Skip to content

New hard core Solo Challenge (No Death)

2»

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    edited December 2013

@Pantalion
    I wouldn't use familairs in the current patch(1.2). If they die, you die. Or sometimes they mess up your saved game and cause you to be dead on load...

Huh. That sort of explains how I keep dying, I figured I was low on health or something. It's a shame, since they're the best things ever. Tanking Basilisks, kiting enemies and distracting Elminster so I can skip NewbieTalk#1-5.

Loki the 6th update: Basilisks murdered, High Hedge de-fleshed, fetch quests fetch'd.... So far level 4/4/5 and wondering if I haven't put too many points into set snare to run through at least most of Durlag's.

Which reminds me, was I supposed to explore/do everything on this run? Or just get through the campaigns? Because a lot of the TotSC content isn't really very rewarding for solo play.

Edit: And just lost an hour or so of progress on the Lighthouse map thanks to my son switching my computer off. I get to redo three Sirene fights and hope I get lucky on Web saves again.
    Post edited by Pantalion on
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    edited December 2013
    I'll give it a try. I would like to introduce Vizimir - Chaotic Good Dwarfen Fighter/Thief. With a "little" (a few hours) halp of autoroller I've got 100 roll. I pick F/T because I thing sword is more powerfull then magic in BG I. With high inteligence I'll be able to use wands and scrolls.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    edited December 2013
    I'm just finished Candlekeep Coastway. Had some tough fight with Black Bears and wolf but then I met something I've never meet before here - Dread Wolf!. I was lucky that I take Imoen's Staff of Missles. 4 shots and one Wakazashis cut to kill this beast - 650xp!
    edited December 2013
    I did not, in the end, get relucky with Web saves.
    Neither did my next character. He managed to sleep a group of Sirenes, right at the same moment as one struck him with their cheap 30 round feeblemind effect. If only I'd had my familiar out...

Of course, this endless cycle of reincarnation has all driven Loki the ninth to evil, and, coincidentally, to an Imp familiar. Good luck to you Loki of the Red Shirt #9!

Update: Evil pays. Having murdered three Watcher patrols (after that, they just stopped coming) and sold all but one set of platemail to Winthrop for 1500, Loki-9 has now donated 2,300 Gold to improve his reputation back up to 12. That's 800 GP for a set of platemail (100 gold off the standard price, and, though 45 GP over what Loki would pay, available early), +1 Reputation and almost 1,500 Exp. He's well set up with his Imp-buddy to Slime tank whilst he plays Fighter for awhile with a sling and platemail.
    Post edited by Pantalion on
    Xcidium
    And Loki finally falls to a Basilisk actually targetting intelligently. By the time he dropped, his Imp had killed Firebead Elvenhair, Silke, that gnome guy, and was actually going pretty well.

Now, however, I am incredibly weary of the Sling and Robe style of a Fighter/Mage/Thief, so bring on the Cleric/Illusionist!*

Aleph is a god among gnomes, (including in stature and in "not looking like a gnome"), with an intolerable attitude that Quayle would be proud of.

His cat does a lot of the talking for him.

Since Clerics are actually much less random than any other class in BG1 (Command and Animate Dead pretty much dominate the whole game) I'm hoping to at least stave off the irritation of running through Candlekeep prologue yet again in the exact same way which involves no randomness nor variation whatsoever by.... Doing it with a mildly different looking sling wielding robe wearing ranged magic user.

* Changed to Elf Rogue appearance, sweet merciful Buddha do gnomes ever look ridiculous.
    Aleph the Gnelf update:

Just about to enter Cloakwood.

Things are going pretty well for the cosmically unlikeable gnelf.

He Animate Dead spammed his way through Nashkel mines, the sirine coasts, I think four assassin groups, and the Firewine Ogre Mages (the level 12 one did prompt an eventual restart, since he's a cheating scumbag who moves as though he has haste and hits like a freight train, Wand of Frost spam did the trick next time around).

There's actually not much that poses a threat at this point, Aleph remains invisible when resting, and Commander Kitty is pretty much permanently so, whilst he walks ahead and provides epic scouting and orders for his undead hordes. Aleph is only on the very edge of the enemies' visual ranges, lobbing his sling bullets, whilst his skeletons waste any spells and soften up the targets. Blind is overpowered in an unmodded game, and now he's just levelled up to 7 from the Bandit Camp, his army of skeletons are looking to be swinging magic swords the next time he summons.

