Skip to content

BG2 EE won't run in full screen on my HP Pavillion laptop (has letterbox black bars on side)

PSUHammerPSUHammer Member Posts: 11
edited January 2014 in Windows PC (Archive)
My laptop is native 1920x1080 and is running a dedicated ATI mobility chip. Windows 7 all latest drivers. Other games on Steam like Torchlight and Walking Dead recognize and run in full screen. I have BG2 EE installed on my PC and it runs in widescreen. I installed it on the laptop and it runs, but runs with the black letterbox bars on either side (4:3 size, not 16:9). I tried updating the baldur.ini file to force 1920x1080 and it indeed launches full screen, just the active game window is cropped on either side.

Any suggestions? It is driving me crazy! Maybe the game doesn't like 1920x1080?

** EDIT
For the record, here are some common settings I have posted from a Notepad ++ extract of baldur.ini:

'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',
'Graphics', 'version', '4.1.11013 Compatibility Profile Context',
'Graphics', 'renderer', 'Radeon (TM) HD 7470M',
'Graphics', 'vendor', 'ATI Technologies Inc.',

Comments

• PSUHammerPSUHammer Member Posts: 11
    Here is a pic:

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited January 2014
    That's normal for the starting screen. They had a padding image to the sides originally in BG:EE, but they did away with that when they did the transparency work.

The game itself, while playing properly, shouldn't have that black padding.

Short of making the modifications to reintroduce the padding imagery yourself, there will likely continue to be black spaces to the sides.
    Post edited by Troodon80 on
  • PSUHammerPSUHammer Member Posts: 11
    Thank you. Correct, I just got done testing again and this time went into a game after all the introduction screens. It indeed scales to widescreen after the intro. I was puzzled as it is still letterboxed during the initial cut scenes and dialog in the starting dungeon. As soon as the UI starts, it opens up.

Consider this user error!! (or what I would call an ID10T error)