Skip to content

Most difficult Mage Solo

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    There is an entire thread full of people having a blast with solo 75 runs. This is not really a pvp game, in my opinion.
    Edwin_Odesseiron
  • artyomartyom Member Posts: 26
    every person has their own definition of fun. I doubt anyone here is playing bg and not having. And testing your limits isnt as extreme as some make it to be. It could just mean you are reloading 10 times more often than a person who isnt testing their limits (thats all the difference between normal and insane difficulty tbh)
    Well they are no-reload runs, but I agree, I sincerely doubt many, if any people are playing BG and not enjoying it.
  • artyomartyom Member Posts: 26
    nano said:

@Alesia_BH Please forgive me for prying, but I'm deadly curious what it is you do that allows you to travel so much. And also where this surfing paradise is, though I understand if you would rather not answer. I know many people prefer their favorite spots to be kept unknown...

i'd imagine its somewhere in asia. Pricing sounds about right and it IS a paradise especially for foreigners
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Isn't ceviche south american or spanish? I would say one of those places more likely. Especially with her mention of cervesa.

@Alesia_BH I am too tethered to ejnoy that now, but what you describe appeals to me greatly. Hopefully someday i'll be able to unwind enough to partake. I've also travelled a bit, but not as much as you, and you sound like someone whom i'd love to share an evening cervesa with in a setting such as you describe. But i'd have to learn how to surf first. Take care and happy holidays.
  • Edwin_OdesseironEdwin_Odesseiron Member Posts: 226
    cLogik said:

By the way, if you truly think you're some Baldur's Gate wiz revolutionizing wizard play and breaking into unknown territory, do understand that this is a 13 year old game. If you really want a challenge and learn how to play the game well, you will participate in pvp.

"You will participate in pvp." How can I participate in something that doesn't exist? Moreover, I see that you are not a follower of my discussions, because I posted a thread entitled "Deathmatch" proposing a strictly-pvp contest.

You're view is incredibly narrow-minded. People have been playing multiplayer. Go look on the multiplayer thread and see for yourself. It isn't that simple. The server is still relatively unstable, for one. For two, people who do make "everyone welcome games" start at random points and rarely form a continuous game with the randoms that join. BG was never really created for random multiplayer match-ups (unlike games like Diablo, where it was easy to fall into a multiplayer game and play for a while , progressing your character.)

BG relies on imported characters. You don't advance your character as you play, (unless you export them at the end of EVERY game session, and import them at the start of the next one.)

Lastly.. What the hell does any of this have to do with most difficult mage solo? People like you are all about hack 'n slash, evidently. You can't grasp the finer, more subtle, intricate nature of the game where high planning, forethought and knowledge is required.

In any case, we are having two different conversations here. I am talking about a Transmuter solo and that is what this discussion is geared towards. If you want to whine about your unhappiness that people aren't playing something which the game isn't really even made for (nor caters to very well) then do it elsewhere. Your "let's spam monsters on a map to make it more difficult" is literally the worst idea I have ever heard. So stick to the topic, or see yourself from the thread. I've got no time to waste on ingrates who can't grasp simple concepts.
    And Alesia seems to have some admirers, eh? Must be because she sounds like the hyper-cool girl on paper, yes? Plays Baldur's Gate, travels, chills out and surfs.

Calm down, fools. This is a game thread. Pick up in your own time. Not only is is pathetic, it is probably harassment.

(Yes, the wench seems to have some knowledge I could benefit from. I do not wish her to be scared off these threads by slobbering "forever-alone" types.)
    booinyoureyes
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    In character or not, you sound like you have some issues to work out, Edwin.
    semiticgoddess
    I'd ask "such as?" if I wasn't so sure it would be a generic, pandering to the masses type of answer.

No, I don't believe I have any issues. I am not the one harassing others, nor straying from the topic.

And in the future, making derogatory comments like that towards someone without any explanation is the trademark of a deadbeat. It is a clearly provocative remark that seeks to draw a person into an argument.

I am only interested in discussing the topic at hand. If you are interested in an argument, seek one elsewhere.
  • cLogikcLogik Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2013

cLogik said:

By the way, if you truly think you're some Baldur's Gate wiz revolutionizing wizard play and breaking into unknown territory, do understand that this is a 13 year old game. If you really want a challenge and learn how to play the game well, you will participate in pvp.

"You will participate in pvp." How can I participate in something that doesn't exist? Moreover, I see that you are not a follower of my discussions, because I posted a thread entitled "Deathmatch" proposing a strictly-pvp contest.