He's been to grab the wisdom tome from Durlag's Tower, but not gone any further, since without boots of speed, the whole thing would be nightmarish, picked up Algernon's Cloak by charming the fat man to help him fight a hostile mage in the neighbouring room, thus getting the cloak without losing his awesome 19 Rep (plenty of time to lose that nabbing the other best cloak in the game...).

This means his Charisma is finally on par with that of his cat.
    Xcidium
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    i also whant axept this challenge on BG1EE for now(on BG2EE i have instal SCS and is to crazy for now;)
    20 min play random encaouter and baam skeleton archer kills me:(
    but now bust my self with my blood ferret who like rabbit in monty python slaughter basilisk slitting their throats
    Well that's it, the Gnelf loses at the final hurdle. Doppleganger assassination attempt, all the Greater Dopplegangers focus fired the dukes, killing them in a few rounds each (technically I didn't die, but between that and the game crashing, I can't exactly call it a hardcore run anymore.

I cannot see a way to reliably run that scene risk-free without being at the mercy of the AI or a saving throw for Otiluke's Sphere on a duke. Any suggestions?

edited December 2013
    Pantalion said:

Well that's it, the Gnelf loses at the final hurdle. Doppleganger assassination attempt, all the Greater Dopplegangers focus fired the dukes, killing them in a few rounds each (technically I didn't die, but between that and the game crashing, I can't exactly call it a hardcore run anymore.

I cannot see a way to reliably run that scene risk-free without being at the mercy of the AI or a saving throw for Otiluke's Sphere on a duke. Any suggestions?

can you use otiluke sphere on your sommon(i kill that sarevok once) or use trap with your thief skills. i kill them one by one running to other room once.

PS.Ferret is great has 50% pick pocket but still can take Algorn cloak and ring free movment :D
    And yes the basilisk in durlag tower kills me and start again;P
    Dzuk5 said:

Pantalion said:

can you use otiluke sphere on your sommon(i kill that sarevok once) or use trap with your thief skills. i kill them one by one running to other room once.

PS.Ferret is great has 50% pick pocket but still can take Algorn cloak and ring free movment :D
    Otiluke's on my summon wouldn't do much, alas, since I think the Dopplegangers would just retarget if it was successful, and there's even more MR/Saves to cope with than Belt.
    Animate Dead is great, but the AI simply refuses to play nice, either the skeletons cooperate and kill dopplegangers pretty quickly, or they each fight a single doppleganger, refusing any commands to split off.

Traps would actually be my go-to plan of choice (with multiple rests to ensure Trap Saturation), but unavailable with a Mage/Cleric.

For the Ranger/Cleric I'd just potion up and wade in with the Pulveriser, since full plate and slings had at that point made the R/C a walking behemoth at 3 attacks a turn, with a lot more health, a lot better armour and

I'm vaguely considering Holy Smite spam as a no friendly-fire AOE, but that robs me of my animated dead. I suppose I could bring in a few extra Summoned Monsters but compared to Skeleton Warriors they're all pretty puny, definitely not up to handling six Hasted Greater Dopplegangers. Even Greater Malaison > Glitterdust > Emotion isn't having enough impact on them to let the Flailing Fists get close to victory.

Am I missing a trick here?

In the absence of a risk free strategy, I'll probably start a straight Mage/Thief for my next run, and try to remember where you can find Stoneskins in EE. I seriously hate the ducal palace battle.
    edited December 2013
    Pantalion said:

Dzuk5 said:

Pantalion said:

Otiluke's on my summon wouldn't do much, alas, since I think the Dopplegangers would just retarget if it was successful, and there's even more MR/Saves to cope with than Belt.
    Animate Dead is great, but the AI simply refuses to play nice, either the skeletons cooperate and kill dopplegangers pretty quickly, or they each fight a single doppleganger, refusing any commands to split off.

Traps would actually be my go-to plan of choice (with multiple rests to ensure Trap Saturation), but unavailable with a Mage/Cleric.

