Skip to content

BGEE dialog selection recommendation

davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
edited December 2013 in iPad (Archive)
Is it possible at some point to copy KOTOR's UI for selecting dialog options, which is wonderful on the iPad? KOTOR has the numbers corresponding to the dialog options in the top right of the screen in sizes that are easily clickable. Selecting the proper dialog option has to be really deliberate as of now, so I make sure to quicksave before each dialog to recover from mispresses.

Still, the update is wonderful. This is one of the few remaining tweaks that would make a big impact.
Post edited by Cuv on
BeridelTuranteIllustair

Comments

• IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I agree with the OP. KOTOR-iPad's common-sense solution to the iPad selection problem is great.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    BG:EE also has the numbers :P, even the vanilla did :P, so I don't think this should be improved.
    Also, I haven't played KotOR much, but it uses the same engine that KotOR 2, and it does nit have very good dialog interface after all, you can't even see what you have answered or what they've said before, it sucks when compared to the one used in BG:EE, which is even better than the one the vanilla had.
    BTW, I played KotOR2:TSL almost a hundred times, so, no, I like it a lot.
    And I will be complicated, very complicated AND unnecessary, since you can increase/change the font.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    edited December 2013
    It sounds like you probably haven't played KOTOR on iPad.

On iPad, large, finger-sized circles numbered 1-N are displayed on the screen, and the player presses the number that corresponds to which option they want to choose.

This is different from BG-iPad, which just has you finger-mouse-click the option, but fingers do not have the same precision as a mouse-click.
    Post edited by Iecerint on
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Before commenting here, people should try to learn how KOTOR handles dialog options on the iPad.

I searched for some images online but there aren't many. Finally I found a review that has one:

http://arcadesushi.com/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-review/

Check the second gameplay image. Look at the numbers in the top right corner. They took a shot of the first dialog that actually explains how it works.

BG does not have what we are talking about. Stop referring to the PC version of KOTOR because it is clear in the OP that I am talking about the iOS port!
    Iecerint
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I agree that KOTOR on iPad had a much better system for picking reply dialogue options. It's very easy to pick the wrong reply in BGEE, and though it's a small problem, I think it's one worth addressing in a future patch.
    Iecerint
    @lecerint no, I didn't even knew there was a version of KotOR for iPad, I'm going to search for it so I can play it.

@davemo there was no need to be so offensive, and you didn't clarified what port you were referring to, also, you are being aggressive, which is against the forums rules. And I still thinking BG does not need that, you can't be blind enough to make a mistake, and don't even say anything about "big fingers", as my hand is a little bit shorter than the iPad (not the mini), so I know about making mistakes, but the dialog options have a big font anyway.
    And stop being aggressive, it is AWFUL.
    As I said, "which is wonderful on the iPad". Likewise, the first reply to the original post explicitly mentioned the iPad.

Many people have posted about problems selecting dialogue options. I am far from alone in this. I suspect that everyone who has played KOTOR on the iPad will agree that it is a better design for dialog options.

I'm not sure what the "blind" comment is supposed to mean apart from you perhaps sounding like a hypocrite claiming that I am aggressive while it sounds like you are the one name-calling. If you consider aggressive me saying that you should understand a post before disagreeing, please accept my apology.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Seen the screenshot. Wow, that's a whole lot better. It takes a bit of pint-point accuracy in BGEE from someone on ipad mini. And I miss KotOR hehe
    davemo
    edited December 2013
    Um, maybe I can help, by giving a sneak peek.
    And @Dee could tell you how he deals with trolls.
    Have a good day.
    Also, mentioning is not pointing out, name dropping is not being aggressive and I am not cured of my madness.
    It was just a misunderstanding, I'm pretty sure he didn't mean to be offensive at all. The "before commenting" is an FYI for all, and not specifically targeted at anyone. Let's all chill out for a second, shall we? :-)

Besides, KotOR dialogue buttons look awesome. I no longer have to be extra careful on selecting dialogue each and every time - while tolerable, it could use some improvement definitely. I'm on iPad Mini that's why.
    Trolls? My post was a useful contribution to this forum. So if there is a troll in this thread, it isn't me.
  • oskargargasoskargargas Member Posts: 14
    It looks like there is perfect example of one in this topic. Ups... I probably fed him right now. /ignore_mod_on

Back to the topic. Such number buttons would be great! I have small hands and still I have problems hitting desired dialog options. I rarely do mistakes but always think about them.
    Delvarian
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    KOTOR is not BGEE related. Moving to Off Topic where you may continue to discuss. If a an opinion is reached for a proper feature request, then you will be welcome to repost in this forum with specific details and suggestions to be considered.
    The thing was that I was addressed in not the best way thrice, so I got mad, well, madder that I was already.
    Cuv said:

KOTOR is not BGEE related. Moving to Off Topic where you may continue to discuss. If a an opinion is reached for a proper feature request, then you will be welcome to repost in this forum with specific details and suggestions to be considered.

And that is how the dev's tell you that they don't care and that this couldn't be implemented, linking dialog options is not easy, and people should get more knowledge about the Infinity Engine before making threads.
    edited December 2013
    If they can't implement it, then they can't implement it.

Anyway, I'm glad you contribute to this site so I don't want to beat a dead horse. Your thread on using the game on a Jailbroken iPad is well done.
    Cuv said:

This thread is, of course, a request for improving BGEE. It is definitely properly placed in the iPad section. If you don't want it here, so be it. I have updated the title to make this more obvious.
    Yup, definitely belongs to iPad section as an iPad BGEE dialogue suggestion where iPad users can see it. KotOR is just incidental, it could have been any other game. It just so happened that it has the best dialogue selection for the aforementioned games. On another note, it's not yet fully-developed as a feature request yet as the input of iPad users and devs alike are still being gathered. Besides, seeing that iPad gesture requests are placed in iPad section, I can't see any reason why this should be any different.
    davemo
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @davemo Fair enough, will move it back to the ipad section.
    Illustairdavemo
    I noticed that the KOTOR-like UI suggestion was actually already made in 'The Definitive "Community Feedback"' thread for the touch UI.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I have big hands, but I figured out a simple way to select the correct dialogue option.
    When I was sliding my finger, sometimes I had this problem that made the whole text slide too. So I tried to touch the correct line, keep pressed, if it's the correct line OK, I simply stop touching, but if it's not the corrrect line I simply rotate slowly my finger (in the direction of the correct line of course) and then select the desired option.
    In this way I never had a problem.
    CrevsDaakIllustair
    One problem with iPad games in general is that when you lift a finger, you can't fully control which part of your finger tip will be the last to make contact with the screen. A difference of a millimeter can be enough to change an option. I have been using the sliding method since the latest update was released, but I also always save before talking to be safe.
  • fluxdeluxefluxdeluxe Member Posts: 15
    It's a great idea in my opinion, implement it a little more elegantly for BGEE but the idea is sound