You're view is incredibly narrow-minded. People have been playing multiplayer. Go look on the multiplayer thread and see for yourself. It isn't that simple. The server is still relatively unstable, for one. For two, people who do make "everyone welcome games" start at random points and rarely form a continuous game with the randoms that join. BG was never really created for random multiplayer match-ups (unlike games like Diablo, where it was easy to fall into a multiplayer game and play for a while , progressing your character.)

BG relies on imported characters. You don't advance your character as you play, (unless you export them at the end of EVERY game session, and import them at the start of the next one.)

Lastly.. What the hell does any of this have to do with most difficult mage solo? People like you are all about hack 'n slash, evidently. You can't grasp the finer, more subtle, intricate nature of the game where high planning, forethought and knowledge is required.

In any case, we are having two different conversations here. I am talking about a Transmuter solo and that is what this discussion is geared towards. If you want to whine about your unhappiness that people aren't playing something which the game isn't really even made for (nor caters to very well) then do it elsewhere. Your "let's spam monsters on a map to make it more difficult" is literally the worst idea I have ever heard. So stick to the topic, or see yourself from the thread. I've got no time to waste on ingrates who can't grasp simple concepts.
    It almost hurts me to quote your entire post, but, it must be done. First of all, I did not mean to attack you. I say that only because it appears as if you have taken serious offense and are retaliating for no reason.

Second of all, THE original post about playing a transmuter (the hardest solo mage class as you stated it) had a LOT of text backing it in such that the intent was to increase the difficulty of the game. Now I may be mislead in my translation so please, stop me if I'm wrong here. But, considering that I am accurate in this understanding, your entire point of the thread was to voice a thought on how to play this game on "maximum difficulty". Well, sir, I only decided to voice an input to show you that you were missing out on "maximum difficulty" all-together.

I find it hard to understand your comparison to Diablo?? Hack-n-slash?? Please do explain....

In the meantime, I explained to you a way to create your own maps - not summon endless fodder. How this confused you still eludes me. Again... I can give you some pre-made maps as a guideline and trial for "maximum difficulty" fights.

This is ~MY~ opinion of fun and exceeding the final battles of the game. I can clearly see now that not everyone shares these same views. If playing the game repeatedly is your idea of fun, then I honestly commend you - for the same ideals, for me, are nowhere to be found. I enjoy progression and meeting new, more difficult challenges.

With that being said, good luck to you sir.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Ah, Edwin. Perhaps you'll have admirers too, after your run. I look forward to seeing what sort of tactics you dream up with that 18 intelligence of yours. Alesia and Grond0's well-documented runs on the other forum taught me just about everything I know about soloing, so they've more than earned my admiration and respect!
    BronxHbooinyoureyessemiticgoddess
    edited December 2013
    cLogik said:

This is ~MY~ opinion of fun and exceeding the final battles of the game. I can clearly see now that not everyone shares these same views. If playing the game repeatedly is your idea of fun, then I honestly commend you - for the same ideals, for me, are nowhere to be found. I enjoy progression and meeting new, more difficult challenges.

This is the first thing of sense you've said. Yes, this is your *opinion.* Stop calling other people's ideas "silly," and saying "how can that possibly be fun" and other nonsense.

With the resurgence of this game, yes, I am having fun finding out new things and replaying it with a challenge.

And stop calling me sir.

@Nano I don't need admirers, nor do I want them. (No, me simply speaking to these sloths should be enough.) Besides, refer to my initial post about this. I doubt this "admiration" has anything to do with her aptitude at the game. Nice try, though.
  • BronxHBronxH Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2013
    nano said:

Ah, Edwin. Perhaps you'll have admirers too, after your run. I look forward to seeing what sort of tactics you dream up with that 18 intelligence of yours. Alesia and Grond0's well-documented runs on the other forum taught me just about everything I know about soloing, so they've more than earned my admiration and respect!

+1
    I always enjoyed reading her walktroughs and it is quite painful the see this wannabe Edwin guy's comments about her...

@Edwin: no solo mage type proves real challange, even with losing a powerful school they have so many other options (btw I had a tougher run with my Enchanter than with my Transmuter). If you really want a challenging caster play a solo Druid (any kit).

edited December 2013
    BronxH said:

I always enjoyed reading her walktroughs and it is quite painful the see this wannabe Edwin guy's comments about her...

Umm.. what comments, exactly?

Typical idiots like you plaguing this forum irk me greatly. Everyone else is harassing her with endless off-topic questions, and *I'M* the one making apparently bad comments towards her? Take a hike bozo, and maybe go have a comprehension exam. You're in dire need of one.

