Skip to content

BG2EE create a random game

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
BGEE version: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17887/create-a-random-game-optional-no-reload-speed-game-contest-included-spoilers/p1

@Lemernis hasn't had much activity recently, so I thought I would put this here for anybody who wants to do the random roll contest. of course BG2EE just came out last week so I would expect most people to play without this for now, but it will be here if you want to show off your adventures and rolls. here are lem's rules:
the rules for how you use the generation system:

First randomly generate a 4 digit number at this this site. (updated:forgot to put in the link :)http://www.random.org/ ) To roll a four digit number put in the values for the generator thusly and click the Generate button. (1000-9999)

This four digit number determines Gender, Race, Class and Sub-class or Multi-class, according to the system's color coded chart (chart updated here).

Next, randomly generate a three digit number with the values adjusted like this, with the results again determined according to the system's chart.

The three digit number determines Alignment, Abilities, and Voice Set.

Notes:
•If there is no Sub-class or Multi-class ignore the fourth digit of the four digit number.

•A 9 for the third digit of the four digit number results in a Sorcerer, Monk, or Barbarian, two of which had no subclasses when Drone devised this system, but now we have the new sub-class kits for the Sorcerer and Monk... Anyway, you can either pick what you like from among them, or you use the dice roller linked below and roll a 1d6 with numbers 1-6 assigned to Sorcerer, Dragon Born Sorcerer, Monk, Sun Soul Monk, Dark Moon Monk, and Barbarian, respectively.

•If your Race or Class restricts an alignment re-roll via a custom die via the dice roller tool linked below or just round up. You can also use the pure dice rolling method (here) if further rolls are needed to resolve the conflict.

•The Voice Set you roll is isn't a requirement for the no-reload speed game contest. Obviously, if what you roll is a really poor fit, or another one is perfect, etc., feel free to use whichever voice you like.

with your charname randomly generated, go ahead and roll your party using this alphabetical list of party members in BG2EE:
(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm and use a D20)
1- Aerie
2- Anomen
3- Cernd
4- Dorn
5- Edwin
6- Haer'Dalis
7- Hexxat
8- Imoen/Yoshimo
9- Jaheira
10- Jan
11- Keldorn
12- Korgan
13- Mazzy
14- Minsc
15- Nalia
16- Neera
17- Rasaad
18- Sarevok (since he won't arrive until TOB you may roll a replacement character until you can pick him up in TOB)
19- Valygar
20- Viconia
21(optional) Wilson

if you do not roll Imoen or a thief, you may use her to get through the first dungeon's traps

if you want to no reload speed run like the other thread I will set up some categories:

BGEE random roll veteran: starting your character from the BG1 no reload going into BG2. I have since stopped watching the thread so I do not know who specifically beat it except @Fighting_Ferret and my cavalier, but this could be interesting

Classic
This is the basic game with the rules spelled out here. What distinguishes it from the other versions: vanilla EE (no mods) and no illegal race/class/alignments.

SCS
Same rules as 'Classic' but with one exception: you're playing with the Sword Coast Stratagems mod with at least AI Modifications installed, other components optional. Warning: Obviously this will be more difficult.

EEKeepered Classes Allowed
Same rules as 'Classic' but with one exception: EEKeepered illegal race/class/alignment combos are allowed. This just for the fun value since the random generation system can give you some pretty wild PC builds.

D6 party limit
same as classic, but also roll a D6 before rolling your party to determine how many members you will roll

long live this thread and the one before!
Post edited by ChildofBhaal599 on
Space_MasterselminsterGemHoundlelag200OgaburanCrevsDaakLemernisJuliusBorisov

Comments

• DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    You are missing out on Rasaad for the character rolls. If you include him you would need to either roll a 21 sided dice or compound Yoshimo and Imoen as the same roll and use Imoen after yoshi betrays you.

I prefer to use: http://aschool.us/random/random-pair.php
    To generate a group of 5 random NPCs to which I use. It removes names from the list as you use them ensuring all 20 characters are used every 4 cycles (not "random" but random enough)
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited November 2013

You are missing out on Rasaad for the character rolls. If you include him you would need to either roll a 21 sided dice or compound Yoshimo and Imoen as the same roll and use Imoen after yoshi betrays you.

I prefer to use: http://aschool.us/random/random-pair.php
    To generate a group of 5 random NPCs to which I use. It removes names from the list as you use them ensuring all 20 characters are used every 4 cycles (not "random" but random enough)

wow somehow I didn't realize I forgot him I will add him in. Also put Yoshimo and Imoen together as suggested.

it doesn't matter too much what you use for the generation. it is just a fun way to get this totally random group that you may otherwise never use. if we want to no reload it as we did in the other thread would also be up to the player as some of us just want to play, but if people start doing that again I can try and keep track of the records.

i also expect it to be a little while before we really see any activity here as the game just released. i certainly am not continuing my cavelier until my first game is done. after that I will probably take my previously completed random character and roll him up a BG2 party.
  • blackmamuthblackmamuth Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2013
    You are missing a NPC...

