Skip to content

BGEE - Weapon creation help/understanding

I've been playing around with Near infinity creating a few weapons to have some fun with. The most recent being a dagger that allows the wielder to either teleport to a target dealing damage or to teleport to a set location and go invisible (good fun for an assassin)

The next weapon i had in mind was creating a weapon that does explosion damage similar to the arrow of detonation. I've look at the Item abilities & effects but I cannot figure out how the arrow of detonation actually explodes.

Both effects on it are damage mods, both are a preset target, and the unknown eff codes lead to other items with completely different effects.
So would anyone kindly be able to lead my in the right direction on how the "damage" effect works and how to change it between fire, lightning, acid, explosion damage etc?

Much appreciated :)

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2013
    For Arrows of Detonation, the actual explosion (graphics and area of effect) comes from the projectile (arrowex.pro). Everyone affected by the projectile is subjected to the effects on the item (two instances of opcode 12, in this case).

Damage type in opcode 12 is stored as a bit field, in the high word of the second parameter (dword at relative offset 0x8), so it can be a little bewildering. NI should hopefully abstract it well enough. The IESDP lists the composite values (the low and high words), if that's more understandable, here, for instance.
    Mangekyox
  • MangekyoxMangekyox Member Posts: 25
    I've copied the arrowex.pro and changed the area of effect to be a bit more reasonable for a melee weapon and i've also changed the weapon to a ranged ability weapon so I can apply the projectile .pro file to allow for the effect.
    Is there a way to make the new file accessible as I currently cannot see it in the list of projectiles available.

Thanks for the help, it really helped clarify a lot. Also that page on gibberlings is amazing, thank you for sharing it :) I've been on the site a bit but i've never seen it :D
    Another thought... any possibly way to restrict the damage to only hurting the targets within the area of effect?
    I tried changing the "Damage" to target all but the party but that just hurts everything on/off screen.
    Another thought... any possibly way to restrict the damage to only hurting the targets within the area of effect?
    I tried changing the "Damage" to target all but the party but that just hurts everything on/off screen.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    Mangekyox said:

Are you trying to make the explosion not affect friendly characters? I think you'll need to use EFF files for that. Replace the 2 Damage effects in the item's ranged ability with 2 Use EFF File [177] effects. Set parameters like this:
    Parameter #2: IDS File = 2 (EA.ids)
    Parameter #1: IDS Entry = 31 (NOTGOOD) or 255 (ENEMY), depending on who you want to target. NOTGOOD should affect neutrals as wells as enemies (red circle).
    Resource = new EFF file (which you will have to create).
    The 2 EFF files will each simply contain a copy of one of the original damage effects which you removed from the item's ability.

Essentially what this is doing is creating a filter of what creatures in the area of effect are going to be targeted.
    Mangekyox
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    There's a flag in the AoE section of PRO files that makes the projectile party-friendly.
    Mangekyox
    Thanks for the help both of you :)
    Appreciate the help prophet but I just took the easy way on flagged it party friendly :)
    Finally finished creating the 2h axe with explodes on contact :D
    Thanks again :)