I am the only one keeping to the topic. Therefore, it can be concluded that (unlike your claims) I am the only one who respects her gaming achievements.

I'm going to quote a great person, because I feel I put it nicely in my initial statement on the matter:

And Alesia seems to have some admirers, eh? Must be because she sounds like the hyper-cool girl on paper, yes? Plays Baldur's Gate, travels, chills out and surfs.

Calm down, fools. This is a game thread. Pick up in your own time. Not only is is pathetic, it is probably harassment.

Don't worry, you're quite a lovely maiden yourself ;)
    jackjackbooinyoureyessemiticgoddess
    Yes, yes, that never gets old.
    semiticgoddess
    Heehee. You know you brought this on yourself. Someone should get you a banana, because you seem to be one short.
    booinyoureyes
    (Sigh. It's aggravation like this that will eventually cause me to fireball the entire party as they sleep. Yes indeed, everyone peaceful and quiet and then FOOM!)
  • Alesia_BHAlesia_BH Member Posts: 759
    I can't really respond to any of the commentary here without going off topic, but I feel I should write- if only in the interest of demonstrating that I haven't been "scared off" by "forever-alone types."

To the extent that I have "admirers" here it's likely because of my runs documented in the No Reload Challenge- including the only successful SCS-Ascension solo no reloads in the thread's history. I'm not an attention hound, and I have little desire for online "admirers," but I am fond of friendship. I consider everyone who has treated me with kindness -and who treats others with like kindness- my friend. I'm always happy to meet new friends.

To the extent that I have been dissuaded from regularly posting on these forums it's largely due to the "Edwins." Not the particular Edwin who was the OP of this thread, but those who tend towards incivil and ungenerous commentary- whether in the guise of character or not. Warren Buffett once said that a profitable deal isn't worth it to him if it forces him to deal with people who are unpleasant. I agree- and to my mind his statement is doubly true in recreational domains. On the Bioware forums - and in the No Reload Challenge threads in particular- we've created a warm, collegial, supportive culture where everyone is treated with kindness and respect and everyone willing to reciprocate friendship with friendship is brightly welcomed. I'll continue to remain on the Bioware forums (at home, with friends) until the culture here changes- until the "Imoens" win out over the "Edwins." It may be a long wait. I hope not.

Anyhoo. Best of luck to all the aspiring transmuters. If anyone has any specific questions about my transmuter, Alastria, I'll happily answer them (time and keyboard permitting). Aside from that, I'd prefer to be left out of this discussion going forward.

Best,

A.

Serg_BlackStriderjackjackKramerTheWeirdsemiticgoddess
    I'm in Bodhi's crypt at the moment.. And these vampires are driving me insane with their charm abilities. It ends the game immediately.

How do I defend against this (aside from polymorphing into a slime?) Are there any items against charm that a mage can use?
    jackjack
  • BronxHBronxH Member Posts: 18
    Potion of Clarity can help against it.
    nanosemiticgoddess

these vampires are driving me insane with their charm abilities.

Do tell.
    Xcidium
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong but those charms are not permanent? I find it disgusting that non permanent effects like that are automatic death. I mean, it DOES wear off. The other flag example is Maze. Of course without any protection against negative levels/damage, it wouldn't matter if you are charmed or not.
    Yeah, I really hate that it is game ending. That has always annoyed me, from vanilla BG to this day. You think the Enhanced Edition would have addressed this.

I'd happily wait out the charms if that was the case.

Another thing I notice is that charm rules do not seem to apply to the enemies. For example, any creature I charm is charmed until the duration ends OR until I hurt it/attack it. In which case, it turns against me.

There has been many times where my party member is charmed and the enemies kept attacking them. Yet the charm does not end.
    edited December 2013
    Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the vamps Edwin. Your item based immunity option is the SotM, but I'm guessing you don't have that yet. The other obvious options would be to use a Potion of Clarity or, in the alternative, to get your saves low enough to insure successful rolls. If the latter option is viable given your current resources, I'd recommend that approach since it's more economical: Potions of Clarity are comparatively rare and to my mind best reserved for emergency counters.

As a reminder, II+Blur+Potion of Stone form will take 8 off your saves (Potions of Stone form are fairly abundant). I assume you're familiar with the item based options for save reduction.

Good hunting Edwin. Go get Bodhi.

Best,

A.

