Skip to content

How do you guys play your Blades (the bard kit)

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880

I'm thinking of doing my proficiency spread like this, for my next run. (remember no RRB)

Start:

Longsword and Xbow (not an elf so I won't get the bow bonus. And Shar-teel is going to be the official party machinegun(TM)).

Level 4: Single Weapon Fighting

Level 8: Short Sword

Level 12: Two Weapon Fighting +

Level 16: Two Weapon Fighting ++

And then probably Katana at 20.

I don't think it makes any sense to spend a point on single-weapon fighting, especially if you plan to be a dual-wielder later on -- and if you're a blade, there is no point in not being a dual-wielder! Just use a buckler early on if you're not ready to dual-wield yet (for the added protection, and CON if you use Buckley's buckler).

I would advise getting +++ in two-weapon fighting as soon as possible (++ by level 8 or even 4, +++ by level 12). BG1 is much better for a blade once s/he can dual-wield (with ++ at level 4/8).

Personally, I would not put a point in crossbow or any ranged weapon, but would pick daggers or axes instead, since they both have ranged and melee versions. (Those proficiency points are precious until ~level 16.)

In BG1 the Dagger of Venom is an awesome weapon -- one of the best in the game, really -- and is available early on. In BG2 the Boomerang Dagger is easy to get early on.

As for axes, there is a returning throwing axe in BG1 (though you have to wait until you return to Candlekeep to get it). Magical (+1, non-returning) throwing axes are available in Beregost. In BG2 there are a number of excellent magical throwing axes, including Azuredge, which is amazing against Undead and easy to pick up early in the game.

Finally, I personally think that scimitar is a better choice than longsword. In BG1, it enables you to use Drizzt's blades; in BG2, you can wield Belm.

If I were to run my Blade again, I probably would do something like this:

Level 1: Axes/daggers and 2-W fighting
    Level 4: 2-W fighting
    Level 8: 2-W fighting
    Level 12: Scimitars/shortswords (for Belm/Kundane)

Alternatively, if you want to use Drizzt's amazing scimitars in BG1:

Level 1: scimitars and daggers/axes
    Level 4: 2-W fighting
    Level 8: 2-W fighting
    Level 12: 2-W fighting

Carrying daggers/axes around can be tedious in BG1, but is worth it in the long run in order to avoid waisting a proficiency point. And if you have a strong NPC (Minsc or Dorn) let them carry some of them. If you start with 18 strength, once you upgrade to 19 (via the tome) you'll be fine.

My Blade (level 16) now uses Azuredge against Undead, and slays them by the horde. The rest of the time he dual-wields Kundane and Belm. That combination has helped him be the #1 killer in my party in SoA!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    My blade is evil so no azure edge.

I did the longsword/dagger into dual wield last bgee run and wasnt thrilled.

Reason for longsword: varscona and flametongue

Crossbow: benefits stack with offensive spin, easier ammo management. I hated throwing daggers cause I had so much inventory space devoted to them.

Single weapon style: -1 ac and 19-20 crit range. Also doesnt take any inventory micromanaging when swapping between ranged and melee. This is a pure bg1 (mostly) point.

Short sword: kundane, short sword of backstabbing etc etc.

Since I won't have access to +Apr weapons until bg2 and there are no useful weapon benefits until then, I think the 'midgame' pick is solid.

On longswords continued: while they aren't a be all end all weapon, they are a solid weapon choice with plenty of options. Also looking forward to trying blackrazor+kundane
    @Dragonspear: I still think that putting a proficiency point into single weapon style is a real waste. That delays your character's ability to dual-wield effectively by 4 levels!

If you want to be able to switch between your longsword and missile weapon conveniently, a far better option is to use a buckler with darts. Darts have 3 Apr, which becomes 4 with OS. There are some great magical darts in BG1.

Alternatively, if you are committed to using crossbows with your blade for some reason (despite the far superior darts), and don't like the inconvenience of switching in a buckler when going from ranged to melee combat, I would go with 2-handed swords instead of longswords. There are 2 good magical 2H swords in BG1 (3 if you count Dorn's, but obviously only he can wield that one). And, unlike single weapon style, it is *not* a wasted proficiency if you plan to use Carsomyr (or the Silver Blade, etc.) later in the game, once your blade has UAI.

Okay, I'll stop bugging you now. :)
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I guess I should try a blade in BG2. I took one through BG1 and she felt really weak.
    I think I'm fairly set on both. Chances are I'd either go 4 and 8 DW or 8 and 12 and get shortswords in there somewhere. I have dorn for greatswords and kagain/Morgan for axes
    Korgan. Stupid auto correct

I think I'm fairly set on both. Chances are I'd either go 4 and 8 DW or 8 and 12 and get shortswords in there somewhere. I have dorn for greatswords and kagain/Morgan for axes

I would recommend DW at levels 4 and 8, since you can't get Kundane until BG2 anyway, and the longswords in BG1 are better than the shortswords. By getting two points in DW at level 8 you can enjoy some fun DW action during the last third of the game with Varscona and Flametongue!