For the Ranger/Cleric I'd just potion up and wade in with the Pulveriser, since full plate and slings had at that point made the R/C a walking behemoth at 3 attacks a turn, with a lot more health, a lot better armour and

I'm vaguely considering Holy Smite spam as a no friendly-fire AOE, but that robs me of my animated dead. I suppose I could bring in a few extra Summoned Monsters but compared to Skeleton Warriors they're all pretty puny, definitely not up to handling six Hasted Greater Dopplegangers. Even Greater Malaison > Glitterdust > Emotion isn't having enough impact on them to let the Flailing Fists get close to victory.

Am I missing a trick here?

In the absence of a risk free strategy, I'll probably start a straight Mage/Thief for my next run, and try to remember where you can find Stoneskins in EE. I seriously hate the ducal palace battle.
    stone skin in 2 places-> nerra quaest boss and at end of shandalar maze i now loking for minnor seqencer. althou im now rother should be disqualifiy becouse of my remove of XP cap my W/C/M has almoust 8 lvl and 73 HP.

good combo is at start go for 1 CON book and buy shiled +1 CON free regen;) i do it in durlag tower lafie savior;)
    im just enter baldurs gate so we see if get lacky;)
    I believe I found Minor Sequencer in the Iron Throne, either on the first group or the final mage there.
  • flamboyantflamboyant Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    i'm going to try no reload too. and by no reload i mean i wont even use quick saves, not click any load once during play-through, not on 1hp level up rolls, or if that precious stoneskin scroll learning fails( potions should lower chance of this)
    just rolled 92 gnome thief/illusionist with like 5th click on re-roll button.
    not a big fan of min / maxing stats , but the original roll already had 18 strength and dexterity, so just moved 2 points to constitution and intelligence for the ideal stats since its no reload, charisma will suck, but nothing 1 friends spell that i will buy in high hedge wont fix.
    ill play on core rules, if it gets too easy, will move to harder difficulty. selected find familiar, sleep and spook as starting spells, making first encounters not too dangerous with 2 sleep spells/ 4 with ring of wizardry on lvl 1 illusionist. later use animate dead as meat shields, and bow to kite, staff in ulgoths beard for backstab early or dagger of venom on those pesky casters. later staff of striking

i'm not even going to go to basilisks to quickly level up but progress normally- first to FAI, then beregost/high hedge, then either go south wilderness and nashkel or first have some fun with ankeghs.

yes in my last kensai/mage play-thorugh, i found minor sequencer too, very handy in aborting spell casters in these early levels.

hopefully i can make it all the way and get this character to bg 2ee.

edit: i have SCS installed with pre buffing on casters and priest and all improved battles and other nerfs with latest patch.
    ok i give up with no load game after being killd by demon in durlag tower witch throu on me dispel magic and fire boll with kills me instant 89 hp after saving throw. now i bean kild in random lokation by basilisk and now ogre mage at this rate i will start over and over this ristriction is to much sorry guys;)
  • CacophonyCacophony Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Lets give this a shot.

Thief/Cleric half-orc
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Hardcore solo reload is pretty much the only thing i am doing now. I like the fact that you die when you are careless

I have failed quite a few attempts recently :
    - FMT died on iron throne first fight. Should have brought fire protection potions with me (pillar of fire can hurt A LOT)
    - blade died by the spiders in the catacomb (easy fight but 2 poison for 5 damage/round kills you quickly)
    - The sirines are probably the worst thing : their charm is not the problem (greenstone amulet takes care of that). Don't underestimate their poison arrows. I've lost several characters trying to tackle them early on

After these failures, i decided to fully use metaknowledge for a very easy run with a solo sorceror. The run is made easy thanks to the use of invisibility, wands, and web (totally overpowered in BG1)

The story (Main steps only, i did anyway almost no side quests save for the ones giving good loot):

1- Introduction (get mandatory loot and experience)

- went straight to basilisks area (after picking the ring of wizardry in FAI). Kill all basilisks thanks to koraxx. Level up to level 5. Pick invisibility. From then travel only while being invisible (thus removing the risks of dying from random encounters)
    - Grabbed the fire wand (invisibility) in the ankheg nest
    - Grabbed ice wand in naskhel mines area.
    - Buy greenstone amulet, free action potions (or kills the ulgoth's beard guy for the ring), protection from petrification scrolls.
    - Went to durlag tower, kill both horrors with ice wand, kills the basiliks with fire wand and prot from petr. level up to 6 (melf minuscule meteor). Picks up tome of wisdom.