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate_2:_NPC_Rundown

On the other hand, can it be considered a spoiler/easter egg???

You are missing a NPC...

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate_2:_NPC_Rundown

On the other hand, can it be considered a spoiler/easter egg???

you mean Wilson?

if that is it, what would other people think about including that in the list? I think it would be a bad idea as it requires both Neera and Rasaad to get and would really mess you up as a joke NPC that isn't really powerful.
  • blackmamuthblackmamuth Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2013
    yes, I meant him.

dunno, could add an optional rule of rerolling if you don't want him. But since its doable, (the game has been soloed by pretty much any class) and you have an entire party to carry him, I don't see why not.
    Post edited by blackmamuth on
  • BusticationBustication Member Posts: 49
    edited December 2013
    That NPC only requires Rasaad, not Neera. Still a valid point, though this means there's an easy workaround: take Rasaad until the Easter Egg's an option, then swap.

Edit: On the challenge itself, how about adding a D6 roll to determine the number of party members allowed?
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    I'm sure you will allow people to transfer over from Lemernis's thread once they finish the BG1:EE challenge right? As well as allow people to reroll if they have 100% impossible character combinations.

That NPC only requires Rasaad, not Neera. Still a valid point, though this means there's an easy workaround: take Rasaad until the Easter Egg's an option, then swap.

Edit: On the challenge itself, how about adding a D6 roll to determine the number of party members allowed?

I was under the impression from people's posts that the secret NPC requires both Neera and Rasaad. well, I guess I will have to decide to use him or not. having a d20 is neat and easy as it is an official dice value, but the BGEE one included the secret NPC in that game when he was updated in so it would seem fair to include this NPC.

that actually sounds like an idea I could keep track of. most people would just use vanilla and I can't guarantee anybody will do that and even keep track of their run on this thread, but I can provide it just in case. the biggest point to the random roll, however, has always been to get parties that you otherwise might never use. people might roll cernd and be forced to learn how to use him or not take advantage of one of the rolled party members, which wouldn't be a good idea considering BG2 loves giving exp to each individual party member, making full parties of 6 not as slow at leveling as in BG1. I remember the random roll helped me appreciate Rasaad in BG1 despite his shortcomings :)
    GemHound said:

I'm sure you will allow people to transfer over from Lemernis's thread once they finish the BG1:EE challenge right? As well as allow people to reroll if they have 100% impossible character combinations.

that is why I included the veterans leaderboard here. I myself completed the BG1 challenge with a paladin and will continue him, so if you are carrying over from BG1 then say so in your first post and I will know that this character has already come a long way and is continuing their journey. Might help keep interest there to see people get through the entire series like that.

that brings me to wondering if I should allow veterans to reuse party members that return in BG2 or not. It seems right that we should have to reroll, but idk what others will want
    edited December 2013
    Well, I'm continuing my character from BG1:EE Victasaadi Falconsflight. I have never done a solo of BG2, so I'm dropping that part of my challenge, but I will keep the rest active.

Just loaded into the game and she had one of the new sound packs... I got... LILARCOR! :D
    GemHound said:

Well, I'm continuing my character from BG1:EE Victasaadi Falconsflight. I have never done a solo of BG2, so I'm dropping that part of my challenge, but I will keep the rest active.

Just loaded into the game and she had one of the new sound packs... I got... LILARCOR! :D

good luck :D

If your not solo mind sharing your party? :)
    edited December 2013
    @ChildofBhaal559 Here you go.

1. Haer'Dalis, Minsc, Cernd, Valygar, Keldorn

In the name of roleplay(which is a part of my challenge), this roll is null and void since Minsc got backstabbed and chunked by Victasaadi Falconsflight.

4. Korgan, Nalia, Hexxat, Valygar, Cernd

Are any of these incompatible with Hexxat? If so then impossible. (Character would not take Korgan, Hexxat, or Cernd, since Hexxat and Korgan she could see trying to kill her, and Cernd would seem boring)
    Will pick this if there are no incompatibilities.

10. Valygar, Neera, Edwin, Korgan, Cernd

Two issues here. For one thing, Neera is dead. Accidentally. Edwin would also not accept her.

13. Edwin, Nalia, Aerie, Jan, Rasaad

This one might actually be acceptable.

