Skip to content

Playstation 4

CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
So, I came into a bit of money and preordered the PS4. Got it on the day of release.

My initial thoughts... well, my very first thought after connecting everything was where the hell is the power button? It's hidden somewhere on a panel at the front with no indicators... I had to read the instructions to find it. It's okay; you can turn it on using the controller. Still... why? Just... why?

After that, I've played a few games. Assassin's Creed IV, Need for Speed Rivals, and Killzone Shadow Fall. Got to say though, so far I'm not in awe of anything. Just graphically I haven't seen anything significantly superior to the PS3. It just feels like compared to previous console generations, going from 8 bit to 16 bit, cartridge to CD then DVD and BluRay and HD... compared to those advances, the newest generation is just a blip offering nothing really that new or exciting. Oh, you can record yourself playing and share it online... I really couldn't give a monkey's arse about any of that. Still, it's early days; maybe something will come along that will blow me over.

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    meh, i would have gone PS4 over the xbone, but as you said there isn't much anything special. the new generation almost feels like a cash in to buy the new consoles on miss out on future console exclusive games to the new ones. i guess the slight increase in graphics would have made cross platform titles get better graphics on pc as they would have more advanced console graphics, but most games will continue in the previous generation so that won't really happen I guess. all so pointless. as the new generation came I bought my current pc instead.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I might pick up a PS4 in a couple of years (won't get an XBO, unless there are some amazing exclusives… and likely not even then). The issues is that most of the games are cross-generation, and those that aren't are not ones I'm especially excited over. I'll eventually get it for things like Final Fantasy XV, but that's a long way off.

By end of 2015 it'll likely have enough exclusives that I might want to buy one. Of course I'll be really poor in 2015, so it'll likely be even longer...
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I bought the PS4 mainly as a centerpiece. It just oozes style. The Xbone on the other hand, looks retro. And not the good kind of retro either. It's just a giant impractical block.

But yeah, we have sort of reached a technology wall. From now on, each improvement will be extremely minor compared to the earlier days. It was bound to happen though, and it's not really the developers/techy guys' fault either.

Honestly, the next step in graphics would be photo-realistic virtual 4D worlds streamed directly into your brain. (Which, btw, would be freakin' awesome.)
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    This new generation of consoles is lackluster at best. The graphics, hardware and possibilies are already long superceded by regular gaming computers. Consoles are probably going to decline into what they were during Xbox/PS2 era - dumbed down silly games for teenagers who can't afford a proper gaming rig.

If they actually -do- maintain their current share of the market, what we will be seeing is another stagnation in computer game development, simply because every single publisher will want games that work on consoles and computers, not just computers.
    Inferior consoles might actually hold computer/gaming development back, as i feel the "current" generation already has to some degree.

At the rate computer power has skyrocketed the recent years with 8-core cpu's and what have you, we might actually be looking at much shorter console lifespans, kind of like with the Wii and Wii-U.

Even the computer games of tomorrow have limited, if any, support for more than 2-4 CPU cores and there is only ONE source to blaim: Inferior consoles that FORCE developers to include old piece of shit tech, instead of tailoring their game engines to take full use of the many computers that would eat the consoles for breakfast and ask for seconds. It's a simple fact that making a game run smoothly on 8 year old tech will in no uncertain terms damage the potential of the software.

Conlusion? Consoles are evil, consoles are a menace to PC gamers and nothing but a hinderance for the future. With the release of the new consoles, we will during the next 2 years see some leaps in gaming tech, but for every year after that the consoles will be holding back the overall development.
    StuckinMudFredjo
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Look at the games your playing lol... Is deep down out yet and did you try it? The real graphic changes will come in the next year we are still in transition. If you game on pc you won't see any change because the biggest graphical change in "next gen" is just the addition phyx and was obtainable on pc...?... 3 years ago I think.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Very few games are out yet here. I was hoping for more launch titles to show off some of the abilities of the new console, but right now it's all just ports of PS3 games. Still, one nice thing about the PS4 is that it comes with a 500 GB hard drive, but it's a 2.5 inch drive and you don't have to buy a special Sony drive to upgrade it.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No backwards compatibility = no sale for me.

I'm not buying all my games again in a years time off of the PSN store like I ended up doing with many of my PS2 games on the PS3.

My money will be invested in PC's in future.
    decado said:

I'm not buying all my games again in a years time off of the PSN store like I ended up doing with many of my PS2 games on the PS3.

Yeah, that made no sense to me. Although I'm a hoarder and tend to keep all my old consoles anyway, I imagine for many it would be a big selling point.

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Learning to extract the best graphics from the new console isn't going to happen overnight at release.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I'm never excited for consoles at release as the selection of games is generally poor, the price is way too high and it's more fun once all your friends have one too. I think it's a given that the increase in graphics is going to be ever more incremental.

What interests me more than graphics, is what the power of new consoles allows you to do gameplay wise. For example it's hard to imagine the mechanics of Portal working well in PS2/Xbox days, and it's hard to imagine Prince of Persia mechanics working well in PS1/Saturn days. Sadly though, few developers seem to explore this side of things.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited December 2013
    I'm not that interested in the graphics, as PS3 graphics are already quite good. I'm more interested in how new games will utilize the increased processing power for improved AI and physics.
    Coutelier said:

decado said:

Yeah, that made no sense to me. Although I'm a hoarder and tend to keep all my old consoles anyway, I imagine for many it would be a big selling point.

It would have been nice to have backwards compatibility. If there are games on PS3 that I still want to play, I would have to keep both consoles out, which takes up space and isn't all that convenient. That being said, I have one of the original fat PS3s with backwards compatibility and I think I've played a PS2 game on it once. But the main reason for that was that while the PS3 had backwards compatibility, it didn't have memory card slots. So it made the feature all but useless unless I wanted to start a new game. I think I played PSX games on my PS2 a lot more because I could use the memory cards.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I doesn't bother me really on 360 only like 2 of my 40 games worked anyway. When it comes to play station there are emulators for every system except ps4.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited December 2013
    If you were to play two cross-generation games like Battlefield 4 in quick succession you'd notice a COLOSSAL difference in detail. Also, unless you've got a 1080p TV you're not going to notice much of a difference.

If you were to play two cross-generation games like Battlefield 4 in quick succession you'd notice a COLOSSAL difference in detail. Also, unless you've got a 1080p TV you're not going to notice much of a difference.

I do, but no titles on both systems. But like I said, it's early days and as more games come out just for the PS4 I may notice more of a difference. I also linked my PS Vita and can actually play games through that as well (you could link a PS3 to a Vita, but limited functionality; you couldn't actually play any PS3 games through it). Kind of neat, although I doubt I'll be using it very often since there's not much point to HD unless it's on a big screen.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Trust me, I was playing Battlefield 4 on my PS3, then watched my roommate play it on his PS4. Even setting aside that the PS4 version has 64-player multiplayer, the graphical difference was pretty clear even on our 720p TV.

It's not quite the same as the jump from PS2 to PS3, certainly. It's more of a jump in high-definition detail and actual computing power. More, better-looking things can be on-screen at once.
    elminster