Skip to content

Treasures in Houses

Everytime I try to get the treasures in the houses with Imonen. I see the dreaded letters "Someone has seen You and notifed the Guards"

Now here comes the Flaming Fist

What do I do to stop this to see what is in these chest?

Someone Help me on this

Thank You

Wigmonster (Stewart)

Comments

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Call them a bald virgin and kill them.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    You just need to be out of the line of sight of any neutral NPC's in the house.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    except children. They won't call the guards.
    Or run to the door! Like Forrest Gump!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    1. before opening a chest, make sure they are not in line of sight. If you see them, they see you.
    2. You can unlock a chest in sight of a person, you just can't open it.
    3. Drop spells: sleep, charm, command. Anything to knock them out if they don't seem to be moving. Patience is the key. They'll eventually fall out of sight but it may take some time.
    4. Don't linger. Once that chest has been emptied. Get out of the house. If they see the chest the guards will be summoned
    5. If the guards are summoned, don't panic, you have 2 seconds to get to the door and get out before they arrive.
    6. If the guards do show up. They need to talk to you before going hostile (and suffering a rep lost). Invisibility works, or kite them away from the door.
    7. Sleeping people tend to not wake up, so go ahead and rob them blind.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Hide in Shadows, then proceed to continue stealing everything and re-hiding until you're done and just stroll out the door.

Either that or punch the residents into unconsciousness whilst unarmed, then rob at your leisure.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2013
    Equip the Boots of Speed: I find nine times out of ten I can get out of the house between the "someone has noticed you" warning and the guard speaking which triggers the rep. loss. Then have a potion of invisibility ready just in case the guard block your exit.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The old-fashioned way was to use Algernon's Cloak to charm the inhabitants of every floor - charmed creatures are "on your side" and won't raise an alarm - and also often offer amusing dialogue or occasionally give you minor items. Of course, since the cloak was changed from unlimited charges to one, you need to manually edit it back to handle it this way.
    @Heindrich1988 No, I agree. But if you're intent on getting all the loot you could RP it as the citizens giving what aid they can spare to your reputation 20 heroic party that resolved the iron crisis, ended the bandit threats and eventually averted the war with Amn, surely making the lives of a lot of people a fair bit easier.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Shin
    I suppose... but that's really pushing it.

I like to think that being unable to random barge into and loot unmarked houses is the penalty for playing a Lawful/Good party in BG, which is compensated by cheaper merchant prices for higher reputation.

Actually for BG 1, I used a walkthrough for parts of it, and generally had a Explore all/Kill All/Loot All attitude cos I was trying to be completionist. Then I actually ran out of patience to loot random houses cos they didn't hold anything important anyway, and after a certain stage, you don't care about gold either.

In BG 2 I have played blind and I've been much more RP-strict, so I don't even go to marked houses unless Charname knew who 'Kiser, Jan Jansen etc' are, let alone random unmarked ones.
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30

Stealing is wrong. I disapprove.

Actually, my main objection is stealing with Imoen. She is Neutral GOOD, she is not the type to rob commoner's homes! A selfish nobleman or merchant, maybe? An evil tyrant/sorcerer, definitely! But not Joe the farmer/carpenter, who barely makes enough to keep his wife and kids fed, clothes on their backs and a roof over their heads, and has locked away 20 gold pieces and a greenstone ring (their wedding ring) in their family safe, all of their life savings, for a rainy day in a society with no welfare services and at the mercy of wandering armies led by Bhaalspawn!

Do I roleplay too much?

I also agree. When I am playing Lawful Good, I never steal from 'commoners'. When I play Chaotic Good, I will very rarely steal if I need the gold to purchase something that I can then use for 'the greater good' (i.e., defeat a local monster, etc.) and consider that I've provided them a service that will benefit them, for the cost of their unplanned donation.
  • nonmisainonmisai Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2013

Everytime I try to get the treasures in the houses with Imonen. I see the dreaded letters "Someone has seen You and notifed the Guards"

Now here comes the Flaming Fist

What do I do to stop this to see what is in these chest?

Someone Help me on this

Thank You

Wigmonster (Stewart)

1. See chest
    2. Open chest
    3. See the warning
    4. Take treasure
    5. Press F5 (Quicksave)
    6. Press F9 (Quickload)
    7. Nobody except yourself will remember what happened

Warning: May be considered cheating by others though.

• enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Imoen is a total klepto, from the way she is characterized in BG1NPC and the few relevent vanilla banters.
    nano said:

I figure Imoen is kind of like a kender and isn't really out to steal stuff, she just has an insatiable curiosity about what you keep in your pockets and what you have that's so important that you need to lock it in a chest. I'm sure she has every intention of returning whatever it is once she's done looking at it. It's just hard to keep track sometimes, and of course if the rest of the party wants to see it she'll gladly hand it over...

I agree with this, and would say it's like with Alora. She might be the all-around nicest and happiest NPC in the series, but still she steals stuff. As she says, she's just too curious.

• WigmonsterWigmonster Member Posts: 38
    Thank You Very Much for the Help

Wigmonster (Stewart)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

@Shin
    I suppose... but that's really pushing it.

I like to think that being unable to random barge into and loot unmarked houses is the penalty for playing a Lawful/Good party in BG, which is compensated by cheaper merchant prices for higher reputation.

Actually for BG 1, I used a walkthrough for parts of it, and generally had a Explore all/Kill All/Loot All attitude cos I was trying to be completionist. Then I actually ran out of patience to loot random houses cos they didn't hold anything important anyway, and after a certain stage, you don't care about gold either.

In BG 2 I have played blind and I've been much more RP-strict, so I don't even go to marked houses unless Charname knew who 'Kiser, Jan Jansen etc' are, let alone random unmarked ones.

Just want to point out that a lot of the best loot in the game is in random unmarked houses that are the headquarters of liches and crime syndicates in athkatla so you should explore the seedier places.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @kryptix - sounds a lot like real life.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Midget_GemsMidget_Gems Member Posts: 8
    I once got caught stealing when there was nobody in the room. I thought - that shouldn't happen. But then I realised that the sick Duke was in my inventory, so he must have called the guards. Ungrateful or what!
    That was in original BG, so don't know if BG:EE would still do that.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Oddly, your party priest (or paladin) is the best person to steal from owned containers. Sanctuary is not broken by interacting with containers or taking items.

Once your thief has kindly disarmed any traps and picked locks - get your holy folks to do the stealin'.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Mitchfork said:

You just need to be out of the line of sight of any neutral NPC's in the house.

Amazing, but I never realized that this was the reason that guards were alerted. I had just assumed that certain chests had some sort of "sensors" on them.

Anyway, to answer the original question, my solution to this issue has always been to explore the houses using only my thief, and once the guards are called, either make a quick dash for the exit or (if possible) run up a nearby flight of stairs, then hide in shadows and return downstairs to stealth past any guards.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    enneract said:

Imoen is a total klepto, from the way she is characterized in BG1NPC and the few relevent vanilla banters.

Agreed, she even admits to picking the pickets of Candlekeep's monks - people who have renounced all worldly possessions, LOL.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SharGuidesMyHand

I guess that explains why her pickpocket skill is so low then ;)
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Come to think of it, why is it there is no failure-but-not-detected option? Kind of makes pickpocket undesirable unless you know beforehand what you are potentially nabbing, and don't mind reloading if your skill is low or just killing the target.

I'm thinking it ought to function like pick lock - you either have the skill or you don't, or you have nearly enough to get a roll.