All umarked rolls either had doubles or previously explained problems.
    good luck to Victasaadi on her journey. I am not too surprised it took a while before we got a game going considering the game is still so new. I will be joining you as soon as my current run is finished, which is still a long time away :)
    forgot to mention, updated title because i am stupid and forget to link the site to help roll your character :(
  • LJingLJing Member Posts: 16
    Hi, I just rolled the following things: 8149 539

Female - Human - Cleric Priest of Lathander
    True Neutral -> Neutral Good, 3 Rerolls, Male 6 Voice

Team: 6,9,20,14,5
    That would make: HaerDalis, Jaheira, Viconia, Minsc, Edwin

It is a good start and if I am going to play, I will do it as a no-reload and share it as a Let's Play. I guess it would not be too long!

Well, after having Minsk and Jaheira dead in the first Irenicus Level because of Traps, I died with the main char in the second level when encountering the imps.

Now I rolled new: 8947 711
    Main Char: Female, Halforc, Clerc/Helm, True-Neutral (After rerolling), 1 Re-Roll, Female1

Team: 10, 14, 15, 8, 12
    Jan, Minsc, Nalia, Imoen/Yoshi, Korgan

Funny that I got the Clerc again. It's even more fun seeing that I am the only Clerc in the team! Helm bless! Now let's start a new one! I think I got the most easiest team for the Irenicus Dungeon.
    LJing said:

Well, after having Minsk and Jaheira dead in the first Irenicus Level because of Traps, I died with the main char in the second level when encountering the imps.

Now I rolled new: 8947 711
    Main Char: Female, Halforc, Clerc/Helm, True-Neutral (After rerolling), 1 Re-Roll, Female1

Team: 10, 14, 15, 8, 12
    Jan, Minsc, Nalia, Imoen/Yoshi, Korgan

Funny that I got the Clerc again. It's even more fun seeing that I am the only Clerc in the team! Helm bless! Now let's start a new one! I think I got the most easiest team for the Irenicus Dungeon.

i am sorry to hear, but your first team didn't even have a thief. it is all the luck of the draw here. your new team looks very thief heavy, but at least thiefs tend to be mages also in BG2 so that also provides a lot of magic power. you will be a cleric so you have divine down and then you have korgan for tanking and minsc for dps, so your new group could do a lot better. good luck to you :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Cool, thanks for making this @ChildofBhaal599. I'll be rolling a char to play during the holidays!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    This is awesome! I'm now around on the forums every three months in 3 weeks blocks because I'm back in school full time and I also work full time. During those breaks I'm concentrating on the "Let the Fates Decide" game in the hope of actually finishing it over the next couple of years. I don't even know when I'll get to try a first run of BG2EE much less a random game of it. But I love seeing this and look forward to trying a random run eventually. Thanks @ChildofBhaal599!
    ChildofBhaal599
    edited January 2014
    Hello! This will be my first update for the Random No-Reload Baldur's Gate 2 EE Game. My new Half-Orc/Cleric of Helm Hero Falconia has only one task: Survive and fulfill her destiny (once again)!

In my "Let's Play" video (english) I will fight through the chapters with my random rolled party.
    Game Mode: Classic/No Mods

Since it is a No-Reload game: Will I survive? How are the odds? Take a guess! :)

Enjoy:

This is going to be my first Update:
    - Chapter 1 finished!
    [x] not dead
    - Chapter 2
    [x] Lilarcor for Minsc received
    [x] Copper Coronet freed from slavery
    [ ] dead

Edit: Update
    Post edited by LJing on
    Ogaburan
    Lemernis said:

This is awesome! I'm now around on the forums every three months in 3 weeks blocks because I'm back in school full time and I also work full time. During those breaks I'm concentrating on the "Let the Fates Decide" game in the hope of actually finishing it over the next couple of years. I don't even know when I'll get to try a first run of BG2EE much less a random game of it. But I love seeing this and look forward to trying a random run eventually. Thanks @ChildofBhaal599!

it is good to have you back lem. I enjoyed this back in the day, so I felt it needed a revival if you weren't showing up :) i still haven't gotten around to this myself as I plan to though, as I play too many games and have yet to finish my normal EE playthrough. I will get to this eventually though.
    with my modded game finally out of the way, I want to bring back this thread. I hoped people would catch onto it like the original did for a good while, but I will track my progress as I did way back then in this thread and maybe others will join me. today I will be bringing back the character who had succeeded in the original challenge, Brandon the inquisitor, with a new randomly rolled party:

