Skip to content

Do you reach the level cap if you do pretty much just plot quests?

Wondering how many roses I will need to stop and smell.

(I'd rather not console/EEKeeper)

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    How many people are in your party? Without knowing though, I'm gonna say "probably not". I barely reach it even solo. Depends on how many things you kill too. Some quests can be solved with stealth which is quicker and safer but gets you less exp.
  • If you've got 6 people in your group, you will not reach the level cap doing just plot quests. I generally reach the cap quite late in the game, even doing all of Durlag's Tower, Isle of Balduran, and so on. You might reach the 'original' (pre-TotSC) xp cap of 89k, but won't get close to the current xp cap of 161k.
    jackjack
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    I reached the XP cap in a 6 person party without grinding or any form of exploiting, but I did do most side quests and all of TotSC. I also explored all areas almost completely.
    booinyoureyes
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    For the quickest and easiest "rose smelling", start alone and stay alone (or if necessary, in pairs). High exp monsters (Basilisks, Sirines, Flesh Golems) all have strategies that actually make them easier to deal with than more common (but at low levels absurdly dangerous) enemies like wolves. With five Flesh Golems, seven lesser basilisks, nine sirines and two greater basilisks you're looking at around 50,000 Exp.

50,000 Exp you don't have to share brings you up to level 6 or 7 for any single class character. Now you've passed the level 6 threshhold every NPC you bring into your party will start at level 6, not at level 1, netting you five levels for five character's worth of Exp for free - potentially around 200,000 Exp.

From there, you're a third of the way to the cap and you've not touched any quests at all.
    kaffekoppenelminster
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    I do everything and generally get about 1.2 - 1.5 million between the entire party, so around 2-300,000 (probably on the lower side of that).

Of course, you can just go into random maps and grind encounters to get unlimited EXP, but plot-wise you're definitely not getting close to 161k. Pantalion's suggestion is the way to go if you don't want to bother with side quests.
  • AigleborgneAigleborgne Member Posts: 24
    It is a lot of meta-gaming although !
    I did this in the past with basilisks. Running to naskhel circus, buying a scroll of protection from petrification (or was it in high edge?). Then, cleaning all lesser and greater basilisks with arrows or darts (depending on my class). In less than one hour, I was level 5-6 and without any reloads (it just need a bit of running from any encounter).
    This is very efficient, but feels like kinda cheating, and it makes the game too easy.

I wouldn't recommend this tactic if you want to really enjoy the game as it was designed.
    If you want to fill the gap to xp cap, I suggest you to go in Durlag's Tower before last chapter. In my knowledge, it's the most efficient way to gain massive experience while still beeing very fun. Best ratio time spent/experience and without any cheese/exploit. Of course, it's not an easy dungeon either :)
    Werewolf's isle comes second.
    Pantalion said:

For the quickest and easiest "rose smelling", start alone and stay alone (or if necessary, in pairs). High exp monsters (Basilisks, Sirines, Flesh Golems) all have strategies that actually make them easier to deal with than more common (but at low levels absurdly dangerous) enemies like wolves. With five Flesh Golems, seven lesser basilisks, nine sirines and two greater basilisks you're looking at around 50,000 Exp.

50,000 Exp you don't have to share brings you up to level 6 or 7 for any single class character. Now you've passed the level 6 threshhold every NPC you bring into your party will start at level 6, not at level 1, netting you five levels for five character's worth of Exp for free - potentially around 200,000 Exp.

From there, you're a third of the way to the cap and you've not touched any quests at all.

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I usually use a six character party. I'm pretty much a completionist, but I don't harvest experience above and beyond what's basically available. And I typically go just a little over the cap. Around 180-190K for my PC.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I did a very quick calculation and I believe Durlag's gave me around 300k xp total last time (not counting the Beard part). Actually, all of TotSC gives quite good XP per time spent.