As for crossbows, I think that they're a poor choice for blades, since they have such a low APR. Even bows would be a better choice (thought darts are best!).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    It's maddeningly expensive, but The Army Scythe gives 2 APR. Crossbows just seem so (…) right for a bard.
    nano said:

I guess I should try a blade in BG2. I took one through BG1 and she felt really weak.

They *are* weak at low levels, no way around that.

A few things can help: getting a familiar asap (for the hp boost), switching to chain mail once you're out of spells (which for low level bards will happen very often), getting a decent magical weapon asap (I liked the Dagger of Venom when I went through BG1), and only entering melee when in OS or DS (relying on thrown/missile weapons the rest of the time).

Getting ** in 2 weapon style by level 8 makes a huge difference. Once the blade has that, elven chain mail, and stoneskin (level 10), s/he will start kicking arse.

Also, it is important to take advantage of the blade's fast progression rate. His/her magic missiles, fireballs, etc., will be more powerful than a mage's or a fighter/mage's with the same amount of experience points, simply in virtue of the blade's higher level.
    While bows are definitely better. Dorn and I will use crossbows so shar-teel can hog arrows. I suppose I could do daggers again but as I said. Inventory and weight is a pain. As another poster said bards feel like they fit crossbows.

And dagger of venom et all get put in the offhand for rp reasons.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Wait, hold up, why is anyone suggesting putting 3 pips into Two Weapon Fighting? Maybe if it gave another +2 to hit for your primary hand, it might be worthwhile, but +2 to hit on one attack per round maximum (which is usually a weapon intended to improve your primary weapon anyway) is hardly a high priority pip, even with Thief THAC0.
    @Pantalion - Two APR maximum with IH, but your point stands.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, I'm tempted to try another blade because I don't think I used the last one very well.

For missile weapons, I like crossbows for thieves because they can't use longbows. Anyone who can use a longbow gets one, and anyone with poison weapon picks up a bow once we reach Baldur's Gate. Dorn is pretty good with thrown darts too though you'll have a hard time convincing him to use them.
    Pantalion said:

Wait, hold up, why is anyone suggesting putting 3 pips into Two Weapon Fighting? Maybe if it gave another +2 to hit for your primary hand, it might be worthwhile, but +2 to hit on one attack per round maximum (which is usually a weapon intended to improve your primary weapon anyway) is hardly a high priority pip, even with Thief THAC0.

You're right that it need not be a "high priority." But assuming that your blade is already proficient in the weapon(s) s/he mainly uses, then it certainly can't hurt.

I like it because I like maximizing my THAC0, and generally focus on only 2 weapon types in BG1 and early BG2.
    jackjack said:

Crossbows just seem so (…) right for a bard.

Maybe for other bards. But blades should use … blades! ;)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    @Dragonspear Hey! with RRB you don't need to put ANY pips into two weapon fighting... you get three for free!!!! Like a ranger but better. This solves the questions that @pantalion raised, which are totally legit when not using the mod
    So basically my blade is a true @jackjack of all trades, having pips in like... every weapon. All those cool weapons or situationaly useful weapons that no one in your party is proficient in??? Give them to your blade and watch him be a man for all hours.
    Fighting trolls? flame sword
    Fighting undead? mace of disruption
    etc.
    and just wait until he gets use any item. He can do EVERYTHING

yet he is still nowhere near as awesome as Elan!
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    @Booinyoureyes

Color me old fashioned, but I wanna beat it properly before I go installing mods "fixing" it. I do intend to try it again later with RRB.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm thinking it probably isn't worth going for 2 weapon fighting until BG2, where the weapons with extra bonuses are to be found.
    Fardragon said:

I'm thinking it probably isn't worth going for 2 weapon fighting until BG2, where the weapons with extra bonuses are to be found.

I disagree, since with 2 weapons your blade will have 3 apr while using OS, all with maximum damage.
    Makes for a great offhand, provided you're not obsessed with APR.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    do the playhouse quest gives you melodic chain which you can use spells as its a form of elven armor. I use two weapon fighting and as I finished the game with him I don't use protection spells anymore cuz of all the magic items I got him set up with pretty much making him immune to damage. and I love chromatic orb its freaking amazing especially at high levels due to it being basicly a death spell.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    I assume improved haste completely overrides offensive spin? As in you don't still get the to-hit and damage either?
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207

@Rajick you get the melodic chain during the initial quest from the playhouse, when you go to the planar prison! Also there is Kundane, the short sword that gives you an extra attack

You are write I completely forgot about Kundane. And the staff of air control which I love.

• abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    My blade has xbows too. In bg1 she had the army scythe (2 shots/round), which in my head represented a couple of pistol bows... She fires off one round from each then tosses them aside and draws steel to follow Dorn into the fray!
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    This thread was very helpful... my charname is a sorceress, but I plan to custom create a second main character for bg2 to travel with her. So this secondary character will be a blade, sounds fun to use.
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    abacus said:

Don't underestimate Dakkon's Zerth Blade... A bit of an AC bonus and dem extra spells... An extra magic missile, acid arrow, skull trap & stoneskin...

Having played PS:T, I refuse to wield that blade. The first time I saw it, I killed the merchant. It's enchantment shouldn't work when wielded by anyone but Dakkon.