future and he needs to do this to restore himself, not knowing that it's true.

[spoiler=BG2 spoilers]
    I always wondered where Imoen came from. Gorion only brought one Bhaalspawn with him to Candlekeep, so was Imoen dropped off later by someone else? Maybe by Elminster or Khalid and Jaheira? Was she rescued from the same temple as charname?
    [/spoiler]
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I remember seeing a great deal of threads in the past about the timeline not quite making sense, and I believe they get it wrong more than once. Unfortunately it's all too far back to remember exactly, but I believe one writer actually admitted that they had some timeline issues.

One instance of headcanon I've seen around these parts is that Bhaal had been "planting" Bhaalspawn for some time. This would explain why they are different ages.

These days I just tune out when the game starts talking about the timeline. I know it doesn't make sense and I don't want to hear it again :)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    It's like the Zelda Timeline; it makes sense so long as you don't think about it.

@nano
    I've always wondered that too. If anyone, I'd think that Elminster would be the one to drop her off. Or maybe Gorion decided to adopt her too when they spotted a pink-haired thief trying to climb the wall to Candlekeep (because I can totally see a young Imoen doing that). We can't really say for sure if Gorion even knew the truth about Imoen. (Unless it's mentioned later in the series...? I can't remember any more details divulged with Imoen's origins...)
    nano
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @Nonnahswriter

You're right. I don't think Gorion even knew Imoen was a Bhaalspawn. Nor did Sarevok, for that matter. I think it was explained that she was too cheery to be one so no one suspected until Irenicus came along.

She probably would have been taken in as a regular orphan, which I imagine is pretty rare as far as Candlekeep goes. Imoen trying to climb the wall makes sense, or I can picture her sneaking onto a merchant cart and hiding herself under a blanket and then living in Candlekeep, swiping food from people when they aren't looking. I guess Winthrop took a liking to her eventually and let her stay at his inn.
    Nonnahswriter
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    "She can't be a Bhaalspawn, she's too happy!" That makes me laugh. Maybe it's just me, but I never trust the cheerful ones. XD
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

in ToB, I think they reveal you the name of your mother.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    @CrevsDaak - CHARMOM?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    @jackjack - Alianna.

You get a conversation with her ghost and Gorion's ghost after killing Yaga-Shura.
    jackjack
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    Can I just say that I enjoyed the Terminator reference in the title. Or does he ask for the day first?