Inquisitor, Jaheira, Nalia, Valygar, Edwin, Rasaad

I get really lucky on this I think, although there are better alternatives to Nalia. I like Jaheira, Edwin has a massive spell count, Rasaad will see some real power if I can get some experience for him. only people I really wish changed is maybe Imoen and Yoshimo replacing Nalia and Anomen over Valygar for tanking, but I have the roles covered so things aren't that bad. also kind of sad is the fact that this was a chance for me to not romance Jaheira and the very first roll I got was a nine. I guess it is destiny that she stay even in my random game

since my laptop is no longer functioning that I played originally on, I had to remake the character as best I could from screenshots in the other thread. Here is the new Brandon:

it would appear metagaming is back to haunt me. to make him powerful in BG1 I really dumped away intelligence, and now I will have to pay extremely close attention to mind flayers or he will be dead fast. otherwise he is a cheesy min/maxed character who got a decent roll despite the limited rolls of the challenge, and then he got some tomes. unfortunately when I made him before keepering back his stats he actually rolled a 95 which would have allowed min/max and 11 intelligence, but he is to remain the same dim-witted inquisitor he was then I suppose. i did not turn back his health after he rerolled higher because I do not suspect others would who are doing the same as me with their past characters.

As I decided to write this he is currently still in the first dungeons, having just dealt with the portal room. i will probably quickly recruit my other potential party members as quest experience of BG2 makes it easier for a large team to get experience and I would rather not take chances. i only hope Nalia doesn't expect me to do the keep right away or at least gives me time to do the easier athkatla quests.
    JuliusBorisovlunar
    feeling attached to my character I decided to take it easy and take no chances. I got out of the dungeon with a few close calls but I got out and headed straight to gathering my crew. I got Nalia first, then Rasaad, then Valygar, and now need to get Edwin. I basically ignored quite a few quests as I focused on recruiting and wasted some time, but atm it doesn't seem like I am racing anybody anyway so I will take my time and treat it more like a simple no reload and try to get as far as I can go rather than as fast as I can. luckily Nalia seems alright with me ignoring her quest and I will get to that after I am done here in the city.
    lunar
    the first goal with my crew of 5 was to get my last companion Edwin. the thieves quest isn't too hard, but the temple did get some money out of me when I forgot the whole guild goes hostile and started getting backstabbed. it wasn't too bad, however, thank to my inquisitor's true sight. with web the boss was extremely easy and we just had to shoot down his buddies caught in the web. i also had a bit of trouble with the mage edwin wanted dead due to his golems and I was hurt already, so I had to make a quick retreat to get healing for that as well.

I honestly had more problems with Jaheira's quests, and they almost got me killed on multiple occasions. first was helping Xzar find Montaron, and the spirits cast horror on the group. my group was now severely injured, but alive. even in vanilla such spells can be game changers it seems. then there was the confusion from one of Ployer's mages, and thankfully we don't have any heavy damage dealers just yet. the spell can be really bad if you have a good weapon for your confused members to kill each other with.

all of that done Nalia finally started hurrying me to the keep. i honestly never put that quest off before so I don't know if I am actually on a time limit or not, but just in case I will likely need to hurry to help her soon or I will actually be stuck without a thief. it is also a risk, but I think I am going to try to do the planar sphere somewhat early due to the trap detecting ring in there. if i get that ring nalia will have 100 in detect traps, then potions of master thievery can open chests that she can't on her own.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Re: Monty - Xzar quest

I never have any problem with this one since discovering the "Harper necklace" - you can leave the party standing in the main room and have your thief look through all the downstairs rooms (there is one trap to find and several things to unlock for loot) - the last room has a "Harper necklace" that will make all the spirits upstairs non-hostile - empty your inventory (to make room for loot) then go upstairs (I send my thief alone with the necklace and leave the party downstairs) some decent loot can be gathered up there as well before getting the bird and going back downstairs - no one has ever gone hostile not even when looting the bookcases right in front of them - gather your party and go see Xzar - quest over...
    Wanderon said:

Re: Monty - Xzar quest

I never have any problem with this one since discovering the "Harper necklace" - you can leave the party standing in the main room and have your thief look through all the downstairs rooms (there is one trap to find and several things to unlock for loot) - the last room has a "Harper necklace" that will make all the spirits upstairs non-hostile - empty your inventory (to make room for loot) then go upstairs (I send my thief alone with the necklace and leave the party downstairs) some decent loot can be gathered up there as well before getting the bird and going back downstairs - no one has ever gone hostile not even when looting the bookcases right in front of them - gather your party and go see Xzar - quest over...
    ah yes i actually always forget about that item until the harper hold quest begins and I kill everyone there. i don't tend to loot when they are all around, but I feel like I should have because I seem to remember some good items in there. at least the battle went alright, but we were already quite hurt before it began and I did have to use a pot on Valygar. it is nice to get what exp I can in the beginning of the game but if I did die then it wouldn't have mattered I guess.