At this point you have made no fight and yet you have everything you need to complete the game.

2- Going to baldur's gate

- Kill Mulahey. I prefer to play him safe and to use free action potion/green stone amulet as he is rarely disrupted during spell casting.
    - Move to bandit camp. I am lazy so i go directly to the tent usign invisbility. Use free action potions/web (x2 to be sure) and slaugthered the 4 helpless guys in the tent with MMM and magic missile
    - Kill the group in front of the cloakwood mines using webs / MMM/ magic missiles. Picked the boots of speed
    - For davaevorn. Killed the horrors with ice wand. Killed davaevorn with MMM/magic missile (very easy). Mirror image/green stone amulet protects you from fireball/charm. Level up to 8 (pick stone skin)

3- end game

- do quests to pick up the important loots (tomes, ring +2, cloak of balduran)

- Kill the group on top of iron throne using webs/MMM/wand of fire

- invisibility through the catacomb (pick up tomes)

- Dukal palace fight is made extremely easy by using webs + spiders.
    Just summon 4 spiders before the fight, haste them. Start the dialog which initiates the fight. Immedialtely cast 2-3 webs (spell sequencer scroll can help you for that). Nobody can move save you (free action ring)and the spiders. Dopplegangers are slaughtered by the spiders
    - Through invisibility go to the last fight. Using potions, get immune to everything (magic resistance is quite sufficient). I did kill the mage/angelo/tazok (which cannot do anything thanks to the immunities) first and then moved to Sarevok. For sarevok, used MMM while giving him summon meatshields using the wand of summoning

Pantalionnano
    Ahhh. Finally finished with a Barbarian/Mage/Thief (I got bored of regular characters). Was an interesting playthrough, since Barbarians can't actually use Scrolls (scribe, yes, use, no), so there went my general strategy for bolstering the F/M/T's limited magical capacity. And most of the use for all those Identify scrolls I kept picking up.

In the end I just abused traps and line of sight very, very hard. I actually got lucky at the very end, I dropped a skulltrap onto Sarevok, triggering him to attack, and discovered that I could still leave the temple, at which point he followed me out and said his lines. He was pretty easy to deal with kiting around half the undercity with no friends.

Can't say there were any particularly bad fights after the two chapters were out of the way, Cloakwood was probably the worst, with the interminable dimension dooring cuss fireballing me through three walls and generally being obnoxious. Even the Ducal Palace fight went smoothly, with the four wounded doppelgangers that survived my trapspam then falling in melee against Krondar's +3 not terribleness before they could finish off Belt.

I'm just about sick enough of BG1 at this point to welcome BG2. I might go for a full party of ghosts, see if I can't grab the character quests/romance tracks just by leaving them dead and raising them periodically.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Pantalion said:

Was an interesting playthrough, since Barbarians can't actually use Scrolls (scribe, yes, use, no)

Was your INT lower than 9? If so, that's why you couldn't read the scrolls. Usually doesn't come up due to minimum stats on legit classes.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Pantalion said:

Was an interesting playthrough, since Barbarians can't actually use Scrolls (scribe, yes, use, no)

Was your INT lower than 9? If so, that's why you couldn't read the scrolls. Usually doesn't come up due to minimum stats on legit classes.
    @Bigfish: Nope, 19 in the end. Barbarians are, somewhat strangely, class restricted from using scrolls no matter their intelligence. I guess no scroll use for me until 3,000,000 Exp.

BGII is going well. I've just left the Slums for the first time to hit Watcher's Keep. Some close calls against the statues, but I've now got Foebane (dual wielding Kondar for great justice), the Ammo Belt, Potion Bag, Scroll Case and Gem Pouch. Just need to get Hexxat through her personal dungeon (permadead at all times, like the rest of my corpse train party) for the bag o' holding and my storage issues will be set.

Current level: 9/10/11. 106 HP (36 from Con, 12 from Familiar). He's actually a bit of a blender in melee whilst dual wielding, everything's so much less risky than BG:EE.