Skip to content

Greater Restoration Question

In multiple instances, i have seen people post about how awesome greater restoration is, because it cures the entire party....wut?

For me, upon reading the spell it gives no indication of that, and only targets 1 person for the effects of the spell...Did something change in the EE, or are the 3 people i have seen say it cures the whole party on drugs?

Some clarification would be nice :D

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    It cures the whole party of all poisons, diseases, level drain etc and restores hp to maximum.

This has been the case since the original game. I know, cos that's what I've been playing for my LP for the last few months.

I still don't use it that much though, cos it leaves the caster fatigued, and is kinda slow for in-battle casting. Post-battle, u can achieve the same effect with multiple lower level spells. So I only have one or two memorised for an emergency.
  • unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107
    edited December 2013

It cures the whole party of all poisons, diseases, level drain etc and restores hp to maximum.

This has been the case since the original game. I know, cos that's what I've been playing for my LP for the last few months.

I still don't use it that much though, cos it leaves the caster fatigued, and is kinda slow for in-battle casting. Post-battle, u can achieve the same effect with multiple lower level spells. So I only have one or two memorised for an emergency.

But it doesn't...lol...The effect reads:

When this spell is cast, the life energy level of the recipient is raised. This reverses any previous life energy level drain of the creature by a force or monster. A Greater Restoration spell will also restore the Intelligence score of a creature affected by the Feeblemind spell and negate any form of insanity, such as confusion or berserk. It fully heals the target and cures any diseases or poisons. The casting of this spell is very draining on the priest, and will likely require rest immediately afterward.

Upon testing the spell out on a damaged party, it only healed ONE target...so wtf? Im so confused

Maybe its only in the EE

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Greater_Restoration

I'm starting to feel like i am insane, or everybody else is :P

UPDATE: yup just looked at ShadowKeeper AMN resources, as the same effect as mentioned above...Not sure why people think it did something else...
    edited December 2013
    unkinhead said:

But it doesn't...lol...The effect reads:

UPDATE: yup just looked at ShadowKeeper AMN resources, as the same effect as mentioned above...Not sure why people think it did something else...
    Some evidence for u. I did this just earlier. I have no mods for my BG 2 Vanilla game.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    In the Vanilla BG2 game there was a bug where Greater Restoration was healing everyone rather than just the one target. EE (and probably also the fixpacks for BG2) corrected this.
    @elminster
    I do have BG 2 Fixpack installed, but Corefixes only.

I didn't realise that this was a bug. It's a slight shame if it has been 'fixed'. I didn't use it much anyway cos it's very high level spell slot, so I only have one memorised for a serious emergency. Normally I can fix up the whole party at the end of a battle with multiple lower level spells anyway, and I don't like how restoration spells leaves the caster fatigued. If it cannot even be used as an emergency battlefield heal, I probably won't bother with it at all for BG 2 EE.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Well the description has always stated it only works on one creature and the spell description itself implied that so thats probably why it was addressed. At the end of the day though its a spell that cures disease, poison, level drain, confusion, fear, and intelligence drain (feeblemindedness). As well of course as the other benefit of fully healing its target. Finally it has a casting time of 3 (compared to the 6th level Heal spell that has a casting time of 9).
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Bug fixes are good
  • unkinheadunkinhead Member Posts: 107
    edited December 2013
    Ah thanks for the clarification, so it is a "bug" technically...That makes sense...

I only tested the spell itself in the EE, only read the effect in shadows of amn. So it was probably never fixed.

However i am not sure how i feel about it being fixed :(

Its a good thing because its: Fair, Appropriate, (It was overpowered before), etc
    Bad thing because: It would make clerics more awesome (which they should be), It would make my current playthrough easier :D

lol, anyways, thanks for all the replies, this was bothering the hell out of me.

Everytime i played through BG series i always read Greater Restoration and was like "Nah, thats pretty useless, rather use heal", And then someone was like "it heals your whole party" and i instantly opened BG and tested it out to be disappointed :D