FYI. Alastria had sided with Bodhi, primarily on role-playing grounds. She had a goofy personality based on Alicia Silverstone's chatacter from the movie Clueless and had mistaken Bodhi for a "gother" club-hopper who could tune her into the local nightlife. This led to some laughs in her journals and it also worked out tactically: spell casting Aran and his shortsword wielding lackeys were helpless against the piercing and magic resistant Jelly.
    jackjacknanobooinyoureyessemiticgoddess
    Alesia_BH said:

FYI. Alastria had sided with Bodhi, primarily on role-playing grounds. She had a goofy personality based on Alicia Silverstone's chatacter from the movie Clueless and had mistaken Bodhi for a "gother" club-hopper who could tune her into the local nightlife. This led to some laughs in her journals and it also worked out tactically: spell casting Aran and his shortsword wielding lackeys were helpless against the piercing and magic resistant Jelly.

Brilliant.

As for the potions, I didn't even consider them. I've now beaten Bodhi and am planning to do other quests (Trademeet, Umar Hills, etc) to grow in levels and such. I saved often enough with these charms anyway, so when I face them again in Chapter 6 with the added help, it should be fine.

By the way, did Alastria get the Staff of Magi, Robe of Vecna, etc?
    Danacm
    edited December 2013
    On Bodhi. Congrats on taking her down. Best of luck with your upcoming quests.

On potions. Look into them. Mages tend to be less reliant on potions than other builds, but that's mostly because of the Abjuration school. Transmuters stand to gain a lot from savvy use of potions. They were a huge boon to Alastria.

On Alastria's items. Alastria was restricted from using the SotM, the CoM, the RoRs, and all the items introduced by the Tactics mod (save the Preserving Boots, which she used during The Ritual encounter and then discarded after the fall of Pontifex). Everything else was fair game- including an unnerfed Robe of Vecna. (I typically nerf Vecna to -2, but I left it at -4 in Alastria's case since I figured her lack of Abjuration spells would make casting speed critical- especially in the Ascension battles.)

I suppose it's also worth noting that Alastria had two balanced user created personal items. One was called "The Super-Stylish Cloak of the Transmuting Princess." It was basically the CoP+2 combined with the Cloak of the Sewers. The other was called the "Dagger of the Tweedles" (named after her custom dove familiar, Tweedle-Deedles). That one was basically Firetooth +3, but with cold damage instead of fire. She received both items post-Underdark.

Best,

A.
    jackjack
    Interesting..

Well, a surprising discovery I've made is that Transmuters are not anywhere as weak as I first thought. Using stoneskin, Melf's Minute Meteors, a few skeleton warriors and of course, polymorph self, it is not a terrible solo class. Not to mention useful utility spells like slow, haste, and knock.

But then, any mage could use the above except the Abjurer. I'm beginning to think that for solo purposes, Abjurer just might be weakest. An Abjurer would have to get to a stupidly high level to deal with even menial encounters. As an example, I've just finished the Trademeet quests with my Transmuter, and I am wondering how on earth I would have dealt with the Rakshasa if it wasn't for Melf's Meteors. It's not a matter of lowering their magic resistance, since they have none.. The issue with them is the fact that they are immune to spells lower than level 9 (could be 8), I believe. If I was an Abjurer, I'd just have to skip them altogether, I suppose.

But all the encounters I've used Polymorph Self for thus far would be extremely difficult for an Abjurer, since they cannot learn it. The Jelly alone has proven indispensable. An Abjurer would be limited to using the protection spells (all of which have a short duration) and thus would be frequently resting to memorise them. Not to mention they'd pretty much HAVE to have contigencies on all the time (again, requiring frequent resting.)

Once they got to a high enough level, they could spam powerful summons (although any mage can do the same) or perhaps use imprisonment, but the tricky part would be getting them to that level at all. They would be restricted in so many areas and extremely vulnerable.

Solo Abjurer is probably the most difficult solo mage, I am beginning to think..
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Just out of curiosity, Edwin - are you going to Watcher's Keep? If yes, am I right that practically the only way to handle dead magic zones (or wild magic, for that matter) is the Slayer form?

As for the Rakshasa, I believe that Mordenkainen Swords are the way to go. I don't suppose it's that hard to level your mage to get 7th level slots when you play solo.
    Rakshasa actually use magical damage, which would destroy the swords. Besides, the scroll itself is first attainable post-Spellhold, after you turn into a Drow.

And yes, I'll probably venture into the keep to see how far I can get. From memory, can't you just run past the dead magic zones (casting haste and/or invisibility to improve your chances beforehand)? There may be one or two of them that you can't, though. In which case, there are other ways to get around it. Either via polymorph self before entering the zones, or Shapechange (I most certainly will not be entering the keep without that spell.)