Skip to content

Noob: Importance of Canon...

So I've tried playing BG1 many times, but I always stop and make a new character at some point (very early in the game) because I feel like I'm not "doing it right." (For example, I feel like I screwed up the character creation and I'm gonna ruin the experience in the later game, or I'm not playing with the right party. This is all probably a result of lurking on this forum too much and reading too many people's differing thoughts on the matter.) Roleplaying, though, is more important to me than hardcore gaming, but I don't want to set myself up for failure either.

My question is this: I intend to play through BGII with an imported character, of course. If I don't use the canonical party, will it effect the story to the point that I'm not getting the whole experience? I'm just not a big fan of any of the canon party members (sorry, please don't hit me). I know this is kind of a dumb question, but any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(no spoilers please... not that it needs to be said)

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    If u use the canon party, the beginning of BG 2 makes more sense, and is more significant. As a roleplayer myself, I personally cannot see how I could play BG 1 without Imoen, Khalid and Jaheira. For Minsc and Dynaheir... at least I'd rescue Dynaheir. Those are the bare minimum, otherwise I cannot justify the logic of the storyline.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    There's too much content to fit it all into one playthrough. You could come close if you tried really hard, but romancing every possible npc is going to get tricky. My opinion is that you shouldn't even try. If you "miss" something, don't worry too much about it. You can experience that another time you play. The game's replay potential is partially due to the fact that there is so much content that isn't vital to story progression. If you do try to do everything then you'll just be wearing out your own potential enjoyment of future replays.

As for the canonical party, don't sweat not using it. There are references in dialog to adventures that you had with certain companions during the time between BG and BGII, but these in no way influence your options in BGII. For example, if you didn't party with companion X in BG, and companion X mentions in BGII that the two of you shared adventures, and you respond with something along the lines of "I've never met you before in my life!" there still will be no negative impact on the BGII story or your ability to experience it.
  • SmodLvrSmodLvr Member Posts: 21
    Thank you both very much. Maybe I'll keep Jaheria, Khalid and Imoen and pick up Neera and Raasad (I like those two) and dual class Imoen as a cleric? I feel like I need one on the team.
    Imoen doesn't have the Wisdom to Dual-class into a Cleric. Jaheira is a Fighter/Druid. She can handle healing requirements. You don't need a Cleric. Healing is not as powerful in BG as in many other games where healbots can keep a party alive.

The only thing you kinda need is a thief with 100 in Find Traps. And Imoen is the best thief in the game. She is also kinda important to the plot, so whatever you do, don't drop her.

I have nothing against Rassad, but I wouldn't recommend him for ur first playthrough.

1) He is very weak in BG 1.
    2) He is an EE character, and along with Dorn, Neera and Baeloth, were not part of the original game.

I have nothing against EE characters, but they kinda change of 'feel' of the game in BG 1.
  • SmodLvrSmodLvr Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2013
    Thanks again. I really appreciate you assuaging my dumb noobish concerns.
    edited December 2013
    No worries, you're welcome. I was in ur shoes about 6 months ago, and people on this forum helped me too. :)

Regarding the discrepancy between what I said and what Emptiness said. Yes you can choose options that indicate whether you've met an NPC in BG 1, ranging from (paraphrasing) 1) Oh xxxxx! It is so good to see you! We have been through so much together! to 2) Who are you? I've never met you in my life! to 3) Didn't I kill u already! How can u be here?!.

Thus if you stretch your RP'ing a bit, then yes u can justify some other party members. (Though personally I think playing evil is always tricky from a RP-perspective.)

However, the plot is designed with the canon party in mind, hence I said things will make a bit more sense if u had the canon party, and some events at the beginning of BG 2 will be more significant.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Play however you want first time through - then you can do specific themed playthroughs after that.
    edited December 2013
    decado said:

Play however you want first time through - then you can do specific themed playthroughs after that.

@decado

I would reverse that statement :P

Use the canon party in your first playthrough, cos the story and NPC interactions (in BG 2) is 50% of the enjoyment of the Baldur's Gate saga, and thus you should make the most of it in your first playthrough.

After your first playthrough, you can use themed playthroughs with other NPC companions. The game has plenty of replayability to justice multiple playthroughs.

ps: I shud add, avoid using online guides/walkthroughs.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The actual interactions are minimal and pretty much confined to the start of BG2. I stand by my statement.

The biggest issue I can see is the massive looming unknown of the game itself - once you've finished it then it lessens the intimidation factor by a few million points.